How many first 11 new signings do we require?

How many new first 11 starters do you think we need to win the league next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What we need reminds me of the description Rodney, Del & Grandad gave of the guy to Slater in Only Fools & Horses.

We want quality, but we might not have any money, we want leaders & winners even if they've not won anything, we want players who know the league & won't hide at places like Tynecastle but we don't want SPL journeymen, preferably good Rangers players to play for the jersey but Scottish players aren't really good enough.

We need 4 first 11 players (depending on departures)

Mcgregor

Tav
Helander
New signing
Borna

Jack
New signing (Hagi probable)
Davis

Kent
New signing (Replace Morelos)
New signing (right wing / right number 10 whatever)

Nobody could question James Tavernier is a good footballer. The concern is his mental state after 5 years of kickings.

Defending Tavernier is probably the thing I've spent the most time doing while I've posted on FF. As recently as his mistake against YB this season.

However, it feels like now is a good time for him to move on. He's 28 and it's one of the last times we'll get good money for him.

I think the team would benefit from a new voice as captain.

Tavernier has just been at the centre of too many failure stories.

Five starters minimum. Too many in this squad are masters of failure and will never win anything of note.

Every single midfielder needs upgraded. That’s where I’d be looking as a matter of urgency.

We both know that won't be happening mate.

Our midfield has totally dominated Celtic's midfield in 4 out of the last 6 meetings and in one of the other 2, they more than held their own when it was 10 v 11 at the piggery.

What we need is more depth of a similar quality in the midfield so we can shift the load a bit.

Davis and Jack, in particular played too many high intensity games and didn't get the required recovery time needed.

5 including Hagi based on us selling our two most talented players in Tav and Morelos who imho don’t want to be here(subconsciously at least).

RB to replace Tav Svenson?
DM Fer?
LW Linssen?
ST Prevljak?

I think the above suggestions are the kind of level we would need as a minimum.Need to play a lot faster tempo without buff to rely on also.

Nobody could question James Tavernier is a good footballer. The concern is his mental state after 5 years of kickings.

Defending Tavernier is probably the thing I've spent the most time doing while I've posted on FF. As recently as his mistake against YB this season.

However, it feels like now is a good time for him to move on. He's 28 and it's one of the last times we'll get good money for him.

I think the team would benefit from a new voice as captain.

Tavernier has just been at the centre of too many failure stories.

I’ve also defended him a lot but after the statement in our programme no less, I think it shows the negative mindset he has.

Wattie would never have allowed that to happen imo,he’d have been stripped of the captaincy at least if not transfer listed for that alone.

He is an excellent player,but that means the square root of Jack shit if his heads not right.

We both know that won't be happening mate.

Our midfield has totally dominated Celtic's midfield in 4 out of the last 6 meetings and in one of the other 2, they more than held their own when it was 10 v 11 at the piggery.

What we need is more depth of a similar quality in the midfield so we can shift the load a bit.

Davis and Jack, in particular played too many high intensity games and didn't get the required recovery time needed.
The team as whole can 'get up' for the Celtic game but across a season they lack consistency and the goal return from midfield is not title winning stuff.

The key is to find a hard bastard of a captain that will die for the club. This will rub off to the other players. We need a do-or-die attitude on the pitch. That was our weakness that reared its ugly head in January and saw us collapse. Davis couldn’t sustain his quality due to being overplayed for his age. Arfield is good but he too is aging. Morelos chucked it. It’s finding the quality at a price we can afford. Not easy. We can do it in Europe and against the mentally challengeds when it suits, but we need quality ’bread& butter’ players that will drag us over the line against lesser teams. SG knows this but is restrained by finances. And even if we find some special players there is no guarantee that they will perform throughout the entire season. Think Negri. Think Morelos. Some hard decisions ahead of us. Starting point is a new captain.

The team as whole can 'get up' for the Celtic game but across a season they lack consistency and the goal return from midfield is not title winning stuff.

We were the top scoring team in the league before the new year break uncle.

Scoring goals wasn't a problem up until then.

However, I would hope the proposed signing of Hagi would mean more goals coming from outside Defoe or Morelos.

5+
If we are keeping what we have we are accepting what we have.
In an ideal world, most of who we watched last season would be our backup squad. That's what we need to strive for.
Shagger
Barasic
Aribo
Possibly Hagi

They are the only ones id pick pick as safe.
Everybody else, for one reason or another I'm hoping for better.

However, I would hope the proposed signing of Hagi would mean more goals coming from outside Defoe or Morelos.
It's about doing it over a season though and winning a title.

Being able to perform in fits and starts is no use to us.

This team has had a ton of criticism but how they've performed in OF games is not one of them. I don't think anyone is unhappy about those performances.

Christ some hot takes on here. We're in a global pandemic and are unlikely to have massive funds available. Anyone budding for Morelos will likely reduce the figure by 30-40%.

Last season showed we're really close. For me we need - a left back to compete with Borna. Douglas from Leeds would be good target. We need a centre mid with a bit of dig that can grab a goal (may have to be 2 separate players). Certain away games we need to go win the battle first and be bastards to play against. Others we need a bit of creativity to break down.

