How much time will Gio get?

He’s defo gonbs be here at the start of next season . Even if we get pumped by braga and that lot win the treble

It’s more likely than not that GVB will be in charge in the summer, as a 3.5 year deal would suggest. Imo he’ll have been told a rough budget for the summer with the promise of some reinvestment from player sales.

Problem for the summer and start of next season is though - that a relatively high turnover of players would likely take time to gel and settle them. And it’s time that GVB doesn’t have.

Any goodwill he’s earned through European results has been eroded with domestic results. He can’t afford a bad start to next season - and it’s not unusual for a team with a big upturn of players to be inconsistent in their first couple of months.

I would say it’s not completely fair to judge GVB until he’s had a proper window and the chance to bring in his own players. The players he wants may fit into his system better.

But that said - I don’t even know what his system is. Some of his subs are baffling, refusal to drop certain players is worrying. I don’t see him working out long term tbh.

Board need to get this right come the end of the season and whatever way it goes it needs dealt with quick to give us the best chance of getting things in place for pre season

Depends how the rest of the season plays out.

Pumped at the piggery, knocked out the cup an finish the season 10+ points behind - He should be gone at end of season.

Win cup, beat them at the piggery and close the gap to sub 5 - Until Christmas

Win Europa league - Probably untouchable next season

If he wins the Europa League (minuscule chance he does) then he should walk. He will never ever ever top it so only way is down.

He'll get the summer to build his own team and then the first sign of another downturn in performances he'll be gone.

So Pedro Caixinha style ?

This Rangers Board can’t afford to hand another manager money to assemble his own team over a summer just to sack him 12 or so games into the following season.

If GVB doesn’t win the Scottish Cup or the Europa League, he needs sacked there and then.

He’s finished in plenty of fans eyes after yesterday anyway.

He'll get the summer to build his own team and then the first sign of another downturn in performances he'll be gone.
Only if we win the SC

The majority of support won't accept anything less. They do a treble I honestly can't see how he gets next season

Thats my prediction as well unfortunately. If he goes into next season on the back of 4 defeats to the filth and handing them a treble the knives will be out and we'll be stuck with all the new players he signs in the summer.
It’s a hellish position we’ve got ourselves into. I’m sure GVB can see the shortcomings and the mounting deadwood in the squad. He will no doubt have an idea of what he wants to do about it. But how is that to be funded in the summer bearing in mind that I can’t see a long queue of buyers forming for any of the current set of players.

A grab bag of loan players will not be the answer. But I have a feeling that’s how it will end up.

A few weeks back I thought there was no prospect he would get sacked before st least having one summer to shape the squad. However if we end the season trophyless and having lost four times in a row to Celtic he’ll be in a very difficult position.

Barring a miracle in Europe, the Scottish Cup has become very important for Gio. He really needs that or I think he’s in trouble

I think he is pissed off that players, who should have the needed talent, can’t go out and be successful at their jobs. Because he didn’t choose these players for the squad, he will be really annoyed. Once he has his own players in, then I’ll make my mind up about him as a manager. But with this squad, he is doing my head in.

I think no matter what happens I think the board will stick with Gio. Whether that’s right or wrong that’s up for debate.

From a fan’s point of view he needs to win the Scottish cup to get some of the fans back onside.

Heavy beatings in the 2 OF games will have the vultures circling and possibly only a run to the Europa final would save him.

I think in part it will also depend on what budget is available in the summer.

Reading between the lines, it looks like he agreed to take the job knowing they'd be no budget in Jan. Short of CL qualification I can see there only being a portion of player sales available for spending and if that is the case what sort of manager could we realistically attract knowing we'd have to possibly pay compo to get them & pay off GVB & co

Vultures are already circling!!

Lose to Braga and the next 2 OF games and he has no chance of recovery.

The summer would be become toxic so leadership would be needed from the top

Being dumped out the SC and a defeat at the piggery looks like enough to see him being let go. I feel for the guy, really wanted to see him succeed....and I can't help but feel some of our first team players, who don't want to be here, are letting him down badly.

Hes 2 old firm defeats from the sack. And he would deserve it if that happens
He has made some really bizarre decsions

He doesn’t appear to inspire the players

Kamara as a ten for example

McGregor continuing in goals

Tactics for the piggery game

I know we are not playing well but its not 2018 when we went into these games fearing we would be done 5-0.
I agree somewhat mate but we haven't looked like touching them in the past two games. At the piggery they tore us to shreds in the first half. If they're about to wrap up the league they'll want to go for our throats at their midden. I've no confidence we'll go there with the swagger we had under Gerrard.

He needs to win the Scottish cup or his tea is out I feel

No Rangers manager could survive taking over a champion side overseeing a 12 point swing and losing your first 3 old firm matches

Our manager will get a crack at next season regardless .
If things start to go south fan pressure will see him gone .

I’ve pretty much lost patience with him, I wasn’t overly convinced with him to start with but the European campaign made me think I had perhaps misjudged him. The capitulation in the league, a trouncing off the scum and a defeat at home in a must win game to them tells me he’s not up to the job.
Winning the Scottish Cup won’t change my thoughts on him, it’s not enough and into the bargain looks too big an ask,

It won't take much an increase for many to delay and consider renewing, think a lot will be just about at the edge when it comes to the way loyalty goes TBH
I was yesterday TBH.

Fortunately I don’t hold on to my anger that long.

First time I was angrier than my boy…and he’s only been watching us 10 years.

Hard to see how he survives losing the next two Celtic games TBH.

