How far will England go ?

How far will England get in the upcoming World cup ?

• Its coming home

Votes: 52 6.3%
  • Deep run but wont win it

Votes: 544 65.7%
  • Knocked out Asap

Votes: 239 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is their World Cup Squad

England squad in full​

Goalkeepers
JORDAN PICKFORD (Club: Everton, Age: 28, Caps: 45, Goals: 0)

NICK POPE (Newcastle, 30, 10, 0)
AARON RAMSDALE (Arsenal, 24, 3, 0)
Defenders
KYLE WALKER (Manchester City, 32, 70, 0)

TRENT ALEXANDER-ARNOLD (Liverpool, 24, 17, 1)

KIERAN TRIPPIER (Newcastle, 32, 37, 1)
BEN WHITE (Arsenal, 25, 4, 0)
CONOR COADY (Everton - on loan from Wolves, 29, 10, 1)

HARRY MAGUIRE (Manchester United, 29, 48, 7)

JOHN STONES (Manchester City, 28, 59, 3)

ERIC DIER (Tottenham, 28, 47, 3)
LUKE SHAW (Manchester United, 27, 23, 3)

Midfielders
DECLAN RICE (West Ham, 23, 34, 2)

JUDE BELLINGHAM (Borussia Dortmund, 19, 17, 0)

CONOR GALLAGHER (Chelsea, 22, 4, 0)
KALVIN PHILLIPS (Manchester City, 26, 23, 0)
JORDAN HENDERSON (Liverpool, 32, 70, 2)

MASON MOUNT (Chelsea, 23, 32, 5)

JAMES MADDISON (Leicester, 25, 1, 0)

Forwards
HARRY KANE (Tottenham, 29, 75, 51)

RAHEEM STERLING (Chelsea, 27, 79, 19)

JACK GREALISH (Manchester City, 27, 24, 1)

PHIL FODEN (Manchester City, 22, 18, 2)

BUKAYO SAKA (Arsenal, 21, 20, 4)

MARCUS RASHFORD (Manchester United, 25, 46, 12)

CALLUM WILSON (Newcastle, 30, 4, 1)

He has his faults, but for a guy taking his nation to a WC semi and euro final, he takes some amount of abuse.
Whilst on paper they’re obviously both big achievements I’m not sure the tournaments were that good. The teams they beat to get to those games and the way they played wasn’t that great. He sticks with a 5 when England have a host of attacking talent and his team/squad selection is questionable.

Having many friends who are English and follow the National team, I hope they do well - very jealous of the fact that our nation will never see the highs that they experienced at the last two Major Championships.

Reality is that this is a weak England Squad - the defence looks abysmal, though I suspect Coady may be the surprise find.

There are stronger teams, but who knows just how anybody will perform in Qatar in November/December.

They'll probably win it.

Strangely a lot less pressure on this England squad to do well. That could work well for them but I think the reality is they are a really weak bunch middle to back - that defence will surely be ripped apart by the first decent team they face.

France to win it for me - they have some of the best players on the planet right now with no weaknesses.

I feel their best players are past their best and while they have a lot of good ones, plus no real weaknesses, I dont think theyll have enough to beat the likes of Brazil, Argentina or even Germany.

Southgate is not a suit man for the FA and such but a poor Coach. Theyve had really good chances to win and when it came to the crunch he just was too cautious and failed.

Am I right in saying all the next round / quarters etc are all mapped out in terms of which group can do each other and so on?

Am I right in saying all the next round / quarters etc are all mapped out in terms of which group can do each other and so on?
Yeah, I don’t think it’s ever been done like the FA Cup has it? Unless this is a wind up!

Ive said a deep run but they might not even make the quarters. Itll be their defence that will be their achilles heel again.

They could finish above Croatia & it's more to do with Spain having a howler in them. The weather is gonna hurt sides like Croatia & benefit countries from warmer climates.

I fully expect it to be full on high temperature, constant sunshine - but it's far from definite
The Asian Games were held there a few years back at the same time of year
The closing ceremony took place in a gale & it was cold enough for jumpers & jackets

Would hate to see them win it.
Only because the press would be insufferable. I like the players and they’re definitely good enough but my god it would be hell listening to months of gloating.

