How was Yilmaz?

Yilmaz needs time to get up to the demands and pace of playing for Rangers.
Plenty of small full backs who have been great players. Sansom, Alba, lahm.
Agreed he's 2 inches taller than Lahm and Lizarazu and the same height as Cannavoro. Such a small minded Scottish thing.

Agreed he's 2 inches taller than Lahm and Lizarazu and the same height as Cannavoro. Such a small minded Scottish thing.
Ignorant people man. How tall was Gattuso, granted not the same position played but again.. there's plenty players not as tall as some critics expectations of everything and everyone. Can't wait to see him play tonight should silence a few

He may be small in stature, but he will be a big player for Rangers. He's strong, doesn't fear getting into bigger players and looks like his pass potential will rip through defences. He's exactly what we need in that position. He needed more service after the balls he played today.

Can't wait till we see him and the rest of the team against USG. We will get through.
Completely agree, some of the greatest ever left backs were no more than 5'6", eg Roberto Carlos and Ashley Cole.

Completely agree, some of the greatest ever left backs were no more than 5'6", eg Roberto Carlos and Ashley Cole.
The Belgians are going to be worse than livi and Kilmarnock. They'll sit behind the ball the entire and just defend. We need good passes and something different this game

This thread might be the most mental thread we've seen this summer, that's quite a feat as the Rumours and Transfers thread was utter fucking 'chucking shite at the walls' levels of lunacy at times.

A lot of reductive and pre-emptive points being made. Based on one game of football from a guy who only arrived in Scotland two weeks ago. Who by all accounts, didn't even have a bad game. Can't help but feel that some posters on here just relish in being pessimistic and thoroughly miserable bastards just for the sake of it. See if he'd played 10 games already and was still churning out that level of performance, I'd completely understand the need for sceptisim, but he's only been in the door a fortnight.

Pre-emptive message to the 'it's ma opinion' crew, I don't care. You simply can't have possibly formed a full bodied opinion on a player based on a mere 90 minutes of football played so far. It's mental and you're an arsehole for even attempting to do so.
And you are passing judgement on opinions on a game you never saw yourself.
Anyone can give a valid opinion based on the 90 mins which what was asked in the OP.
So not sure what your point is about arseholes-might have something to do with reading ability.

Nobody sane suggests 90 mins defines how a player is going to be.
I’ll repeat the obvious. The lad has come in with a pretty decent pedigree for his age-we have a rough idea what a modern WB should look like.

This lad looks small and I mean really small I would be fascinated to see his genuine height.
That’s one thing but the other was the lack of any genuine pace.

As stated maybe he just froze and he is quicker and can impose himself much better than he did. That is entirely possible.

Not one person has said he will fail. However I’ve spoken to quite a few Bears on this, some well known on here and to a man they saw a big gap from what seemed a solid pedigree and what they saw in the flesh.
That’s all it is. It’s the reality of a first impression-nobody sensible replies to a request of a first impression and says eh I’ll come back to you after I’ve seen more of him

Last edited:
Ignorant people man. How tall was Gattuso, granted not the same position played but again.. there's plenty players not as tall as some critics expectations of everything and everyone. Can't wait to see him play tonight should silence a few
And if he doesn’t play?

Rino was also built like a wee tank when he was young, Yilmaz is not.

I agree height is not an issue but you do need good body strength.

That’s insightful.
I don't know if you can look back at my posts on this and the other Yilmaz thread. Basically got tired of explaining people's ignorance on him.

I said I'd be back after the game - I'll be at it so will get a good luck at him and his movement throughout the pitch on and off the ball. Hope that's insightful enough for you sir?

I dont really agree or understand the tantrums about folk having a view on the lads performance, if he was outstanding it would be fine to say so.

He looked quite similar to Andy Robertson for me, good and bad, he put some nice crosses in always wanted to play passes forward and get an attacking going but was also nervous, missed some tackles and made quite a few errors.

I think his height might be a problem in our league

I don't know if you can look back at my posts on this and the other Yilmaz thread. Basically got tired of explaining people's ignorance on him.

I said I'd be back after the game - I'll be at it so will get a good luck at him and his movement throughout the pitch on and off the ball. Hope that's insightful enough for you sir?
Not really because he’s young and has been nervous on his debut then Gio playing him tonight is taking a massive gamble both for the club and for the lad himself.
There is zero need to take that risk tonight barring injuries

Not really because he’s young and has been nervous on his debut then Gio playing him tonight is taking a massive gamble both for the club and for the lad himself.
Nah. Barisic is a bad decision if he is to start. These are the decisions that make managers in games like this - if they know how to make them. I trust GvB does. He will start. We'll see in a few hours anyway be back soon

Be madness to start Yilmaz tonight IMHO. He's not fully adapted to our system of play and, more importantly, I don't think he's fully fit yet. I don't buy the comments about him lacking pace at all. I was in GF on Saturday and he had a chase for a ball played in behind their full-back. It was a 50/50. Yilmaz pulled out of it. He didn't pull up but it was clear that, rather than a lack of pace, he was reluctant to go full pelt for fear of a hamstring injury. He was subbed off a few minutes later.

Barisic is the 'safer' option tonight. By a mile.

