How good was Ronaldinho?

Went on line to have a look at his career , strangest fact was he was to sign for St Mirren early in his career only thing that stopped it happening was a dodgy passport so couldn't get a work permit. Didn't know that !!!

I suppose Ravanelli and Caniggia ended up at Dundee.

Still seems like a nonsense story that wasn't even remotely true or close to happening.

Went on line to have a look at his career , strangest fact was he was to sign for St Mirren early in his career only thing that stopped it happening was a dodgy passport so couldn't get a work permit. Didn't know that !!!

Ricky Gillies was there at the time so he’d have probably struggled for game time.

Sometimes I think he’s forgotten about. Him and kaka. Fantasy teams tend not to metion them two. Ridiculous the things he did

I like the sentiment but I don't think it has to be exaggerated. He didn't invent most of those tricks, but he's the first player who ever managed to pull them all off (at the same time) in a convincing and effective way at the highest level.

I think Rivelino did the elastico for a start.

Even if he didn’t he’s still the only player I’ve ever seen that’s managed to pull them off consistently over a sustained period of time.

He was on a different level.

More naturally gifted than anyone I’ve ever seen including Zidane and Messi.

Remember that time when Celtc played Barcelona Ronaldinho was awestruck watching McGeady during his warm-up, claimed the deranged paedos over at the Stade de Gadd.

McGeady is associated with the trick that involves a reverse Cruyff turn. Whether or not he was completely overrated, a repugnant human being and achieved next to nothing in the game in line with the potential he had, he had that creative flair. For me the biggest defence of Ronaldinho being the best player of all time is that he managed to demonstrate that kind of 'inventive' skill with being an effective player at the top level and winning everything you can in the game. Okocha and Lee Trundle were also good at tricks and doing things that entertained people. It's not quite the same as being the best player in the world, winning the World Cup and the Champions League while doing them.

Sometimes I think he’s forgotten about. Him and kaka. Fantasy teams tend not to metion them two. Ridiculous the things he did

Kaka was the best player in the world for a year or two. I think I started a thread on here years ago that basically tried to list who the best player in the world was on a year-by-year basis. You'll get guys like Modric or Cannavaro winning the award while the general consensus is that Messi is the best player in the world by a huge distance. I think that Kaka was that player for a period of time post-Ronaldinho and pre-Messi.

May be talking Pi55 but was he not in the PSG team we knocked out about 20yr ago..

He was, a young pup then.

He also chose Barcelona over Manchester United because he preferred the social scene and weather in Barca I'm sure I read somewhere.

He was a bit of a maverick I think.

He also chose Barcelona over Manchester United because he preferred the social scene in Barca I'm sure I read somewhere.

Still played at Ibrox and never won, thought he was a great player though not as good as my hero..CR7

If there’s n all time Brazil 11 and 5 on the subs bench, he’s still in the crowd cheering them on.
Not a patch on the stars from the late 50s, 60’s and the 70 or 82’ World Cup teams.

IMO of course!!!

I suppose Ravanelli and Caniggia ended up at Dundee.

Still seems like a nonsense story that wasn't even remotely true or close to happening.
Couldnt believe what I was reading myself goggled it and all the nationals went with the story mind you if the Sun and Rhebel we're heading it , it must have been true lol

He also chose Barcelona over Manchester United because he preferred the social scene and weather in Barca I'm sure I read somewhere.

Yep, Arteta chose Rangers from Barca after playing for PSG in those games.

Absolute genius with a ball at his feet , a total legend and maybe the most naturally gifted player ever , played with that same smile on his face every game , proper football Legend.

He was definitely the best in the world during that 2005-06 season, league and CL before his best world cup.

The way he would play with a huge smile on his face, even after escaping near leg breaking tackles, epitomised the beautiful game.

As has been said probably the most entertaining player and probably the most naturally talented.....but he didn’t apply himself as much as Ronaldo or Messi....a lifestyle more aligned to Maradonnas than Messi. Retired some 5 or 6 yrs ago and still not 40!

Wonderful to watch in his pomp. When he got the ball, the anticipation of a crazy bit of skill was always there, an out and out entertainer.

He was definitely the best in the world during that 2005-06 season, league and CL before his best world cup.

The way he would play with a huge smile on his face, even after escaping near leg breaking tackles, epitomised the beautiful game.

He was excellent in the 2002 World Cup as well.

He could nutmeg Heather Mills.

My favourite player of all time outwith Rangers.

Last edited:
He was excellent in the 2002 World Cup as well.

Think of all of the boring arguments about Messi not being the best because he never carried an average Argentina team to winning the World Cup. And then remember that the Brazil 2002 team had Kleberson and Roque Junior in the starting eleven.

I watched him in the Nou Camp messing about before the game. He was kicking the ball over his own head, then back heeling it back over. He done this about 5 times without the ball touching the ground. If we're just talking raw skill, he must be up there with the best ever.

My wife and I were doing the guided tour the day he was announced, we were in the directors box with the tour guide when she said someone special was about to come into the box to be interviewed but never said who it was and then a few minutes later in he walked in right in front of us. We were told we could wait but keep quiet and a short time later he went out onto the park to be filmed mucking about with a ball. We went inside after that and met Patrick Kluivert, good trip that one.

I loved watching him in his prime. An incredible talent. In terms of technical ability, he was only second to Zidane for me, who looked even more composed and elegant on the ball for me.

I remember when we played PSG I was buzzing to see him play at Ibrox cause he had been in the new Nike advert. He didn’t do much against us and gladly we went through.

Used to love watching him play. Sensational plerr.

Probably the only player I’ve ever seen at the elite level just turn up and take the piss out of the opposition for a laugh as if it was a kickabout in the school playground
Be interesting to think how good he’d have been if he was a youngster and came through under a Pep,Klopp... when professionalism is everything

Ronaldinho looked like he played for the banter, always had a smile on his face, took the pish with the absolute ridiculous and I will always remember him getting a standing ovation in the Bernabeau after scoring a hat trick. Will probably never be seen again, he was simply a genius.

Best in the world for a few years.

One of the greatest of all times.

Hands down the most naturally gifted footballer to ever touch a ball.

Think that sums it up.

You also have to remember that this guy actually invented most of the tricks that professional footballers are still trying to imitate now.

The most talented footballer i’ve ever seen. For two years he was on another planet.

The standing ovation at the Bernabau was incredible!

Ronaldinho looked like he played for the banter, always had a smile on his face, took the pish with the absolute ridiculous and I will always remember him getting a standing ovation in the Bernabeau after scoring a hat trick. Will probably never be seen again, he was simply a genius.

How would he have responded to a manager like that? He was supposedly on the Randan for days on end. :))

Back