How much would you sell Borna Barišić for?

im_a_good_bluenose

Tell you what I’m fecking dreading next season. No Borna no Alfie no kamara god knows who else. Meant to be building a team although I also in fairness recognise our model

we need to keep him and then wait til after the euros when his price will only go up. Can’t possibly sell him for 10-15 million. I’d only accept that with a 30-40%sell on clause

ecossebear

I wouldn’t sell him for anything this window! Imagine Croatia do well in the summer and he makes the Euro’s best starting 11? He could go for double what we could get now.

ecossebear

Tell you what I’m fecking dreading next season. No Borna no Alfie no kamara god knows who else. Meant to be building a team although I also in fairness recognise our model
Hopefully by then we‘ll have folk like Aribo, Katic, Kent all worth silly money plus whoever we bring in in the meantime. The filth seem to always manage it by using that model!

HandsomeHead

It’s going to get you 4 or 5 seasons less than if you sign a 22 year old. What is it about that, which you don’t understand? Do you go out and expect to pay the same price for a younger car as you would an older car.
You’d pay more for a second hand Lambo than you would a brand new Skoda.

More relevantly you’d probably also pay more for a 32 year old Lionel Messi than you would a 22 year old Ousmane Dembele.

DoitdoitdoitnowWATP

What I would say is that with each passing day, the interest from Roma seems increasingly genuine and not some made up media pish. They really want our Borna.

I think the "not for sale at any price" rhetoric is admirable but unrealistic. If Roma do slap a 20 mil + bid on the table (which I'd hope would be our very minimum asking price in this window) then our board would have a hell of a call to make. A bid which more than doubles our biggest ever outgoing transfer fee, represents ten times what we paid for him and single handedly secures the operating budget for the next year at least? It would be mighty tempting from a business perspective, no doubt about it. And as good as BB is, left back is not traditionally seen as a position which makes or breaks your title challenge (although I absolutely appreciate what he brings to the team overall).

Theres also a lot that can happen between now and the summer. He doesn't sign an extension; loss of form / poor Euros; a bad injury (god forbid). Any or all of them could mean that we won't see that level of bid come in again, all of which the board will likely need to take into consideration and weigh up against the value in retaining him for our big title push.

I love the guy and hope Borna goes nowhere. I'm sure both the gaffer and BB himself feel the same. But as it stands, there is still a possibility that he goes in the next few weeks imo, depending on how serious Roma are in their pursuit.
But we'll lose a song.
No ones for sale. We're on a mission and no ones gonna stop us.
Full steam ahead!

Speminalium8

This nonsense about saying we can’t turn down profits on certain players exasperates me. As if the fact we paid relatively little for Kamara , Morelos or Barisic means we should accept less because the price (almost irrespective of what that price is ) represents almost pure profit. Surely it’s clear the price we paid matters not a jot when it comes to a player’s price and really it’s all about how much he is worth NOW. That price should take into account how much it would cost to replace him (with all the uncertainty that entails ) plus the level he is presently performing at now and of course how important he his to the team and what his loss would mean. Also extra profit should be built in for the risk we take in letting the player go.His previous price paid by us is irrelevant.

Clockwork Tangerine

I'd let our euro bound players attend the euros before even contemplating their departure. A good euros will significantly increase their value.

Tierney has set a bench mark at 25 million and Borna is a better player. Doing it for us in Europe and Croatia consistently. You've got to push for that sort of figure if we were to sell. Thankfully we have a gaffer with major influence on the guys in the boardroom and he won't accept selling our prizes assets for a pittance.

the bridge

Official Ticketer
The really funny thing is that about 4 months ago probably 90% of these glowing posts were being made by the same people who’d have supported a fund me page to fly him home.

Barrymoped

Wouldn’t be surprised if the agent is stirring it a bit to get him a pay rise
I think this is highly likely. So far there’s been nothing official at all, no quotes, nothing. Which makes me think the agent puts in a call to a few journalists who run the story. Then the same agent sits down with Stewart Robertson, Ross Wilson etc to discuss Borna’s new deal on a significantly higher salary.

temperance

Tierney was a massive error by Arsenal, I can’t see a mistake like that happening again any time soon, we need to keep Borna at least until the end of the season, then see what offers we get.

