How ready are we for Malmö or HJK ?

Probably the worst pre-season we've had in terms of preparation since being forced to play in the early rounds of the League Cup.

This came back to bite us badly, and I can't say I'm all that surprised. Our summer preparation was dreadful, partly dictated by circumstance.

I did think we had enough to beat them — we should have done given the red card — but that side current side is miles off it right now in terms of fitness. They were out on their feet after 30 minutes.

I doubt we'll see so many changes on Friday. Those players need minutes in their legs and quick.

I’m having a minor personal meltdown over this pre season and the circumstances around with players either injured banned or not around. We’ve also been miles off it in the games.

hopefully this weekend helps take us a step forward but Morelos needs to come back next week.
You were correct , sadly .

My foreboding proved to be correct.

From two important players lost to the Slavia fiasco to the worst pre season we have had our fitness was lacking, plus players unavailable for the first leg it did not help.

That and underestimating Malmö who proved for me, taking into account the factors above, they are a very efficient side.

When the draw was made there were far too many on here who were Uber confident, far far too many when the evidence of our own teams performances did not merit it.
I said the same as yourself mate . Doesn’t make it any less painful we saw it coming . Maybe it’s an age thing but for me AEK, Kaunas , Zizkov still fresh in the memory . You cannot go into these games any less than 100% or you will lose . Some of it the manager couldn’t do anything about , Roofe and Kamara out of his hands . But playing Balogun for Helander will haunt him for a while . We will never know if it would have made any difference but either way the truth is we were outsmarted by a team that were fitter , sharper and cleverer than us .

As this tie gets nearer and nearer we have a few problems with the squad that worries me.

Kamara and Roofe banned.

Morelos not back in the country and others, transfer speculation that won’t go away not just with him but also with a few of our squad. A couple of players still to agree extensions. Ryan Kent, a very important player especially in Europe, has hardly been seen so far.

This tie will not be as easy as people think especially with these teams twelve or more games into their season.

Compare last pre season with this one and it seems night and day. This tie is mega important for us.

I just think things could have been a lot smoother for us and could have an adverse effect on the tie.
Bang on the money.

Back