I take it the guilty were Celtic fans but Daily record article is ambiguous.

Weetoonblue

Wife likes to read news articles on her phone and this jumped out because sadly he lost his leg as a result of the attack,

She assumed it was Rangers fans from the headline and the article is not clear.

It is a shockingly lenient sentence.

Scot who lost leg and almost died in attack by thugs after Old Firm game says it 'ruined my life'
Dad-of-two Francis McCann said he’s the one left with life sentence after being stabbed in the neck by Kyle Beard.

A football fan who lost his leg and almost died when he was attacked by thugs after an Old Firm game told how his life is now in ruins.

Pro golf caddy Francis McCann said he’s the one left with a life sentence after being stabbed in the neck by Kyle Beard, 27, who was jailed for just five years last week.

Celtic fan Francis, who now has a prosthetic limb, said: “He was charged with attempted murder but he is lucky it wasn’t murder.

“It’s only thanks to paramedics and nursing staff I’m still alive. He will be out in no time whereas I’ve been left with the life sentence.

“I don’t know what the rest of my life holds for me. I can only live from one day to the next and can’t plan for the future.

“I don’t even know if I have a future. My entire life has ground to a halt.”

Francis, 50, of Drumchapel, Glasgow, had gone to meet friends in the city centre and watch the Celtic v Rangers game on TV.

He left the bar at 4.30pm to get a bus home, turned a corner into Albion Street and said he walked into a mass brawl.

CCTV showed Francis was attacked by Beard and stamped on and kicked by a group of other men.

A picture showed paramedics trying to stem the flow of blood from his neck as they treated him at the scene.

Dad-of-two Francis said: “I remember seeing a group of young men fighting and then found myself caught up in

“I felt a sharp pain in my neck then nothing. I was dead at one stage for 15 minutes but can also remember the paramedics trying to save me.”

He was rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary where doctors fought to keep him alive for a second time after he lost five litres of blood and had a cardiac arrest.

Surgeons worked on Francis until 2.30am the next day. He had to have his left leg amputated five days after the attack as a result of complications from his treatment.

After three-and-half weeks he was moved to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital where he had to have surgery on his amputated limb after it became infected.

Though he now has a prosthetic limb the loss of his leg has left Francis a prisoner in his own home. He said: “I’m now a very vulnerable person which I wasn’t before.

“Though I survived the attack the whole experience has ruined my life.”

Kyle Beard was jailed for five years.

Beard pled guilty to attempting to murder Francis two days into his trial at the High Court in Glasgow. Not guilty pleas to assaulting three other men that day were accepted by prosecutor Bill McVicar.

Eight others had also been accused of attempting to murder Francis. James Quinn, 23, William Barclay, 30, and Jack Docherty, 30, were given community payback orders and tagged after pleading guilty to lesser assaults on Francis. Jamie Kinnaird, 27, and James Gemmell, 25, were jailed for 10 and nine months respectively for their attacks.

Regardless of the incident , and it is horrible, the sentences these days are far, far too lenient. We had a young kid with 45 stitches in his head the other day and his attacker was a grown man , who only got community service. There’s zero deterrent. 5 years for attempted murder ? Out in 2.5 ? Am I reading that right

Regardless of the incident , and it is horrible, the sentences these days are far, far too lenient. We had a young kid with 45 stitches in his head the other day and his attacker was a grown man , who only got community service. There’s zero deterrent. 5 years for attempted murder ? Out in 2.5 ? Am I reading that right

The justice system in Scotland has went the same way as everything else and is no longer fit for purpose.

Francis, Quinn, Docherty...sounds like tim on tim to me .
It was. The press were reporting it as a sectarian assault on a Catholic at the time. They were pushing this angle for a few days until it emerged it was yahoo on yahoo. Then it changed to old firm assault.

Andy Muirhead, gravy guts, had to shut his twitter account down as he was tagging Rangers FC in for days using it to his advantage. The prick.

It was. The press were reporting it as a sectarian assault on a Catholic at the time. They were pushing this angle for a few days until it emerged it was yahoo on yahoo.

Andy Muirhead, gravy guts, had to shut his twitter account down as he was tagging Rangers FC in for days using it to his advantage. The prick.
The only advantage that fat ride has is on a fùcking see-saw.

I'm sure this was Tim on Tim. Remember reading it on here at the time. Did a group not try to run into a pub or something and they wouldn't let them in? Someone will probably correct me, but thats my recollection of events.

It was. The press were reporting it as a sectarian assault on a Catholic at the time. They were pushing this angle for a few days until it emerged it was yahoo on yahoo. Then it changed to old firm assault.

A former Radio Clyde reporter was doing the same thing saying it was Rangers fans who done it then when pointed out to her it wasn't she stopped tweeting about it.

