How do we turn this one around?

jaws73

Official Ticketer
It's a tough ask I think.

Maybe the historians can enlighten us about how often we have achieved success with a 2-0 deficit?

The crowd will play a massive part next Tuesday obviously, but what else needs to happen?

A return for Kent and Alfie would be huge but far from guaranteed. What else can give us some genuine hope that the Europa League Group stage isn't where we are headed? I need some encouragement because I am flattened right now.

We need to go back to the formations we used in games like Dortmund. Gio needs to stop fucking around and play formations that have worked - he needs to make changes when they don't work also.

The crowd will give them a lift, or completely destroy them but nothing will make any difference if Gio tries to mess around then gives up 5 mins in and goes for a 70 min nap.

Morelos and Kent do a Marvin and return

Other than that, it's pretty bleak but still achievable. The midfield has to be picked perfectly. Lundstram Jack Tillman is my first pick. Yilmaz has to build up fitness asap and start. Sands has to play like he did for the first 30 minutes. Tav has to have an absolute blinder. Colak needs to be supplied by Lawrence and Wright.

We have to score early. If we don't, changes and gambles need to be made early. Gio needs to show faith in Sakala, who is an effective substitute in games like this.

There's a lot of things to fix. Imo it all depends on Tav. He was utterly nullified tonight, and we lose every time when he's pinned back like that - Braga away, Leipzig away, Lyon at home and Frankfurt are notorious examples

Simply have to now risk Morelos and Kent
Start Davis also.

Jack and Kamara know they can swan about without a real challenger for their spot from the bench. That we’ve still not addressed central midfield in a serious way for years is a disgrace

Kent and hopefully Morelos.

Get the fullbacks high up the pitch.

Get Lundstram into midfield where he is far more influential on the game.

Decide who is going to partner Goldson and stick with it for a few games.

Maybe the historians can enlighten us about how often we have achieved success with a 2-0 deficit?

The crowd will play a massive part next Tuesday obviously, but what else needs to happen?

A return for Kent and Alfie would be huge but far from guaranteed. What else can give us some genuine hope that the Europa League Group stage isn't where we are headed? I need some encouragement because I am flattened right now.
How many times have we actually qualified for UCL through qualifiers?

Certainly in recent memory we haven't even come close.

Not giving away cheap goals and doing something (anything) in an attacking sense would be a start.

Seems like a big ask of this squad after what I witnessed this evening and on Saturday.

Need to forget that performance and play with a back four. Don’t play Jack and Kamara together. Play Lundstram further forward beside Tillman. Hopefully Kent back. Just play with bravery. Get tackles in, overturn play in midfield and attack with pace. Ibrox also won’t have 28 degrees of heat. Get right into them.

Attack them and show them less respect need an early goal as well. They're a decent side but when you setup the way we did and show them too much respect results like that happen.

Also don't use the same formation that got us to the final given the personnel has now changed as well.

Throw caution to the wind and get on with the job at hand.

Bloody hell, they are no better than a mid table SPL team on a good day.

They just had there's.........

How we turn it around is we score 1 in each half no more,no less then run right over the top of them as we did constantly last year.

How many times have we actually qualified for UCL through qualifiers?

Certainly in recent memory we haven't even come close.
Red star Belgrade 2007 was last time. 2009 and 2010 we qualified automatically. It’s not a bad record if you accept 2012-2021 as a write off

Red star - qualified
Malmö 2011 and 2021 - failure .

Ok it’s 1/3 but if we had turned it around this year it’s 50% . 1/4 however ain’t great

In both Europe an domestically we need to take the handbrake off. Attack teams. Play with intent.

The side to side and back stuff depresses me.

Jon

Tav
Goldson
Davies
Yilmaz

Lundstram
Davis

Wright
Tillman
Kent

Morelos (hopefully)

Need to forget that performance and play with a back four. Don’t play Jack and Kamara together. Play Lundstram further forward beside Tillman. Hopefully Kent back. Just play with bravery. Get tackles in, overturn play in midfield and attack with pace. Ibrox also won’t have 28 degrees of heat. Get right into them.

I think some underestimate what Kent does for our team. Even when not entirely on his 'A' game the space created for others is telling.

They parked the bus tonight and we hadn’t a clue how to get around it.
What the hell they going to be like at Ibrox next week defending a two goal lead.?
We need to come up with a solution and fast.

High tempo and get at them from the start. The way we did against the likes of Red Star and RB Leipzig. The crowd will be nervous but if we show attacking intent from the start, that should get the crowd up for it.

I do fear though that if we don't get an early goal, they'll settle into it and we'll struggle to break them down.

Hopefully Kent is fit to play and it would be magic if Alfie was too.

We should start with our regular 4-3-3 formation with Lundstram in midfield.

It doesn't matter who is selected if their attitude is weak and spineless like tonight. We need grit and determination to turn this around.

An early goal and see how they cope with it

Bin the 5 at back and go and get after them. We have nothing to lose now

Blow the roof off of Ibrox and go for it, if Kent and/or Morelos is fit I am confident. Also, start Yilmaz and Davies. We can do this.

All we can do is go for the throat at high tempo and hope for the best.