The boy has played over 50 times for Besiktas which includes more games than not in a title winning team. Hes also played champions League, Europa League and a number of high pressure derby games. He's played 6 times for his country.....and he's just turned 21.

But posters don't think he can make it with us?

Yes, he'll need to bulk up, and he'll fly when he does. But folk need to calm themselves down on this thread.

The boy has played over 50 times for Besiktas which includes more games than not in a title winning team. Hes also played champions League, Europa League and a number of high pressure derby games. He's played 6 times for his country.....and he's just turned 21.

Yes, he'll need to bulk up, and he'll fly when he does. But folk need to calm themselves down on this thread.
Full of chancers this thread.

Greg Taylor is hardly consistently conceding goals to towering wingers and he’s small as well. Massively getting blown out of proportion

Nah. Barisic is a bad decision if he is to start. These are the decisions that make managers in games like this - if they know how to make them. I trust GvB does. He will start. We'll see in a few hours anyway be back soon
Well we disagree I would say this isn’t even a difficult decision based on Saturday but we wait and see

But he needs to bulk up?

People say that like it’s something you can do overnight and are at the same time screaming for him to replace BB

Holy shit :D

What did I say that's wrong? He looks to be a good passer of the ball, his crossing right now is a step below Borna's, and his speed & strength are below average. No idea why people seem to have a problem with that assessment, it's not exactly scathing or writing the guy off. A million miles from that in fact, especially when his weaknesses are the areas we improved in Bassey's game.

I agree time will tell how Ridvan is judged
Given how much criticism Tav still attracts for defensive failures ignoring all the positive aspects to his game which far outweighs defensive frailties true or imagined

Had a final thought about McGregor and why there was a perception he had deteriorated which he did imo
I think it’s to do with modern keepers being thought of as sweeper keepers rather than simply shot stoppers
I’m sure one of the first to adopt that was Pep who as soon as he was with Man City bagged Joe Hart who at the time was a multi capped England International
Anyway McGregor’s chief failing was he is the opposite of a sweeper keeper and on countless occasions last season when the ball was knocked over the top he would not come off his line to assist back tracking defenders
I vividly remember the game at Ibrox against that mob when the ball was wellied by their defender 60 yds aimlessly up the park to near the corner flag.McGregor refused to come off his line to assist and it ended up Bassey running back from the halfway line pursued by one of their in a race
This was symptomatic of McGregor last year and chief reason for drop off

Just my passing thoughts
McGregor never came for any crosses last season whereas before he punched more and came for some. It wasn’t anything to do with being a sweeper keeper when being criticised for that failing. A level of criticism we didn’t see in Europe because there was less targeting of that weakness as a sole tactic by teams - and more football. That will be the same problem our new full-back will face if it turns out he is beaten easily in those situations. You mentioned Tav earlier, however he is still a strong physical player in that respect - and certainly not a guy you would specifically target as being poor in the air.

We have a unique environment in Scotland with the way that teams will play against us - especially in away games. It doesn’t really matter if (as a player) you can get away with it anywhere else -as he will be defending agricultural type football with a lot of physical aerial challenges here in Scotland. Whilst the refs allow all sorts of basically assaults (by European standards) go unpunished.

Hopefully he copes - but i’m not going to lie his size was alarming to me right away and gave me the fear - and fear for him and what’s coming. I said to myself: I haven’t seen a player that small or slight being a success (for us in this league) at full-back in 35 years of watching. Maybe there’s a reason for that? …or maybe that is just coincidence.

He played 1 maybe 2 good passes.

Apart from that he was suspect at best and more in line with shite.

No writing off here.

The question was how was he on Saturday.

Rating 4-5

2 assists

Overall play, poor.

A big looping cross that their keeper made an arse of doesn't change that.

Can't wait to see Yilmaz get a chance. We need another fullback like Tav who isn't scared of his own shadow. Barisic never drives forward into empty spaces it's beyond frustrating now.

You can't seriously think he is 2cm shorter than Tav. Of all the things about modern football to make you laugh, the willingess of some people to not believe their own eyes is right up there.
Go and look at their stats on any football website. Why would I lie lol not as if he's my brother

You can't seriously think he is 2cm shorter than Tav. Of all the things about modern football to make you laugh, the willingess of some people to not believe their own eyes is right up there.
Yeah on wiki they have Tav at 182. They have Yilmaz at 174 though. Which is only just under 5"9.

See the match thread Borna rhetards have found their way on to this thread.

Borna has been an exceptional signing, no doubt. Slow first season then terrific.

May not be consistent weekly at a high level, but certainly doesn't deserve the abuse he gets on here.

He's not 5'9 as I posted earlier I'd like to see a genuine height for him.
As I posted earlier, it's on every football app and its on Wikipedia. If you don't believe me go onto them and check it out. I don't know how to post pics but I could post 4 or 5 saying he's 174cm, which is just under 5"9

Go on to Transfermarkt and type in his name, itll tell you his height there
I have seen him in the flesh and i struggle to believe 5'9
That being said. 5'9 is small for a footballer nowadays. Especially given how slight he is.

Looking forward to the 2 of them battling it out to be first choice. Healthy competition!

Back