Barrymoped

Tierney was a massive error by Arsenal, I can’t see a mistake like that happening again any time soon, we need to keep Borna at least until the end of the season, then see what offers we get.
Agreed. Just because Arsenal took leave of their senses and paid £25million for an injured full back doesn’t mean anyone else will be so stupid.

That being said I’m sure we will refuse to sell any of our key players until the summer unless there’s a really outrageous offer.

Bluetothecore

Not going to put a value on him, let’s see how the season pans out and see how he gets on at the euros cause let’s face it he won’t be going now anyway.
If he goes to the euros and has a good tournament then what ever you think his value is now could easily double.
Biscuit hips is the bench mark had he played in euros when he went for £25m.

Leith Ger

In January I wouldn’t sell him at all. He’s one of our players of the year and is key going forward and solid defensively. His value will continue to rise if he sustains this form over a longer period, wins trophies and especially if he shows up well at the Euros.

Looking at other left backs who transferred in the summer, would you choose any of those over Barasic? I wouldn’t so we should be using these values as a benchmark of what to expect.

Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth £13m
Matt Targett to Aston Villa £15m
Kieran Tierney to Arsenal up to £25m

HandsomeHead

This nonsense about saying we can’t turn down profits on certain players exasperates me. As if the fact we paid relatively little for Kamara , Morelos or Barisic means we should accept less because the price (almost irrespective of what that price is ) represents almost pure profit. Surely it’s clear the price we paid matters not a jot when it comes to a player’s price and really it’s all about how much he is worth NOW. That price should take into account how much it would cost to replace him (with all the uncertainty that entails ) plus the level he is presently performing at now and of course how important he his to the team and what his loss would mean. Also extra profit should be built in for the risk we take in letting the player go.His previous price paid by us is irrelevant.
In the case of Barisic we look firstly at his performances this season, especially in Europe against a higher standard of opponent, and the number of assists he’s provided and the quality of those assists.

We then look at his performances for the 6th ranked nation in world football and how he performed in the Euros qualifiers.

Putting both of these factors together we have a guy who’s entering his prime and playing the best football of his career.

Against that some may point to how ineffectual he was last season and the fact that at 27 any deal is unlikely to turn a profit at the end of it.

We then need to look at the cost similar SPFL based players have gone for recently.

Assuming he maintains his form until the end of the season and performs well for Croatia at the Euros, we should be looking in the region of £20m for him.

TimzRFudz

Have skimmed the thread and agree with the broad theme - not for sale just now but after the summer and hopefully a good showing at the Euros then we should be comfortably asking for north of £20M if clubs are interested and Borna wants to go.

If someone came in with something around that *now* I do feel that the board would accept it though. An injury or dip in form later in the season or in the summer might mean we don't get such an offer again. I guess this is what the board and executive team are there for, to make the tough calls... wouldn't want to be in their shoes at times.

trevaldo

HE IS NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!!

But if Weetabix hips can go for 25 million and Barisic is fitter and better......

Twosignals

Is it me or can the rest of us not see the OP has one post, and raises this subject, personally myself I laugh of the post as someone who fears what could happen at the end of a glorious Season for us.

chosen few

Everyone has a price, and Borns will eventually move on at a time of our choosing and for a price of our choosing, it really is amazing how these story's pop up now that there is a genuine title challenge,

Div1872

Got to keep all of our first team regular starters if we want to secure 55 this season

Barisic this season has been outstanding

Keep him and hopefully he signs a new deal and we can maximise his sale value but no way do we sell him in this window

OohAhHuistra

Exactly!!

Why even consider it when the guy has come on leaps and bounds. Is a shoe in for the left back position. Has become one of our most reliable players.

Why sell to have to then start all over again.
Seems to be an obsession with selling our best players, we’re building something good ideally we keep them all together and push on

Latest posts