Ian Durrant

I just missed the age where I would've been able to appreciate him before his injury. Always remember his goal against Marseille

I watched the championship videos on YouTube from 86/87 and 88/89 over the weekend and the boy was a star.

I don't think he fulfilled his true potential because of that b*stards Simpson, but let's remember he was still a fantastic player post injury too. His performances 92/93 in our special season were a joy to behold.

My favourite player as a kid. The orange and black away top from 93ish was always the durrant top to me coz I got a keyring of him wearing it on my 1st trip to Ibrox

Immense player and intelligent too. Would have been anything he wanted to be in the game.

11515516obj-js1025260-e1483711936990.jpg

That "tackle" got a yellow card.

The Football Daft episode he was on is by far my favourite, loved his story about signing for us.

11515516obj-js1025260-e1483711936990.jpg

That "tackle" got a yellow card.
The rage in that bastards face always makes my blood boil to the point I want to drag his stupid sheep face through that photo and leather him to a pulp.
Then I realise it’s a photo and I’ll just have to live with the rage I have for him.

he almost ruined this young mans life, never mind his career. But luckily for the wee man, he was stronger than that. He came back maybe not better but as good as he was, but he never really fulfilled that potential. He could and should have been a truly world class midfield player.
That scum sheep bastard never ever showed remorse for that tackle or assault I should say.

In Durrant and Derek Ferguson we had potentially the two best midfielders in the country in a generation. For different reasons we did not get their full potential realised. Pity, but it has happened with so many others.

Was at his first game after his injury when he played in a reserve game. I'm sure the attendance was 14,000 ! Shows the respect and love he had from the supporters at the time.

Durrant was an unreal talent and would have graced any of the top teams in England nowadays. Honoured to say I had the pleasure of witnessing all of his goals against ‘them’.

First game I saw Ferguson and Durrant play together I thought we’re going to have the best midfield in Scotland for the next ten years. Our team was to have an excellent foundation from here on in.
Ferguson was the grafter and Durrant was the creator.

Sadly the partnership didn’t last more than a season.

It wasn't just Rangers who missed out. The National team also lost their best player. McStay couldn't lace his boots.

That's actually a strange one. When Ian came on as a sub v Norway McStay thought he had died and gone to heaven. He could pass the ball and now he had an exocet missile making runs and all he had to do was pick him out.

The finest midfielder of his generation, and there’s been nobody like him since.

When Souness came I thought him, Durrant and Ferguson was going to be a midfield made in heaven.

He was some player, proper box to box midfielder who would burst ahead of the strikers. Goal against Marseille was one of my favourite growing up.

Just watched it again

Durant is going to suffer in his old age because do that tackle. As someone said earlier Simpson should have been jailed for it. The intent in his face makes me sick.

Sad thing is the difference from the media in them days. I remember the sun in its comments page on the monday ripped alex ferguson and his team apart after that tackle.

Changed days indeed.

He was a fabulous little player, the story of his knee surgery in America was really interesting, pioneering stuff at the time.

Was talking to mate at New Year who’s a supporter of the other lot and he brought up Durrant. Said he’s the best Scottish player he’d ever seen and if not for that assault on him Scotland could have been a force with him running the show.

Modern football is all about diet, nutrition and sports science. Ian was brought up on a Glasgow diet that included a fish supper or two. He had a BMI of phuck all. Souness arrived with all his nutrition ideas from Italy and could not believe what he was seeing.

As I said an absolute exocet missile who rubbered the legend as he made his way to his mates in the EE to celebrate his goal :)

Back