We need a goal scoring right forward. Toughest one to get on our budgets IMO. Can we get a 25/26yr old from the EPL on loan?

At least 1, possibly 2 strikers dependant on Alfie situation. Our season went to shit last year when he was initially out suspended January and then looked like he lost interest. The way we play we either need a Morelos MK2 to replicate our style or need to tactically vary it to go 2 up front. Eg target man + Defoe (JD good option for certain home games but we need a strong striker for Tynecastle / Sheep etc). With perhaps as many as 12 fringe players going I'd like to see us invest what wages / cash we have in 6 quality replacements. Free transfers/ loans / signings.

Funnily enough the COVID situation could make certain players within reach but depends on the fans renewing tickets (very difficult with likely no games to physically attend until Xmas) and the investors to put up further loans for equity.

It’s not the number but the quality that’s important

we could sign 2 quality players who lead from the front, thrive on pressure and take control of games and it would transform that team

We proved last season up until Xmas that we have some very good players the equal if not better than the mhanks ......confidence fell off the edge of a cliff after that

A midfielder a la BarryFerguson and a Centre Half like Davie Weir instils confidence throughout the rest of the team and allows good players to thrive

If no one leaves then I think we need 3 starters:
1) midfield general. Davis is finally fading unfortunately and, good as Jack, Kamara and Aribo can be, we don’t have someone who will consistently just grab the game by the balls and boss it.
2) Another striker. Defoe is also fading. He definitely struggled in the second half of the season and seemed to have lost a half yard. I suspect much of that is match sharpness. He’s just no longer at an age where he can be thrown in for one game and expected to perform. The other striker may not always start but would feature regularly if Alfie was off form or as an early second half sub for one of the number 10s. The bloke that we nearly got right at the end of the January transfer window sounded ideal.
3) Goalkeeper. Shagger is also aging and I’m not certain how long he can keep going at the very top level.

We also need some back up at full back and back up wingers that we can trust to play but these would all be second string.

If you don’t include Hagi as “new” and if Alfredo doesn’t leave then 2-3? It’s difficult because we have a lot of ‘good’ options but not enough ‘great’ (in terms of current level Scottish football).

If we play with wide men then the only one of sufficient quality who can play it as a natural position is Kent (Hagi should be more central).

While we have a lot of good options, Jack is the only guaranteed centre midfield starter for me. Davis started brilliantly (team of the season form) but really tailed off after Christmas and he is getting older so if he is not back to his old self then need someone new. Kamara was full of mistakes and Docherty (whilst I think he should be given a chance) wont be a first pick if he is back. I don’t really know Aribo’s best position yet though he has great potential. I love Arfield‘s passion and work rate and he should always be in the squad for me but his lack of pace stops him being potentially great.

Central defence: again, we have 4 good options, some with high potential, how many are great though?

I went for 5, but saying that we might need around 7.

Goalkeeper (Lack of cover for McGregor)
Right Back (Competition / cover for Tavernier, we probably could do with the same for Barasic)
Centre Half (Competition for the current Centre Halves)
Defensive Midfielder (Jack is prone to knocks and niggles and needs cover)
Centre Forward (Some real competition for Morelos. I respect Defoe, but his career is on the close out)

It's about doing it over a season though and winning a title.

Being able to perform in fits and starts is no use to us.

This team has had a ton of criticism but how they've performed in OF games is not one of them. I don't think anyone is unhappy about those performances.

Tbf though, you first replied to me when I answered a poster who said our whole midfield needs upgraded.

That certainly won't be happening, nor is it true.

I agree with your point we need more goals from midfield and hopefully, a Hagi like signing would help that.
A tweak to a 4-2-3-1 for games against lesser teams may help too.

Our usual formation is fine when we're playing against the mentally challengeds and European sides who'll come out and try and play against us, but more creativity against the deeper lying defensive formations seems needed.

If we are to win anything and actually compete instead of bottling it every January then 6 players are required.

RB, CB, DM, CAM, RF, ST

5 plus. We cant keep relying on the same players who have noy been good enough over the past 2 years. If we can get a decent fee for the likes of tav, barisic, kamara and morelos then we should definitely consider it if we can reinvest in the team.
We need:
Gk to cover or replace mcgregor
A centre half
At least 1 full back to put teplace or put pressure on tav or borna.
2x centre mids
A right winger
Striker

Three or four.

A commanding centre half; a dominant central midfielder and a goalscoring wide man.

That’s minimum requirements.

I feel we also need another quality striker to push Morelos whether he stays or not.

Personally I’ll be surprised if we get one or two.

Kent got 7 in the league, Arfield 5, Aribo 3.

Stewart got 3. Hagi, Barker and Ojo 1 each.

Jack got 4 but plays deeper.

21 goals from our 7 attacking midfielders, it needs to be double that to win the league for me.
For purposes of comparison: Forest, Christie and McGregor got 30 between them.

Tavernier is comfortably the best right back in our league, so imo there are other areas of the team that are more of a priority.

Obviously how many players we need depends on how many leave.

Middle to front is where I'd like to see improvements.

A defence of Tav, Goldson, Helander and Barisic has already proved itself to be very solid, including in games against Celtic and top European sides.