Tim or not that’s a disgraceful sentence for such savagery. Could be anyone of us on public transport going home after a game.

In my opinion carryimg a knife should be an instant 5 years no parole, trying to use, brandishing or threatening to use a knife should be 10 years no parole and actually stabbing someone should be a minimum 15 year term. Killing someone in cold blood, life, no parole, no exceptions. Victim isnt getting a second chance at life so neither should the wanker who murdered them

I remember this at the time was it not close to or outside Graces in Glasgow?

At the time there was an outrage online from the usual suspects because everyone thought Rangers fan had stabbed tim .. turned out to be tim on tim and everyone was silent

I'm sure this was Tim on Tim. Remember reading it on here at the time. Did a group not try to run into a pub or something and they wouldn't let them in? Someone will probably correct me, but thats my recollection of events.
I think that must have been a different incident, or at least it was reported wrongly at the time (more likely given the media are shit and they also wrongly reported who did it and why) this guy says he left the pub and ws walking to get his bus when it happened.

I posted the news report of this on Friday. The post was locked for some reason.

Tbf any one of us weren't involved in what he was involved in and it's recently become knowledge he's a bit of a nonce as well after being exposed (shock horror eh)
He wasn’t involved in anything dodgy to get stabbed though. I’m not looking for his life story but the guy got stabbed on the street by a group who were fighting amongst themselves. I walk on the street amongst other people all the time, could easily be me. Or you

You know fine well the folks at the daily record are probably gutted it wasn't related to Rangers in any way. The article also points to how flimsy the press are with their desperate accusations. Why is this not a religious motivated attack? They usually assume any sort of altercation between us and them is. So why not this? Their pish poor journalism and tactics in the past has made this article a confusing piece even for their standards. They don't know who to attack as the victim and the attacker are both celtic fans. Scum paper with abhorrent and vile intentions.

All the news outlets follow a similar pattern - no mention of the football affiliation of the attackers. Beard’s links to organised crime, or previous convictions are only mentioned in passing.

By all accounts karma caught up with Francis McCann. No big deal.
It’s a pity the surgeons and medical staff weren’t able to spend all that time and expertise saving someone decent. Based on what’s been said since the attack on a lot of social media he’s a scumbag. This was reported across Irish newspapers as a Rangers attack when it was neds with mixed football allegiances but mainly Celtic. The lowlife that attacked him were no angles for sure but how this guy gets to bleat about his misery to the world is a joke. The reality is it was a local vendetta amongst scum.

Tim or not that’s a disgraceful sentence for such savagery. Could be anyone of us on public transport going home after a game.

In my opinion carryimg a knife should be an instant 5 years no parole, trying to use, brandishing or threatening to use a knife should be 10 years no parole and actually stabbing someone should be a minimum 15 year term. Killing someone in cold blood, life, no parole, no exceptions. Victim isnt getting a second chance at life so neither should the wanker who murdered them
Agreed

Hear hear

They were absolutely loving it for a few days thinking the guy was gonna die and it'd be a wee victory for their propaganda division.

Same when the Thai Tim lad was robbed and murdered by a fellow Yahoo. They were desperate for it to be a Rangers fan who done it.
I remember social media at the time.
It was almost celebratory that one of them had been stabbed.

This is 100% accurate. The mainstream mhedia did a complete 180 on it when they discovered it was Tim v Tim.

The quote below is from a Daily Record report the next day. This was the narrative being pushed.

After yesterday's carnage in Glasgow, a passerby who did not want to be named told the Daily Record they saw one person had been stabbed in the shoulder and had a cut on their forehead.

They said: 'Folk saying someone, young Celtic fan, in bad way. Two separate stabbing incidents I mean.

'The whole thing apparently started when Rangers fans went into Strathduie (Bar) and stabbed people in the back.'

They added that Celtic fans went out to chase them and fight, resulting in more stabbings.

Has anyone actually had occasion to refer any particular event reported in the Scottish 'Gutter' Press to The Press Standards Agency.

This sort of misreporting is always directed against us, without any justification, and must surely be in breach of regulations. :(

This incident has been reported in this style all along by Alice Walker from the Sun, then picked up by the ‘Record reporter’ again afterwards. They mention the team of the victim, but not the attacker, in order to imply this was a Rangers/Celtic thing, and throw in the fact there was an OF game that day. Disgraceful and irresponsible reporting.

Complaints were made to The Sun previously, which they just fobbed off. Any complaint to IPSO would surely be upheld, but I don’t know if anybody took it that far.

Sums up perfectly the sinister state of SNP Scotland when a story like this is delberately worded and constructed by the mhedia (ALL of the mhedia) to lead the reader into believing a poor defenceless celtc fan was mindlessly attacked by a rampaging mob of Rangers fans after a game.
I've yet to see one report correctly stating it was Tim on Tim.

