"I am a Ranger at Heart"... Denis Law

Saltcoatsblu

From the book The Rangers Players' Story (Willie Allison) 1962

23kc5qf.jpg

qxrt08.jpg

A great read.

If what he is saying is correct, wonder what ever happened to the people of Aberdeen to change their views on Rangers so drastically.

Brilliant. My old man took me to what was then Renfrew airport when they returned from Russia. Unfortunately I have no memories.

Brilliant. My old man took me to what was then Renfrew airport when they returned from Russia. Unfortunately I have no memories.
i was 8 mate and can still remember it me ,my dad and brother jumped in the car from burnside and went to watch the team arrive i still get shivers thinking about the amount of fans that tuerned up!

A great read.

If what he is saying is correct, wonder what ever happened to the people of Aberdeen to change their views on Rangers so drastically.
There was never animosity towards Rangers from Aberdeen in those days, as far as I'm aware.

My dad would spend the weekend in Aberdeen when a game was on, in 50's and 60's, without any fear of there being an issue.

A great read.

Is it purely down to the fact they crippled Durrant and robbed the Scotland team of one of its most promising talents?

How things have changed. We were almost everybody's 2nd team, with the obvious Irish exception's. Now we are despised through Scottish football. I think Souness and all the English players he bought started it.

There was a strong rumour going around in Bridgeton in the mid sixties that he was on the verge of signing for Rangers.

There was never animosity towards Rangers from Aberdeen in those days, as far as I'm aware.

My dad would spend the weekend in Aberdeen when a game was on, in 50's and 60's, without any fear of there being an issue.

Late 60s early 70s we did the same. Those that could afford it booked into a BnB. Those that couldnt slept on the bus. Ive done both.

Our club has been turned and likened to poison by 19th Century Terrorist media ,and snp 19th Century Terrorist sympathists who are actually the real poison in Scotland ,and will undoubtably be the nations executioners.

Late 60s early 70s we did the same. Those that could afford it booked into a BnB. Those that couldnt slept on the bus. Ive done both.

In the 1960s and early 1970s we stayed with Aberdeen fans (friends and family of mates).
During the match we’d be in with our own fans, but in the evening we’d all go drinking together, and on the Sunday there would be a football match arranged for us to play in.
Great fun, great hospitality and always sorry to leave Aberdeen back then.
With only one trip a season to Aberdeen back then, guys would save up for it as it was always one of the main highlights of the season.

The only player in Scottish football history to have the reactions of a mongoose, and the hairstyle and face as well

Is it purely down to the fact they crippled Durrant and robbed the Scotland team of one of its most promising talents?

I think it goes back further than that, to the 1979 League Cup Final and the Rougvie-Derek Johnstone incident that saw that big animal sent off. Alex Ferguson ramped up the "they're all against us and Rangers get everything" mantra and from then on the games became much more nasty. The Ian Durrant assault made it much worse though I'd agree. But before 1979 I don't remember any bad feeling between the clubs or the two sets of supports.

They were good then we got Souness ,they lost Ferguson and we have shat all over them since.
They are jealous of us

In the 1960s and early 1970s we stayed with Aberdeen fans (friends and family of mates).
During the match we’d be in with our own fans, but in the evening we’d all go drinking together, and on the Sunday there would be a football match arranged for us to play in.
Great fun, great hospitality and always sorry to leave Aberdeen back then.
With only one trip a season to Aberdeen back then, guys would save up for it as it was always one of the main highlights of the season.

Mental to here that tbh.

Shame they are now one of the most hate filled fans ive ever came across, strange bunch.

Im sure their bitterness started after the 1979 LC Final when Doug Rougvie got sent off after a dubious incident with big DJ.
Rangers won the final 2 -1

I got that book as a birthday present with the inside signed by the Rangers team after a game against Raith Rovers. My Dad was a friend of Iain McMillan and he arranged it for me. Great Days

I very much doubt there was anything in it, remember Law was going for record tranfer fees at the time.

It was a rumour but it had substance,it was around '66 when he had a falling out with Busby over a pay increase and having played his entire professional career in England,with the exception of his one year at Torino,the idea of playing for Rangers in Scotland wasn't that far fetched.
By 1970 he was transfer listed for 60,000 and there were no takers.

As Jim Baxter said to a reporter who asked him if he would consider a move to Italy as Joe Baker (Hibs) and Law had done,suggesting that he could live like a Prince,Baxter's reply was "Why would I go to Italy and live like a Prince when I'm the King here".

I lived there in the early 70’s. Never a problem. Out with my Sheep mates the night before a game, out with Bears in town after the game.

How I wish Denis Law played for us. He was a hero of mine when I was a youngster many moons ago.

Back