How good was Dave Smith??

He played in midfield.
He was actually very good in midfield, but it was difficult for him as he was immediately compared to Baxter, which by the way was a good comparison as they both had that composed controlled style with an array of accurate passing.
I seem to recall that in the 1967 final against Bayern Dave had a fine game and was instrumental in Rangers probably having the better of the outfield play despite the final score.

The problem for Dave is that he was born in the wrong country.
The British preferred a combatative type player, such as Bremner, Greig, or Alan Ball in the middle of the park rather than a constructive composed thinking sort.
Had Dave been Italian or Spanish he would have gained far more international caps of that I am certain.
Pretty-much sums up my take. When I was a cub my auld man like to go to the enclosure and it was tricky to see how the team performed tactically.

When I went with my uncle we'd stand at the back of the Copland - with a bird's eye view of the game - and he'd point out tactics and formations.

He had impeccable taste. His two favourite players of that era were Dave Smith and Ronnie McKinnon. Two football-first players and two absolute gents.

He could have played in the great Brazilian teams. He glided through games and could effortlessly time a tackle. He had the best left foot I’ve ever seen in a footballer. Very much a modern footballer before his time.

He could have played in the great Brazilian teams. He glided through games and could effortlessly time a tackle. He had the best left foot I’ve ever seen in a footballer. Very much a modern footballer before his time.
Agree with most of your post but Alberta had a much harder shot…Der Hammer

Watched Rangers 72 earlier on prime and Dave Smith is very prominent throughout the film

im too young to have seen him play and there isnt much footage of him from that era except from that ECWC win

any older Bears have any more stories/opinions on him?
He was a very calm footballer who made time for himself but his brain

My dad said there was a hint of Baxter about him. So calm and classy on the ball.
Most of what people have said already kinda covers him I think, but the old man really loved Smith’s style. A proper footballer.

There was quite a lot of Baxter in him especially his cultured left foot and the time he seemed to have to play the ball. But he was more disciplined, better defensively but not as exciting to watch. Each had their own "support" within the fanbase but in truth both were great Rangers players in their own right.

Back