Kent and Morelos have to start if they can run.

Play the right team and set up on Saturday and win hopefully with a few good goals, this team needs a good win. Then we go for them at Ibrox on Tuesday, attacking play unlike tonight, run over the top of them like we should be doing. If it needs extra time then fair enough.

Barisic
Jack
Sands
Colak
Matondo

Neither should be starting next week

No 5 at the back either. Negative pish against an average team
Hard to disagree with that mate. I can understand the caution of the manager but the tempo once they decided to engage was laboured and predictable.

When you are thinking bring on Wright and Sakala you know it’s been a tough watch. And no harm to those lads as they are triers.

If Jack or Barisic start we can kiss the tie goodbye. Neither are good enough despite the love in for Jack on here. A good player in the first season or two but not good enough for where we are / aim to be as a club. His use of the ball is shocking.

For a start stop giving them so much respect and bin the 5 at the back. Get Davies in at and get barasic away to %^*& and play yilmaz from the start now.

Also bin playing 2 defensive centre mids. Go with lundstrum and Davis in the middle of the park and get Lawrence or Tillman as the no 10. Hopefully Kent is fit and I’d gamble on Morelos as he’s got to offer more than what colak has in the past 2 games.

Morelos and Kent do a Marvin and return

Other than that, it's pretty bleak but still achievable. The midfield has to be picked perfectly. Lundstram Jack Tillman is my first pick. Yilmaz has to build up fitness asap and start. Sands has to play like he did for the first 30 minutes. Tav has to have an absolute blinder. Colak needs to be supplied by Lawrence and Wright.

We have to score early. If we don't, changes and gambles need to be made early. Gio needs to show faith in Sakala, who is an effective substitute in games like this.

There's a lot of things to fix. Imo it all depends on Tav. He was utterly nullified tonight, and we lose every time when he's pinned back like that - Braga away, Leipzig away, Lyon at home and Frankfurt are notorious examples

It's not going to be any secret to any team we face in Europe this year that the first thing you do to Rangers is nullify Tav. We have to expect that to be in their game plan.

On paper, the additions of Motondo and Lawrence and Tilman and Colak and arguably Yilmaz should help us to produce attacks and goals from other areas if Tav is snuffed out. Obviously not tonight.

New players will need to get up to speed, old players return from injury, the manager get his tactics spot on, and the players not shit the bed. If we get all of that plus some luck, maybe it's a different game next week. But there is nothing we can take from that game tonight to build on.

Blow the roof off of Ibrox and go for it, if Kent and/or Morelos is fit I am confident. Also, start Yilmaz and Davies. We can do this.
The Euro neds might scupper that idea mate, with the entitled negativity which was very much to the fore last year against Malmo.

Obviously, I hope I’m wrong.

We are better on the front foot. We should be going out to smash teams from the off. But we play this passive patient to me to you shite far too often. Its slow and predictable and as we seen on Sat and tonight we end up a goal down and then it's a bun fight.

Increase the tempo 100%, if Kent is playing from the start and we go in at half time 1 nil up, then we've got the full second half to score one more.

Having Alfie on from the bench for the last half an hour should do it but only if we're a goal away.

Extra time and there's only one way it's going.

However if we don't have either Kent or Morelos then it's an uphill task and tbh even if we do manage to get it over the line either PSV or Monaco will easily dispatch us with tonights squad.

Last edited:
An early goal next week will change the whole game. I’m not writing us off for the CL yet

We are absolutely capable, oneould start Arfield and hopefully if Kent is back we will be more solid.

Increase the tempo 100%, if Kent is playing from the start and we go in at half time 1 nil up, then we've got the full second half to score one more.

Having Alfie on ftom the bench for the last half an hour should do it but only if we're a goal away.

Extra time and there's only one way it's going.

I am actually thinking that Kent and Alfie will be crucial which is of course no surprise. Without both? Not impossible but improbable (guess that is why I started this thread - what else?).

Hope to fk their arses collapse.
They will be pumped up when they come to Glasgow mate. They're riding on this wave right now where I think they believe they're really something special.

The stands are going to have to be literally bouncing when they turn up and we are just going to have to hope and pray that our team and coaching staff turn up too.

High tempo. Press them high up the park and try to force them to make mistakes. Batter them for 90 minutes. Run at them and either get crosses into the box or win set pieces.

High tempo. Press them high up the park and try to force them to make mistakes. Batter them for 90 minutes. Run at them and either get crosses into the box or win set pieces.

Has to be the approach, and we are capable of that especially with the crowd being even more vocal than we thought it might have to be.

For me, this is it.
An early goal, they crumble to pieces and we score again and go in 2-0 up at HT.

Then it is all to play for and the place is rocking for the second half.

More chance of Lana Wolf getting tanned in the centre circle at half time than this getting turned around absolutely no chance we are sh*te.
avatars-000508483059-1avthu-t500x500.jpg

I don’t think we do.

If we had two weeks and a couple more games before it then yeah, by all means.

They look ahead of us fitness-wise both physically and game level, we won’t make that up in a week.

Kent and Morelos have to feature I think for us to get through. Sad that we are still so reliant on 2 players after aw this time.

Back