How do we turn this one around?

I feel playing that back three and sticking with it was the most costly organisational problem we had tonight as it then was compounded by losing JL in MF and a vulnerable pairing in there against a functional Union team .

I’m genuinely shocked that that setup went the distance

I thought we felt we could have head to heads through the team but clearly he felt he couldn’t risk Goldson and Sands facing up to there two forwards .

Lundstram then was reduced to a basic defensive role which was an utter waste too . Neutralised his value in many ways .

Big strategic errors tonight imo let alone the individuals making regular personal mess-ups on top .

Ryan Jack looked to me like he was well under the required game level sharpness and to then have to face an opposition who had numerical advantages and were fired up compounded his exposure to being paired with just Kamara centrally

Not good at all

Last edited:
We have to throw caution to the wind and attack. Union look tidy and hard working but they're not some killer outfit that can pick us off at will. Treat it like the Antwerp game and just keep attacking and accept we might concede. Same as we should for most domestic games too BTW. No away goals allows this more.

They need to draw on the experience and performances from last season’s run.

Hate to say it, but the crowd have a huge responsibility to stay behind the team and not turn toxic if it’s still goalless (or worse) after 20 mins.

We have to throw caution to the wind and attack. Union look tidy and hard working but they're not some killer outfit that can pick us off at will. Treat it like the Antwerp game and just keep attacking and accept we might concede. Same as we should for most domestic games too BTW. No away goals allows this more.
I think they would have watched us struggle against livi and employed similar tactics knowing they had much better quality to break on us

It's a tough ask I think.

Maybe the historians can enlighten us about how often we have achieved success with a 2-0 deficit?

The crowd will play a massive part next Tuesday obviously, but what else needs to happen?

A return for Kent and Alfie would be huge but far from guaranteed. What else can give us some genuine hope that the Europa League Group stage isn't where we are headed? I need some encouragement because I am flattened right now.
Play a team similar to last seasons heroes as tbe current new players need time to find their feet.

The way we always get results when we play.

Aggressive high pressing and go over the top with bayonets fixed from the off.

Early goal and it’s game on.

I could see us absolutely pumping this mob at Ibrox as they are bang average. However, I could just as easily see it being 0-0 after 35 mins and the place being toxic.

I think we could score 3 goals in the first half against them at Ibrox. I don't think they are that good.

I also think we could put on another shit display like tonight though so who knows.

We need to come out the blocks hunting them down and play with more energy.
That mob sussed out how insipid we were after 10 minutes.

If we don’t do enough to keep the crowd involved, I reckon we’re doomed.

The most annoying thing about tonight is the fact ( Jackie McNamara here ) is that they weren't that good a side, we played much better teams last season. Im actually confident that we will do it next week, they are European novices who will never have experienced anything like a packed Ibrox, that and hopefully Kent, Alfie back should be enough to get us over the line.

I can't see it, it's possible but I think it's too early in the season for these rousing comebacks with new players.

I'm sad to say it but I think it's
Code:
cat-vibin-europe-league.gif
time for the fifth season on the trot.

Maybe it’s just me but the threads on here are outrageous after a bad result, sometimes these European games come up too quick for us, especially the champions league qualifiers, we are more than capable of winning the tie next week… I’ve probably picked the wrong thread to say this, apologies Op lol … All sorts of Declan’s/ Brendan’s stirring it up… it’s pretty obvious

We missed Ryan Kent massively, his side would usually be a danger side for the opposition tonite it was easy pickings for them.

Kent is key. When he is out, we are a one man team in many ways... stop Tav and you stop us. Kent engages defenders in the box and terrifies the life out of them. An early goal and it's game on. My worry is that we look like conceding at this level.

Play Scott Wright instead of Matondo.
Matondo will be no use against teams that sit in which unfortunately is the majority in Scotland.
Wright on the other hand at least try’s to link up play and get involved.
Kent Tillman Wright behind a striker.
2 in midfield and 4 at the back.

It's a tough ask I think.

Maybe the historians can enlighten us about how often we have achieved success with a 2-0 deficit?

The crowd will play a massive part next Tuesday obviously, but what else needs to happen?

A return for Kent and Alfie would be huge but far from guaranteed. What else can give us some genuine hope that the Europa League Group stage isn't where we are headed? I need some encouragement because I am flattened right now.
We don't, I think
To change it, Gio needs to change a philosophy he used in Holland and with us. That is slow, cagey, tight, and unimaginative. We need to be the opposite of most of that to have a chance of progression. I have no doubt the team will include Jack, Kamara and Lundstram. Nothing surer.

We do what we should have done last night. We play an attacking side and blow away a team far below our level.

Prep for it starts on Saturday.

Back