I would give Ryan Kent a rest on Thursday

He gets a rest during international weeks, even when he is not at his best he offers so much in terms of pressing,work rate and taking defenders away from other players.

He seems to play better when Roofe is in the side

I think the Standard game would have had much more of an adverse effect than most people realise.

That pitch would have sapped the players' energy so much, it really showed on Sunday when we tried to cruise through the second half.

When Kent plays he draws opposition players towards him as he is such a danger, this makes space for others. I am happy for him to play both these games, a not fully firing Kent is still worthy of a place in the starting line up for me.

Not a chance IMO. He starts every game and can get rested when Gerrard subs him. He’s crucial in the final third.

I know hes our most important attacking player in Europe etc but I just want games like Sunday won. The exact type of fixture we have continually dropped points or blown it. If we are serious about title this time we need to lay down that marker. Win at this venue and go 9 clear. That's my thinking for having Kent fresh.

Lech poznan are good but we can bring kent on with 30 to go if required

Aribo. Morelos. Hagi/

Can get do it thursday.

Kent is capable of turning a game with his ability. Play your best team as often as possible.
Nobody can play 3 games a week throughout the season and retain their best form. The squad has to be managed accordingly.
Saying that, I don't think we can use tiredness as a reason for his dip in form at this stage in the season. It's simply a dip in form.

No need to rest him, unless there’s an injury.

I think Gerrard is certainly culpable of ragging certain players in the past, I’d even argue Borna should have been rested a bit more after the injury he picked up with Croatia and Roofe was probably overused initially given his long lay off, but there’s no need to rest Kent as it stands.

Players don’t want to rest. Especially with momentum and he has momentum behind him just now... he will be thinking the games can’t come quick enough.

There will be no room in behind, Jones would be useless in this game imo.
Kent and Jones’ style is very similar though. Both do a lot better with a bit of space in behind. I think players with a bit more guile are more likely to be effective at Rugby Park. Kent has played 5 times there and never had much impact, or had any assists or goals.

He’s a 7 million pound signing that’s in his early 20s and gets a 2 week break every international break.

He’ll be fine for both lech Poznań and Kilmarnock.

I'd give him an hour then replace with Barker. He will be crucial for the game on Thursday with the way they play. could then go with Barker or swap it up a bit with Roofe in there (unless he starts).

Imo we need to beat Kilmarnock more than we need to beat Lech Poznan. But Kent should be more than able to start and perform in both anyway
Totally agree with your priorities.
Said similar yesterday, I’d settle for a draw on Thursday for a guaranteed three points on Sunday.
My buddy says “feck Thursday, Sunday is what matters.”
Cue extended discussion about co-efficient and the the not so small matter of £500k for a win on Thursday.

We are going to get these threads around every EL game, aren’t we? Personally I don’t see it as an either/or. I want to win every game and that means putting out the best team to do so. If we beat Poznań it gives us a little breathing space in the EL group if, as expected, Benfica beat Liege. Let’s get that done and then look to Sunday. The Manager will understand the importance of BOTH games.
Yeah we will as some want to write off Europe despite the fact we can pick up over €500k for a win or €190k for a draw. Of course the league is important but given the way the world is at the moment so is any additional income as the club is losing out on money from tickets and everything else that come from a european night. The squad is big enough to deal with the demands of what we are going through but for now its strongest 11 where possible for each game.

People seriously want Kent sitting on the bench Sunday?

He’s maybe not reached the form he showed at the start of the season the last few games but Sunday is one of our biggest games in many a year, we also have only won 1 game at Rugby Park in the league since we came back up.

Kent will and should 100% be starting on Sunday.

Totally agree with your priorities.
Said similar yesterday, I’d settle for a draw on Thursday for a guaranteed three points on Sunday.
My buddy says “feck Thursday, Sunday is what matters.”
Cue extended discussion about co-efficient and the the not so small matter of £500k for a win on Thursday.
I don't think we're in a position to prioritise Sunday over Thursday at this time. Europe is vital to us both reputational and financially. We should certainly have enough about us to deal with Kilmarnock, regardless.

