How the French media reported last night

bloodandfire

L'Équipe wrote: "In this perfect opening result there was a lot more talent, a real European club culture, and a little bit of patience, too.
"To scale against the group stage of the Europa League, OL are giants in Europe, and they were at least able to live up to their status and expectations by blocking Rangers (2-0) and by already opening up a gap on the home turf of a direct rival for qualification.
"The hell of Ibrox was not scorching enough to engulf them but that was indubitably because Lyon's men knew how to extinguish it and regularly silence it.
"The truth is that they'd scored before even putting together a move worthy of the name, Karl Toko Ekambi's magnificent strike, coming off his left wing to roll the ball into the opposite corner, came out of the absolute desert that was OL's play up to that point."
As much we must underline how OL, by winning at Ibrox on the first day, lived up to their ranking and have already opened a gap in the group, there was not much to remember from their evening in Scotland.
"The Lyonnais hadn't really started playing before scoring the first goal, and they stopped doing so after scoring the second, so the evening went slowly sometimes.
"It could have ended worse, suddenly, because Lyon could not hold out without putting themselves in danger, losing too many balls and too many duels.
"Given their ranking, OL should have at least managed things better instead of being, on several occasions, a few inches away from waking up Ibrox."

Le Progrès felt the result was a huge coup for Lyon, having viewed Rangers as the other big favourite to win the group.
They wrote: "The Lyonnais were promised a complicated trip to Rangers to start their Europa League campaign. In view of the overall performance and the result, it is a very good deal that they succeeded by winning (2-0) in the clash of the two main favourites for the group."
The Lyon-based newspaper continued: "Rangers weren't knocked out yet. A goal would have ignited the whole stadium, everyone knew it, but on a nice free-kick Tavernier only found the bar.
"There was still a long way to go before claiming victory, and OL suffered the last assaults from the Gers without great serenity. The danger was lurking, but the score did not change."

Le Monde felt that the scoreline was a little flattering for the visitors.
They wrote: "Olympique Lyonnais confirmed their recovery seen last weekend in the league by winning 2-0 at Ibrox against Glasgow Rangers - the most formidable opponent in Group A - coached by the former Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard.
"It was a flattering score, however, because the hosts could have reduced the arrears, or even taken something from the game. Les Gones take advantage of the draw between Brondby and Sparta Prague in the group's other match to take the lead of the group on their own."

Maxifoot were impressed with the atmosphere at the stadium as they wrote: "In a hot atmosphere at Ibrox, the Lyonnais struggled in the first quarter of an hour. Harried by the Scots, the visitors gradually got their heads above water and ended up making their firepower speak.
"Released on the left, Toko Ekambi made a magnificent move to deceive McGregor with a hard shot curled into the far corner. It was a goal that freed Les Gones, who were then more aggressive and united in defence. Despite everything though Rangers were battling and were not far from levelling on a strike from Aribo repelled by Lopes.
"Carried by an increasingly sharp Kent, Glasgow pushed OL to their limits and gave new fear to the Portuguese goalkeeper on a shot from Lundstram. As Gusto missed on a cross, it took another classy save from Lopes to prevent Kent from levelling before the break.
"Despite the pressure, the Lyonnais did not let the Scottish players gain confidence. Using their experience, Peter Bosz's men drew intelligent fouls to break up the game and frustrate their powerless opponents.
"In a great atmosphere in Scotland, OL used their experience and struck at the right times.
"Even if we have already seen the Gones be much more entertaining, they managed to be effective to get an important victory against a team that never wavered in its pressing."

Mad how French media are more positive about Rangers than most posters on here.

Actual sensible takes on how the game panned out instead of mass hysteria.
Maybe a few posters should read that and get off their fkn high horse,of course we are all disappointed ,would have taken a draw before KO last night,were still not up to scratch from last season,but that was a quality team last night,and 2 mistakes cost us altho the first finish was brilliant

I agree that they scored without really having did much prior to that.

Craigan had us being battered and Lyon well worthy of taking the lead
He’s like a commentator from FIFA or PES where he has programmed lines that he just batters out that usually contradict his last comment

At one point he said we need more from Kent then 5 minutes later said he’s been brilliant tonight

About the most balanced and accurate comments on the game so far. They were 10% better on the night. They are not better than Leverkusen, Benfica, Braga or Porto.