On a similar note; How long (in seconds) into this WC coverage before they mention ‘66?

They will stroll the group, but can't see then getting further than the quarters unless the draw opens up for them like it did in Russia.
The defence isn't the best and they're too reliant on Kane getting the goals imo.

Would hate to see them win it.
Only because the press would be insufferable. I like the players and they’re definitely good enough but my god it would be hell listening to months of gloating.

On a similar note; How long (in seconds) into this WC coverage before they mention ‘66?

It will be included in the opening montage o the first live coverage next week.

Really surprised Trent Alexander-Arnold only has 17 caps, the same number as Bellingham.

I think we'll get to the quarters and if we get Denmark there then we can make the semis.

Realistically we are a top 8 team but on a level below the tournament favourites unfortunately.

Harry Kane will be blowing out his arse after 30 minutes in the heat, South American team or France will knock them out comfortably imo.

If all goes according to seeding... it's a good side of the draw, avoiding Argentina, Brazil and Spain.

If they win their group, they'd be looking at Holland/Senegal in the last 16; winners of France/Denmark vs. Poland/Mexico in the QFs.

They could then find themselves vs. Croatia in the SFs.

Difficult games but England should be confident going into any of those.

They qualify out of their group but depending on who finishes where it could be Netherlands in the knockouts… and then potentially France or Argentina.

I think this England squad is lacking talent that can take control of a game and do something to turn it around.

Really surprised Trent Alexander-Arnold only has 17 caps, the same number as Bellingham.
He's a bit suspect defensively at times would expect more pressure on him defensively at international level with England's system, can kinda see why Southgate doesn't fancy him.

Great passing ability for a RB though.

Whilst on paper they’re obviously both big achievements I’m not sure the tournaments were that good. The teams they beat to get to those games and the way they played wasn’t that great. He sticks with a 5 when England have a host of attacking talent and his team/squad selection is questionable.
The tournaments were not good- do you mean good to watch? Thats in the eye of the beholder. The fact is they were playing against the teams who were good enough to qualify to get there, then the teams good enough to make it to the knock outs and so on.
You can only beat whats in front of you , as they say.

A bit like timmy saying dortmund and liepzig were not good last season because we beat them.

The tournaments were not good- do you mean good to watch? Thats in the eye of the beholder. The fact is they were playing against the teams who were good enough to qualify to get there, then the teams good enough to make it to the knock outs and so on.
You can only beat whats in front of you , as they say.

A bit like timmy saying dortmund and liepzig were not good last season because we beat them.
Your bottom paragraphs not really comparable as we beat some of the favourites on the way to the final.

2018 World Cup for example they scraped past Tunisia, hammered Panama and were beaten by Belgium. Then scraped past Columbia on penalties, beat Sweden and then beaten by Croatia.

The Euros they narrowly beat Croatia and the Czech Republic, then drew with Scotland. Beat a pretty good Germany team then Ukraine and beaten by Italy in the final.

I don’t understand the notion that England are somehow punching above their weight with results like that or that either was really a massive achievement. England with the squad they have should be achieving results like that with the draws they had.

I don't think we will do as good as the last 2 tournaments.

The team has already peaked under Southgate.

Even if it does come home, I would rather win the next one in a proper world cup, not this Arab Oil Sponsored Cup.

Think they will get beat by France in the quarters. The top teams seem to have the strongest squads in years so it should be a great tournament to watch.

You really would expect England to qualify as winners of their group
But if their recent performances are anything to go by - they could struggle against spoiling tactics or a decent attacking side
So a lot might depend on who they might meet after the group stage
Most teams that get to the later stages seem to build up momentum as they progress even if they don't get off to the best of starts
All told I think they're going to need more than average luck & kind draws in the later stages -
I'm sure there's a few teams capable of giving them a doing -
Let's hope that happens- because living in England it would be utterly unbearable if they won it

They are in the mix with the 5 or 6 other teams who aren’t there to make up the numbers. I honestly think that they might just do it. Foden and Bellingham would get into nearly every World Cup starting 11 plus in kane they have the striker who will put chances away
Nope........................and defo nope.

Back