Our inability to break down deep lying defensive teams in certain games, was a big issue for us.

A back up LB, a 3rd striker, Hagi, or some other creative spark behind the striker, are priority for me.
Fair play to you to keep backing Tav, I think we need to move him on now. Get some money back for him but more importantly get a new Captain who doesn’t think, feel or say we can’t handle the pressure or the like, without upsetting the camp with a deposed Captain in the ranks.

Tav as Captain does not win us a league in my humble opinion, sometimes a fresh start is required and now is that time!

Fair play to you to keep backing Tav, I think we need to move him on now. Get some money back for him but more importantly get a new Captain who doesn’t think, feel or say we can’t handle the pressure or the like, without upsetting the camp with a deposed Captain in the ranks.

Tav as Captain does not win us a league in my humble opinion, sometimes a fresh start is required and now is that time!

I'm only defending Tav because he is way superior to any right back in our league, so in that sense it's not an area we need to strengthen as a priority.

However, if Gerrard wants to move him on, then as long as we recruit someone of a higher quality, then I'll be absolutely fine with that.

As for him as a captain, well I don't see him as a natural leader, but then, apart from possibly Goldson, who is, in the current squad?

What I will say about Tav is, he never hides and always tries to lead by example, particularly over the past couple of seasons against the mentally challengeds, when he's been outstanding.

I voted for 3 new players (Incl Hagi)

I think another right forward is needed, new LB to cover for Borna and a back up keeper.

If we can get Kent and Hagi to get 10 goals each this year that will put us in a better position.

That's with us also keeping Alfie etc…

I'm only defending Tav because he is way superior to any right back in our league, so in that sense it's not an area we need to strengthen as a priority.

However, if Gerrard wants to move him on, then as long as we recruit someone of a higher quality, then I'll be absolutely fine with that.

As for him as a captain, well I don't see him as a natural leader, but then, apart from possibly Goldson, who is, in the current squad?

What I will say about Tav is, he never hides and always tries to lead by example, particularly over the past couple of seasons against the mentally challengeds, when he's been outstanding.
The thing is I don’t see Gerrard taking the captaincy off him while he is still at the club and I think it’s crucial that we have a new driven no nonsense Captain in the shape of Gerrard himself, who can when required single handedly drag the team with him.

A season lasts beyond New Year. I don't really care for 5/6 months of stats. In the last two seasons we've been rotten second half of the season - the business end.

Although progression has been made year on year I don’t think there is any in the first 11 that we would be majorly disappointed if they were replaced. Which is a depressing thought consider the money that’s been spent over the past few years.

For me we still need RB, CB, CM, Hagi, CF and RCF.

Not as many as people think. We need quantify over quality. A younger version of Davis to run the midfield and Hagi and that’s it for me for a first 11. After that we need a backup for Alfie (assuming he stays) and a backup for Barisic. If we get those four and keep who we have I’ll be pretty happy with the squad. Remembering every team around is will be weaker, we just need to stand still to be better than them next season!

Although progression has been made year on year I don’t think there is any in the first 11 that we would be majorly disappointed if they were replaced. Which is a depressing thought consider the money that’s been spent over the past few years.

For me we still need RB, CB, CM, Hagi, CF and RCF.
I disagree - we still have the best goalkeeper and left back in Scotland. I’m more than happy with our four centre half’s, Ryan Jack is a guaranteed starter every week and Alfie when his head is in the right place is the best forward. CM I agree on - possibly a new RB but wouldn’t be a priority for me.
Also I think with a proper pre season Kent will come into his own this year. We need to play Hagi as a number 10

Not as many as people think. We need quantify over quality. A younger version of Davis to run the midfield and Hagi and that’s it for me for a first 11. After that we need a backup for Alfie (assuming he stays) and a backup for Barisic. If we get those four and keep who we have I’ll be pretty happy with the squad. Remembering every team around is will be weaker, we just need to stand still to be better than them next season!
I would echo exactly what you’ve said, we need adequate replacement for Davis full back cover and striker alternative for when alfie is injured or suspended. The core is there, just need some strong back up who can fight for places.

The way we played Jan to March I am inclined to say 11 but with my sensible head on 5. We badly need winners, players who do not wilt under pressure.

We have talented players at Ibrox but they have shown they are mentally weak. We need players who relish and embrace a challenge, not meekly surrender when the going gets tough.

Stopping 10IAR is goung to ask a lot of the players and I just do not have faith in many currently at the club to deliver. I'm confident SG is aware of these deficiencies and will do all he can to rectify them, especially when you consider his job will be on the line should he fail.

A season lasts beyond New Year. I don't really care for 5/6 months of stats. In the last two seasons we've been rotten second half of the season - the business end.

Yep, hence I said I hope the proposed signing of Hagi and a 3rd striker helps us spread the goals around.

Other than Arfield with 9 goals and Kent with 8 goals, nobody else made any sort of contribution.

One place where we are very fortunate though is quality of delivery both our full backs can produce, with Tav and Borna providing 15 and 14 assists respectively.

Considering when the season ended, they are incredible stats for full backs.

Back