Even if he gets the summer, he'll be on the same shoogly peg Pedro was - folk just waiting for a slip up to pounce

He has to beat them in the cup. It is unthinkable if he doesn't.

He should get the chance to build his own team.
Exactly giving time get his own players in he’s now had time to see who he wants to keep and win SC and manages to get to SF of europa league with a shout of getting to final is not a failure in my eyes

So Pedro Caixinha style ?

This Rangers Board can’t afford to hand another manager money to assemble his own team over a summer just to sack him 12 or so games into the following season.

If GVB doesn’t win the Scottish Cup or the Europa League, he needs sacked there and then.

He’s finished in plenty of fans eyes after yesterday anyway.
Agreed, its all down to the next 2 months as well.
No league, europa or sc then given the bullet as we then cannot fund signings in the hope he turns it around.

I’m not for a minute saying GvB is the same level as Caixinha but I wonder if the board will be spooked by the disaster which was Pedro and giving him all that money to spend and opt to pull the rug before it even gets to that stage, as negative signs are there with GvB just as they were there with Pedro.
I’m not defending Gio’s results thus far but Pedro fuucked himself with his own signings.

Gio, however, has inherited an team of one season wonders and shitebags…outwith the addition of a couple loans (not pulling their weight) he’s not been able to get in players he want’s as of yet.

I’m for giving him the chance but I’m far from confident.

I believe there's no way he's being sacked in the Summer regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season. This board seem to like giving managers time, and I can't see them sacking their man before he's even been given a penny to spend on transfer fees. Doesn't seem to be their style.

Personally though I don't see it with him. If we had enough money I'd twist at the end of the season (barring a miraculous Europa league win). The guy took over a Rangers team clear at the top of the table, and unbeaten in 7 games against our nearest rivals, overseeing them run off with the title and get the better of us home & away. There's been too many excuses during his tenure about how poor this team were before he took over, and how they aren't his players, but some of the basic decisions he's been getting wrong, and flaws in his system are maddening.

Biggest one for me is standing by McGregor - said it during the period when everyone thought McGregor would be dropped, that if he stands by McGregor and he costs us again there's nowhere to hide for Gio as not one single supporter would've did the same.
He took over the same team who were pumped in the LC. That was on the players. This same players who couldn't and still can't step up from winning the league. They peaked. I can't explain Europe as it makes zero sense that we've got this far with the same players who are basically pish on a weekly basis

Think of what Gio took on

McGregor 40 and past it
Helander injured
Balogun never seems fully fit, can’t play 2 per week
Goldson moping about his contract
Jack injured
Davis - age seems to have caught up with him

Plus no real cover for Morelos. We had loaned Itten out, Roofe also injury prone and Defoe had moved into coaching.

Imo Gerrard could see the cracks and jumped before the shit hit the fan

Think of what Gio took on

McGregor 40 and past it
Helander injured
Balogun never seems fully fit, can’t play 2 per week
Goldson moping about his contract
Jack injured
Davis - age seems to have caught up with him

Plus no real cover for Morelos. We had loaned Itten out, Roofe also injury prone and Defoe had moved into coaching.

Imo Gerrard could see the cracks and jumped before the shit hit the fan
gio must have had assurances for a budget
saying that he was out of work and a easy manager to get

gio also brought itten back he could have loaned him again and signed a striker
letting defo leave when all we had is a injury prone roofe was bad management

his tactics against piss poor teams like motherwell going ahead and then defending is baffling

I believe there's no way he's being sacked in the Summer regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season. This board seem to like giving managers time, and I can't see them sacking their man before he's even been given a penny to spend on transfer fees. Doesn't seem to be their style.

Personally though I don't see it with him. If we had enough money I'd twist at the end of the season (barring a miraculous Europa league win). The guy took over a Rangers team clear at the top of the table, and unbeaten in 7 games against our nearest rivals, overseeing them run off with the title and get the better of us home & away. There's been too many excuses during his tenure about how poor this team were before he took over, and how they aren't his players, but some of the basic decisions he's been getting wrong, and flaws in his system are maddening.

Biggest one for me is standing by McGregor - said it during the period when everyone thought McGregor would be dropped, that if he stands by McGregor and he costs us again there's nowhere to hide for Gio as not one single supporter would've did the same.
Gio is doomed to fail, under this board, unless he wins the Europa League.
He will be shopping for bargain basements, like Gerrard had to in his last full season.
Depressing as %^*&!

gio must have had assurances for a budget
saying that he was out of work and a easy manager to get

gio also brought itten back he could have loaned him again and signed a striker
letting defo leave when all we had is a injury prone roofe was bad management

his tactics against piss poor teams like motherwell going ahead and then defending is baffling
I think Defoe was done considering he just retired.

It’s hard to tell with our defending how much is Gio’s fault considering we were leaking goals this season under Gerrard too

I think he simply cannot continue if he is defeated in the Scottish cup and hands them the treble. That’s unforgivable territory for me.

I would love to know what his plans are for the summer and the type of player he has on his wish list. I can’t imagine any of the Jan signings are his choice, including Souttar. Might be wrong but just can’t see it. So it leaves you questioning who did he want & who does he want.

That said his decision making at times is truly baffling and he has the Dutch stubbornness. Guts me to say it but continuing with McGregor is costing him his job. As is Aribo. As is his cautious approach to domestic matches.

Europe he has seemed tactically astute but domestically he doesn’t have a clue how to break down defences but then a lot of time neither did Gerrard & Beale. So a lot is players mentality.

For me though he is his own worst enemy at times & I have little faith in him turning this around

Back