How good was John Charles? (Wales, Leeds, Juventus)

Way before my time, but I always remember an episode of Football Italia when they took JC to Turin to talk about his time with Juve.

They were talking away and unannounced Del Piero walks up to him to shake his hand. He looked in awe of Charles.

Him and Sivori, his striking partner, are legends with Juventus, which tells you a lot.

3nl57uH.jpg

He scored over 100 goals for Juve in about 150 league games. Not sure if he always played centre-forward there.

He described Northern Ireland's Billy Cush as one of the most difficult players to play against along with Alfredo Di Stefano :D all I know about him really.

I first read or heard about John Charles when Ian Rush left the horrible Scousers and signed for Juventus, where Charles, a fellow Welshman, had been a success.

He could play as a No. 9 or a No. 5. His Leeds career, apart from one season, was in division 2 but his whole career at Juve was in Serie A. 79 goals in 1st 111 games for Juve.
Never cautioned in Italy, he was called the gentle giant. He was tall (6'2") for a player in those days. Won Serie A 3 times in 5 years, also top scorer once.

He scored over 100 goals for Juve in about 150 league games. Not sure if he always played centre-forward there.

From what I've read, he was as good a centre half as he was centre forward.

Derek Johnstone was always thought of as versatile as John Charles when he broke through.

And we don't 'big up' or exagerate as a rule.

One of the original genuine superstars. And a real gentleman as well. We moved down to England 35 years ago and my then 10 year old son went to one of those week long Ian St John Soccer schools. A few Leeds legends there, including Mr Charles, who my boy said took the time to talk to all the kids.

As an aside, my son got the Player of the Day award one of the days, went up in his Rangers strip to get his prize and Eddie Gray said “If I’d known you were wearing that you wouldn’t have won”! Total absence of malice though. Changed days unfortunately.

He played against Scotland at Hampden. In the dying minutes of the game he was clean through on goal with Willie Telfer pursuing him. The fans wanted Telfer to chop him down but he later claimed it was against his ethos and Charles scored to deny Scotland the win.
Telfer would never be selected for Scotland again.
Though he did win a transfer to Rangers. The oldest player to ever sign for the club at that time.

One of the original genuine superstars. And a real gentleman as well. We moved down to England 35 years ago and my then 10 year old son went to one of those week long Ian St John Soccer schools. A few Leeds legends there, including Mr Charles, who my boy said took the time to talk to all the kids.

As an aside, my son got the Player of the Day award one of the days, went up in his Rangers strip to get his prize and Eddie Gray said “If I’d known you were wearing that you wouldn’t have won”! Total absence of malice though. Changed days unfortunately.

Eddie Gray was a gentleman and that would have been said tongue in cheek.

As was his old man. The Grays stayed beneath my paternal grandparents in a close in Castlemilk.

Mr Gray snr told my granda of how Sean Fallon gave it the religious blackmail, when trying to sign him for the filth circa 1964/65ish.

Not verbatim, but near enough and you get the gist.

Mr Gray - How much will you pay for my son signing on?

Fallon - Well nothing, he comes from a good Catholic family.

Mr Gray - Well Leeds (who I think at that time, were in the old second division) have promised Eddie a great signing on fee, so fcuk off.

My old man also told me about Ne'erday 1969. Him, his brothers and my granda got out of a taxi after the game (we beat the yahoos 1-0) at my granny's house to carry on the festivities.

As they were going up the stairs, Mr Gray opened the door and with a bottle of whisky in his hands, he said to my granda 'I'm coming up to sit in with you, she (Mrs Gray) is in with her sisters, so sod that.

Now, believe me, he was in with ome staunch/Rangers company that night and he didn't mind.

Mr Gray snr actually made me a Rangers shield when I was a boy.

Eddie Gray was a gentleman and that would have been said tongue in cheek.

As was his old man. The Grays stayed beneath my paternal grandparents in a close in Castlemilk.

Mr Gray snr told my granda of how Sean Fallon gave it the religious blackmail, when trying to sign him for the filth circa 1964/65ish.

Not verbatim, but near enough and you get the gist.

Mr Gray - How much will you pay for my son signing on?

Fallon - Well nothing, he comes from a good Catholic family.

Mr Gray - Well Leeds (who I think at that time, were in the old second division) have promised Eddie a great signing on fee, so fcuk off.

My old man also told me about Ne'erday 1969. Him, his brothers and my granda got out of a taxi after the game (we beat the yahoos 1-0) at my granny's house to carry on the festivities.

As they were going up the stairs, Mr Gray opened the door and with a bottle of whisky in his hands, he said to my granda 'I'm coming up to sit in with you, she (Mrs Gray) is in with her sisters, so sod that.

Now, believe me, he was in with ome staunch/Rangers company that night and he didn't mind.

Mr Gray snr actually made me a Rangers shield when I was a boy.

Way before my time, but I always remember an episode of Football Italia when they took JC to Turin to talk about his time with Juve.

They were talking away and unannounced Del Piero walks up to him to shake his hand. He looked in awe of Charles.

Him and Sivori, his striking partner, are legends with Juventus, which tells you a lot.
Was that not a thing with this chap?
He was like Derek Johnstone, some years later, and as comfortable at centre half as centre forward?

If you are classed as a legend at a club like Juventus that is an incredible honour

These are fantastic replies. I will have to read properly in a bit, can’t wait.

Seems like he was some guy then :)

My father in law started watching football in the 50s and continued to do so till he passed a few years back.
Would always wax lyrical about John Charles as the best player he had ever seen and the auld boy saw a fair amount over the years.

He took some real punishment in games for Juve from opposition players, but he never retaliated.
I think there was a story where he turned down an opportunity to score in the Turin derby as a Torino player was laid out injured. That night Charles was woken in the middle of the night by a group of Torino fans who turned up to thank him for his sportsmanship. He invited them into his house and they drank all his wine in his cellar!
When they asked Jack Charlton to pick his all time 11 he couldn't decide where he would select him ,as a centre half or centre forward as he thought he was that good in both positions.

Probably the fact that you have started a thread about the man in 2024 shows how much that he meant to British and European football mate.

Long before my time but obviously a great player of his time.

Back