He has to start Thursday, but hopefully can come off with the game wrapped up as we have the five subs available.

I imagine if he was truly in need of a rest the sports scientists would notice it. But he certainly does look a bit jaded.

Was thinking about it Yesterday (not just Kent but a few players). Get it won first half, 2-0 half time and make some changes around the 55 minute/hour mark and see it out

There will be no room in behind, Jones would be useless in this game imo.
On the contrary mate, I think deploying Jones on the left of the front 3 would give him opportunity to cut inside and get a few shots off at range if they sit in (which we all know they will)

No. One of our top players. Resting him in an important European game at home so he can play against Kilmarnock shows where we were a few years ago. Not now with our strong squad

Doesn't look like he needs a rest to me. I think he needs to play as he is still such a dangerous player. There will be other games where we can give him a rest.

Folk are underestimating Poznan, he should start. He's had a break with the International break just there. He's one of our best players if not the best.

Best part of this thread?
if somebody sits
we have quality options

lack of player options has been out Achilles Heel imo the past few years..

#55B410

I'd be managing his load this week in training, let him take it a bit easier as he's looked a wee bit off it the last few games and especially on Sunday there. However he definitely starts on Thursday for me.

He is our best player, no doubt about it. No way should he be rested. And saying he is our best player is quite something given how many top players we now have in the team.

I know what you're saying. He did look a bit tired at the weekend. Imo though he's too big a player to sit out our big ones. My only concern is injury to him as he's pivotal for us. Few games coming up that we could rest and manage him. Hopefully we can fly out the traps on Thursday and bring him off for the last half hour.

Kent is not going to be rested other than when the game is in the bag ... he's too important a creative outlet for us. He injects tempo into our play, even when he's not firing on all cylinders.

He's a big game player ... he thrives in Europe ... he will play

Not for me. He sits out international week when others are called up - same for Tav and Goldson. Hence why they should be able to start most games for us.

Its clear he doesnt need a rest physically but i do think a rest to help mentally would benefit him But hes too important for us right now

I'm with the OP.

I 'd rest Kent, Davis, Barisic & Helander ahead of Sunday.

We have the squad to do so and to be quite honest the importance of Thursday is minute compared to Rugby Park.

He's a young and hungry player. Neither does he look like he needs a rest.

Rests are for easier games too.

I'm not sure there is any proven correlation between resting players in one game and then winning the next one because of it. The management team will assess every player and if they think Kent is needing less minutes then they will consider it but until then he starts every game.

For me Sunday is the bigger game. We have other options now and Kent has played continually. Hes been slightly off the boil in recent games so Thursday is a good time to Give him a break.

Thoughts?
I think it's not a bad shout to be honest, his form has dipped the past few weeks and JJ has done OK when playing in europe, a rest and then let him fire into Killie in what in my opinion is a must win game.

Mind-blowing that anyone would play anything other than our best team away to Kilmarnock.

This is one of those games that has tripped us up in the past.

Kent needs to play to get confidence. Bringing him out the side won't do him any favours as it reduces his chances to get numbers and make an impact.

He's a massive part of the team, so although his numbers aren't 'there' he contributes massively in other areas.

He's a machine who can and should play every game.

Needs to start both Thursday & Sunday.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jones given a chance to start on Sunday though.

I hope there is the chance for in game management (is that even a thing?) - get well on top each game and think about giving Kent a break say on 60 mins.

For me Sunday is the bigger game. We have other options now and Kent has played continually. Hes been slightly off the boil in recent games so Thursday is a good time to Give him a break.

Thoughts?
Yeah I agree I thought he was very quiet on Sunday, I was actually wanting him subbed in the second half as he just looked way of it.

Back