How do you think pro football is coming across during the crisis?

Some football clubs are morally bankrupt.....
pacific shelf 595 , st.pats , separate entity that reside at the dome have been morally bankrupt for over 40yrs , so it comes as no surprise to find them although being the self proclaimed richest club in scotland , to be first with their hand out for British tax payers money that should be going to much more worthwhile causes in a time of a national/world wide catastrophe , like the NHS for starters.........

Last edited:
Ok so in the case of Newcsstle because they use the scheme the players should take a cut so Ashley saves some cash
That's nuts
As for the argument they should take a cut because they are not playing, firstly they are losing out on appearance and win bonuses and secondly we don't do that in pre season

Serious question at what level of salary should cuts be required. A guy earning 1k a week at St Johnstone with two kids and a mortgage - should he take a cut?

I really don't get the argument that footballers should effectively be paying extra tax simply because they are footballers. I also don't get the argument that if they happen to be at a club that's badly run or has a chancer in charge who exploits poorly drafted legislation, none of which is their doing, they should give said chancer some relief on the contract they signed.

You can dress it up in all the faux mock moral outrage you like but what it comes down to is a lot of fans just don't like footballers, which is frankly wierd, and are jealous of them and love to see them somehow punished for daring to better than they were at playing football and making a nice living at it

It seems footballers are the new Muslims apparently to blame for all that's wrong

Which is handy for the politicians as they serve up another hate figure to deflect from the fact they are lazy, incompetent and irresponsible
The problem being that the government scheme is in place to help pay staffs wages so they have job security and the company can manage through difficult times, its a government bail out,
How can any company be needing a bail out if they haven't looked at every avenue first mainly highest earners taking a cut to help support other staff members keep a job.
They can't pick and choose who they don't want to affect and keep a bunch of prima donas in a bubble of ignorence right now.

I know what I'm saying may be wasted on you as by your responses of 'why should these multi millionaires suffer like the rest of us' show that you still have you Ryan giggs poster above your bed idolising how much you still want to be like him but
Why should the government scheme (flawed yes, but created and rushed through) be taken advantage of to line their pockets

Sums the majority of them up. The only loyalty they have is to their bank account. Not their employer or their fans.
722Q5K6.gif

Everyone has a right to protect their own interests and those of them close to them,I understand that- to a point.

A global pandemic supersedes that in my eyes,particularly for those earning in excess of five grand a week or so.Thats more than anyone should need imo.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not just footballers that should be helping here,the government should morally bring in an emergency tax for a short period to take from the rich but they would never get it through parliament due to others self greed

Personally don't think they are handling it very well.

Got into a few discussions (online) with folk and it seems they think footballers are entitled to their money and it is the clubs who are to blame, which is obviously all true. I just cant get my head round how players would not want to help their colleagues that keep their club moving from day to day while they earn in excess of £100000 a week.

For all we know the players of teams that haven't furloughed staff could be donating to helping them all but just don't want it made public which if they are is amazing.

It's a mixed bag - some clubs and players are appearing decent. However, a lot of coming across as pure scum.

The English Premiership for example. After the billions they've received they are absolutely gutted to be losing out on a couple of hundred millions pounds. That's rich considering they've royally fucked the transfer market.

A lot of football is coming across just as greedy as most people already think it is. Some clubs will not come out of it well. A lot of governing bodies will hopefully, finally, be outed for the money grabbing uncaring arseholes they are.

Personally don't think they are handling it very well.

Got into a few discussions (online) with folk and it seems they think footballers are entitled to their money and it is the clubs who are to blame, which is obviously all true. I just cant get my head round how players would not want to help their colleagues that keep their club moving from day to day while they earn in excess of £100000 a week.

For all we know the players of teams that haven't furloughed staff could be donating to helping them all but just don't want it made public which if they are is amazing.

Man Utd players have agreed to a 30% cut based upon it going to the NHS;)

The football world has shown itself to be completely out of touch.

If no money comes in players are going to have to accept cuts. Where else can they go? Every country is affected.

Football is a corrupt, morally bankrupt and ethically dubious sport, so it's not a surprise that it's business as usual in their handling of a worldwide crisis.

However, as the hysterical attention turns towards talented young men giving up their money, I wonder why football players are always the ones in the spotlight when it comes to these weird national ruminations on morality and money. Why are footballers always the ones in the spotlight when it comes to issues like this? Where's the outrage at the obscene wealth of hedge fund managers, bankers, oligarchs, businessmen, company owners, even the monarchy? Are these people going to give up their money as well? Are any of the MPs advocating a reduced wage for footballers advocating one for themselves? The whole thing feels like one of these grandstanding, bullying tabloid campaigns; you can almost picture the Sun leading with it tomorrow, an image of Lord Kitchener on their front page: WE NEED YOU TO GIVE UP YOUR WAGES, FOOTBALLERS!

Footballers' wages are always in the news but they're rarely under the spotlight until matters of national/universal security. Once this crisis is resolved it'll be back to normal, and footballers will continue to pick up an excessively high wage with next to no scrutiny.

Very badly and more and more people will turn on them.

I dont think linekar helped them much last night either.

basically on every news outlet blaming the clubs - he know the players have the clubs over a barrel

Absolutely horrific clubs with turn over of millions asking for a bail out from the government how does that fare in fair play and government interference .It just proves most football clubs are not solvent and why have they not taken insurance out against this?

I’m sure a lot of individual players are doing good things and probably don’t necessarily want it publicised or to be thanked for it.

However, the likes of Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish are setting an abysmal example. The one thing each and every one of us can do to help the situation (regardless of wealth or status) is follow the rules.

Those two individuals (and no doubt there are others) either don’t think the rules apply to them or that they can do whatever they want as long as they sorry afterwards.

It would never happen but it would be brilliant if either City or Villa sacked the individual and the rest of the football world shunned them

When you are on between £10k to £200k a week taking a cut of 50% won’t put you on the bread line.

When you’re on £200 a week and trying to support a wife and two kids a 50% cut ain’t so funny.

Football is broken, and has been ever since it was re-packaged for mass tv/media consumption. Money and greed have ruined the game ever since. TV money in particular has skewed the game so widely out of sinc between the have’s and the have nots’ that it will never recover on it’s current path. Also, look at the corruption at the top level of the game with questionable countries being allowed to host world cups with horrendous human rights records. Officials are paid off and ‘football’ looks the other way, so we are all at fault.

What this pandemic has highlighted is the sickening levels of money in the modern game and the majority at the higher levels just really don’t care that much about anyone other than themselves.

I hope and pray this will be the catalyst for it all to go pop. It will be a busted flush after all this has passed and all the money grabbing charlatans will be in for the shock of their greedy, self-serving lives. We live in hope!

Money and greed are the root of all evil as someone once said !

Modern football is the epitome of this.

Back