How much time will Gio get?

nateman

I believe there's no way he's being sacked in the Summer regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season. This board seem to like giving managers time, and I can't see them sacking their man before he's even been given a penny to spend on transfer fees. Doesn't seem to be their style.

Personally though I don't see it with him. If we had enough money I'd twist at the end of the season (barring a miraculous Europa league win). The guy took over a Rangers team clear at the top of the table, and unbeaten in 7 games against our nearest rivals, overseeing them run off with the title and get the better of us home & away. There's been too many excuses during his tenure about how poor this team were before he took over, and how they aren't his players, but some of the basic decisions he's been getting wrong, and flaws in his system are maddening.

Biggest one for me is standing by McGregor - said it during the period when everyone thought McGregor would be dropped, that if he stands by McGregor and he costs us again there's nowhere to hide for Gio as not one single supporter would've did the same.

Not sure where I stand on Gio, I want to give him the opportunity to bring in his own players as this squad is not his.

He has to get a performance in the semi final against them. I do think we’ll beat Braga. Genuinely more concerned about St Mirren.

Leaving towards slowing him the chance but goodwill is fast disappearing

The Scottish cup will be his salvation I think

If we don’t win that and end up with nothing then a lot of people will start asking questions

If we get dumped out of the Europa, it will be the beginning of the end. He might get to start the new season, but any kind of stuttering start and he'll be gone.

He should be gone at the end of the season.

We're not winning the Europa and the Scottish Cup isn't any consolation for the head start he was given when taking the job.

I would give him the opportunity to sign his own players in reality a defeat in the semi final and he might not get the chance

Not sure where I stand on Gio, I want to give him the opportunity to bring in his own players as this squad is not his.

He has to get a performance in the semi final against them. I do think we’ll beat Braga. Genuinely more concerned about St Mirren.

Leaving towards slowing him the chance but goodwill is fast disappearing
I have little concern about St Mirren as there’s minimal pressure now. We will win unless Celtic have dropped points the day before

I'd like him to be given time to build his own team but the truth is he's now looking down the barrel of a gun.

The Braga tie and the Celtic cup game decide his fate.

He'll get the summer to build his own team and then the first sign of another downturn in performances he'll be gone.

Thats my prediction as well unfortunately. If he goes into next season on the back of 4 defeats to the filth and handing them a treble the knives will be out and we'll be stuck with all the new players he signs in the summer.

In a couple of days time when we cool down confidence for the semi final will resume. They are not a good team and we gifted them that game the way we gifted them the title. We should beat them at Hampden.
Should we not then that will be 3 old firm defeats in 7 weeks with parkhead to come, couple that with the swing in points since January and the heat will be white hot unfortunately.

I’m not for a minute saying GvB is the same level as Caixinha but I wonder if the board will be spooked by the disaster which was Pedro and giving him all that money to spend and opt to pull the rug before it even gets to that stage, as negative signs are there with GvB just as they were there with Pedro.

I think most of us are going by gut feelings.
His press interviews certainly don’t help.
Part of me says he should get a chance with his own players,however I didn’t want him up the marble stair case in the first place.

I believe there's no way he's being sacked in the Summer regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season. This board seem to like giving managers time, and I can't see them sacking their man before he's even been given a penny to spend on transfer fees. Doesn't seem to be their style.

Personally though I don't see it with him. If we had enough money I'd twist at the end of the season (barring a miraculous Europa league win). The guy took over a Rangers team clear at the top of the table, and unbeaten in 7 games against our nearest rivals, overseeing them run off with the title and get the better of us home & away. There's been too many excuses during his tenure about how poor this team were before he took over, and how they aren't his players, but some of the basic decisions he's been getting wrong, and flaws in his system are maddening.

Biggest one for me is standing by McGregor - said it during the period when everyone thought McGregor would be dropped, that if he stands by McGregor and he costs us again there's nowhere to hide for Gio as not one single supporter would've did the same.
If we loose the next 2 games to celtic and knocked out by braga he will be gone in the summer

There is not a hope in hell is he is going before at least Christmas! The fact so many people here seem to think we will is beyond me. He will get the summer transfer window and then enough time to bed the players in. The very thought of sacking a manager inside 12 months is insane.

Needs to win the Cup.

I don't want a Pedro situation where we give a clearly not right for it guy the funds to spend on his own team and then it all goes tits up. I have major doubts over Gio since he has been through the door. The domestic form is awful and he should have known how to change it if he had anything about him IMO.