I think a lot of folks has an unrealistic view of the level we’re at as a team, Lyon have much better players than we do, with far better technique , they’re a really a CL team, could we have played better? of course. but there’s no shame getting beat by them, and some of the over reaction here is a bit much

I agree that they scored without really having did much prior to that.

Craigan had us being battered and Lyon well worthy of taking the lead

Was about to reply with the same. Craigan seems to believe that if he isn't talking the whole time, he won't get asked back. Constant stream of pointless drivel. Never adds anything to my understanding of what l can see on the screen

I'm convinced that some people undergo a kind of Stockholm syndrome depending on who we're playing against.

All the hysterical types had to bottle it up for a year as we went through one of the greatest seasons ever. The backlash this season to a normal campaign instead of an exceptional one was always going to be pretty bad. They got a couple of cup games to go wild but by and large had to simmer quietly.

Thanks, OP!

The French press saw it differently to some on here. Reasonable and respectful analysis.

I think we can take a point in France.
By the time of the last game, I’d expect them to have qualified so hopefully a motivational issue will engulf them.

It’s fine margins at this level, Lyon have more quality overall than we do but we did cause them some problems and can play much better than what we showed on the night. Europe is the harshest of learning curves but I firmly believe our players, especially the less experienced guys will learn some lessons from this game and be better prepared for what to expect next time the team’s meet and how to combat the play and tactics of Lyon. It was a masterclass in game management from them and we need to be more street wise from now on if we are going to keep progressing at European level.

If Lyon hadn't have scored it would've been 0-0.
nIcl0bK.gif

I think the French press have got that pretty much spot on. However I would still have liked to have seen a more concerted attempt at beating Lyon than what I seen. Their managers comments that we have progressed were also accurate, with respect to the last time we played one of his teams, but we're still not there yet. We have a way to go before I'm completely comfortable with competing against these types of teams in our current style and form.

It’s always interesting reading foreign reports of our European games. Proper journalism, untainted by prejudice and focused on what happened instead of negative perceptions. Just like it should be.

Refreshing to read a true reflection on the game and indeed that Rangers could well have taken something from it with a little bit of luck.

Their assessments are a far better analysis of how the game went than a lot of the pish that was spouted on here.

We were poor, just as we’ve been throughout this start to the season.

We definitely aren't playing at our best, but there was very little between the teams on Thursday night.

The better side won, but it was fine margins that decided the game.

Looking at some of the posts on here, you'd think we'd been totally outclassed and never in the game.

We definitely aren't playing at our best, but there was very little between the teams on Thursday night.

The better side won, but it was fine margins that decided the game.

Looking at some of the posts on here, you'd think we'd been totally outclassed and never in the game.
I don’t think Lyon ever really broke much of a sweat to be honest.

Was about to reply with the same. Craigan seems to believe that if he isn't talking the whole time, he won't get asked back. Constant stream of pointless drivel. Never adds anything to my understanding of what l can see on the screen
He does confuse me and ask myself if I am watching the same game though. I also admit there were times I thought "Gonny F'n shut yer geggy fur a minute"

We all know why!

It's embarresing when you actually have to go to your competitors national press to get a fair evaluation of the evening.

Thanks, OP!

The French press saw it differently to some on here. Reasonable and respectful analysis.

I think we can take a point in France.
That's because they look at the game objectively. We actually played pretty well and were outdone by a superb goal and a very unlucky goal. However, as always, the abuse the players get from our own fans is ridiculous. Yes, of course we want to win all the time , but it's not possible. Also, the way some players get singled out on here is shameful. Kent, in particular, seems to be a target at the moment despite the fact that he is head and shoulders our best player. If you look at the game properly then you will that Kent had a good game but was actually let down by a lack of support from certain players who seem untouchable when it comes to abuse. Morelos is a prime example here, as for me he is one of the most overrated players I have ever witnessed in a Rangers team. Anyway, as long as you pull on that blue jersey should get full support for 90 minutes during the game. I honestly believe that many of our support have a real lack of knowledge when it comes to the game and are/were probably absolutely useless at playing the game.

Back