Last edited:
Remember it all at the time and the reporting was making it believe this was a Rangers fans attack on Celtic fan, now even after they know there was no link to us the media are still going with that angle. It’s a sinister way of reporting and can only fuel hatred between us and them for some when in reality this was nothing to do with football. This is the kind of reporting the club should also go after. Go back over the reports and social media that was getting put out at the time and let them know we won’t have our name tarnished at any opportunity they get. Stop allowing free hits on our name. It’s only done to damage our club, support and brand in this country.

Remember it all at the time and the reporting was making it believe this was a Rangers fans attack on Celtic fan, now even after they know there was no link to us the media are still going with that angle. It’s a sinister way of reporting and can only fuel hatred between us and them for some when in reality this was nothing to do with football. This is the kind of reporting the club should also go after. Go back over the reports and social media that was getting put out at the time and let them know we won’t have our name tarnished at any opportunity they get. Stop allowing free hits on our name. It’s only done to damage our club, support and brand in this country.

Like the time the lad in Lanarkshire was murdered on way home from a match wearing his celtc scarf. Red tops immediately into the sectarian killing mode. There followed quotes from all the usual suspects, letters to the papers, Internet message boards heaving with condemnation of Rangers fans. (I think even Keith O'brien chucked in his tuppence worth).
Tim fans' groups were outraged and organised protest marches, the lot.
Then it was allowed to slip out subtly that it was another couple of tims who robbed and murdered him, and amazingly (or maybe not) the story fizzled out in a day.

I remember this at the time was it not close to or outside Graces in Glasgow?

At the time there was an outrage online from the usual suspects because everyone thought Rangers fan had stabbed tim .. turned out to be tim on tim and everyone was silent

Yep, that's how I remember it playing out. Ended up just being reported as Old Firm violence.

I may be getting cynical but not convinced he was innocently walking past.

First thing I thought when reading. If you see a group of folk fighting, it’s very easy to turn round and walk the other way to avoid it, it surely has involved a bit of participation on his behalf to get involved.

Anyway, 5 years is a disgustingly lenient sentence for some coward using a knife.

There was another incident as well which a Polish guy was stabbed and murdered. Instantly the press and Celtic fans launched into big bad Rangers mode, this time they even went as far as setting up a go fund me for his family. Then it was uncovered to not be football related in the slightest and they all started not giving a %^*&.

Their victim mentality repulses me. Imagine being the victims relatives having deal with the loss of a loved one, but then also the additional trauma of your loved one being used for leverage in a football debate. A club like no other….

First thing I thought when reading. If you see a group of folk fighting, it’s very easy to turn round and walk the other way to avoid it, it surely has involved a bit of participation on his behalf to get involved.

Anyway, 5 years is a disgustingly lenient sentence for some coward using a knife.
It maybe shows that the person he stabbed was heavily involved and started the fight along with others, that's how it read at the time of the incident.

Francis McCann is a well known celtic hooligan who served prison time for a cs gas attack on hibs fans at Easter road, I very much doubt he innocently walked into a mass brawl. In saying that, 5 years for nearly killing the guy seems very lenient indeed. Also the fact it was mostly celtic fans fighting with each other is not something the media in this country want you to read about, they would rather have people believe it was Rangers fans who did it, sectarianism sells you see.

The quote below is from a Daily Record report the next day. This was the narrative being pushed.

After yesterday's carnage in Glasgow, a passerby who did not want to be named told the Daily Record they saw one person had been stabbed in the shoulder and had a cut on their forehead.

They said: 'Folk saying someone, young Celtic fan, in bad way. Two separate stabbing incidents I mean.

'The whole thing apparently started when Rangers fans went into Strathduie (Bar) and stabbed people in the back.'

They added that Celtic fans went out to chase them and fight, resulting in more stabbings.
Knew it was a lie instant I read it. Was in merchant city meeting other half that day and no Rangers fan even from the nutjob community would have been anywhere near the place. It was in general a really bad atmosphere with thousands of them out their skulls.

There was another incident as well which a Polish guy was stabbed and murdered. Instantly the press and Celtic fans launched into big bad Rangers mode, this time they even went as far as setting up a go fund me for his family. Then it was uncovered to not be football related in the slightest and they all started not giving a %^*&.

Their victim mentality repulses me. Imagine being the victims relatives having deal with the loss of a loved one, but then also the additional trauma of your loved one being used for leverage in a football debate. A club like no other….
There must have been about 4 murders or attempted of Celtic fans in recent memory blamed on Rangers fans when it turned out it was their own mhob. As for the 5 year sentence that is mind boggling. That’ll be a medal of honour for the scrote and he’ll be out in no time.

Back