Heavy beatings in the 2 OF games will have the vultures circling and possibly only a run to the Europa final would save him.

I think in part it will also depend on what budget is available in the summer.

Reading between the lines, it looks like he agreed to take the job knowing they'd be no budget in Jan. Short of CL qualification I can see there only being a portion of player sales available for spending and if that is the case what sort of manager could we realistically attract knowing we'd have to possibly pay compo to get them & pay off GVB & co

Said it elsewhere - if he wins the SC and Braga out the way, I can’t see him being moved on even though he should be. Wilson and the exec are too invested in him.

If he loses the Cup semi and gets punted out by Braga - and follows up by a shambles at Parkhead, all of which seems more likely than not, I think the clamour for change will be overwhelming even for our tone deaf executive.

Then again, you can already see the “he needs his own players” narrative taking root in here. You’d like to think the investors at board level would step in if they thought another season was about to be pissed away.

Point has been made several times but the echoes of Pedro and the blind belief that all he needs is a summer and a freshened squad is one that I hope the board (not the exec, who will not want to admit another screw up) are alive to.

I’m a great believer in Managers getting space and time to put their own team and style on the park. This is the only fair option. However I am getting increasingly worried over the Managers inability to learn from previous mistakes. Playing Roofe as an isolated main striker after what transpired at the piggery was in my opinion shocking. Also to let Rogic dictate as he did in the first half without dealing with it by pulling either Jack or Lundstram in to that area was also baffling and cost us.He is also too passive and should be trying to put pressure on others outside the club by publicly denouncing the officiating irregularities that have cost us very dearly this season.

We are all relying on a rattler collapse now to save the league.

Needs to win the Cup.

I don't want a Pedro situation where we give a clearly not right for it guy the funds to spend on his own team and then it all goes tits up. I have major doubts over Gio since he has been through the door. The domestic form is awful and he should have known how to change it if he had anything about him IMO.
I agree. A lot is down to the players but at the end of the day a good manager with charisma will kick ass.These players are still capable.

I'd keep him to give him a chance with his own players next season. For those of us with longer memories, how many threads were on here in the last 3/4 years along the lines of "It's time to end the Gerrard experiment?"

First 10 games of next season with his own players.

Given how used to I am seeing this squad constantly bottle cups and leagues after the winter break im willing to let him build his own team in the summer.

I thought they were scoring 6 or 7 against us last time we played there TBH
Yea it was a bad half but its nothing like 2018 ffs :)) we couldn't even keep possession back then it was wave after wave all game this is completely different.

They are defending better and taking their chances but the teams are actually pretty equal in general play.

I genuinely don't see a future for Gio at Ibrox, unless something special occurs like reaching the Europa League Final. He's a nice bloke, but too passive and timid. His weak response to us being cheated out of 2 blatant penalties at Tannadice, from which we dropped 2 points, was disturbing, tbh.

Depends how the rest of the season plays out.

Pumped at the piggery, knocked out the cup an finish the season 10+ points behind - He should be gone at end of season.

Win cup, beat them at the piggery and close the gap to sub 5 - Until Christmas

Win Europa league - Probably untouchable next season

If he’s given a decent budget in the summer to build the core of his own squad with and then we find ourselves unacceptably adrift of the Yahoos by Xmas, there’s obviously a very real possibility he could be binned as a result.

He needs to hit the ground running next season and ensure we’re genuinely competitive, stop gifting teams sloppy goals and be far more clinical up front.

Should be a singe!

Would like him to go at end of the season,but whoever comes in needs millions just look at the beggars 20 odd million they spent

Win the cup.
Respectable position in the league. = He should get a chance to build his own team.

Go out the cup.
Lose to Braga.
Shit results continue in the league = Cheerio

Sadly, the answer to the thread title is ‘too much time’.

Gio has lost most the support. The rest are just hopefully optimistic because of who he is.

When a manager loses most the support, it almost never works.

I genuinely don't see a future for Gio at Ibrox, unless something special occurs like reaching the Europa League Final. He's a nice bloke, but too passive and timid. His weak response to us being cheated out of 2 blatant penalties at Tannadice, from which we dropped 2 points, was disturbing, tbh.
This is exactly it weak he's not the man to take us forward and its shocking how bad we have become domestically

Back