Ianis Hagi... Rangers captain?

Captain is a bit of an overstatement (which is a bit of an understatement)

but it doesn’t take away how good he is. Everything good we have done recently has come through him. I can’t wait to see him when the rest of the team turn up

I was impressed with the encouragement he was giving throughout the game, especially when things were going bad. He's got a good character.

Not to be a doom monger, but if we're talking about him being captain here, it's worth remembering he was anonymous for 65 minutes tonight. A definite talent, but he, nor 90% of the others in our squad, are ever Rangers captain material.

I get it OP, we're all on a high after last night but let's not go full crazy.

C'mon lads he was exceptional last night and has been a bright spark since his move but captain is a lot. He's got caught up in the atmosphere and showed what he's capable of so long may it continue.

The atmosphere in the first half was absolutely abysmal, some of the fans need a long hard look at themselves. Every pass cannot lead to a goal and you can tell some people do not have a clue about football. The same guys on thinking Hagi is a world beater are the same ones slaughtering some of the players after recent results. As for the subway crew leaving with 5/10 to go on a night like last night should be totally ashamed of themselves.....supporters???

We are all delighted after an incredible comeback but let’s calm down just a bit. He is a young lad on loan.

Threads like this are why the mood swings are so bad on this board! In next weeks episode "I'll drive taxi back to Genk for him"
Think a few prescriptions are needed on here, borderline insanity. Good post mate, starts off the day with a good laugh.

I just loved the way he was geeing the crowd up after the goal. Hes not long here, but like to see that.

Captain, give the kid a break.

Hagi for captain
Andy Halliday to be the new Broxi bear
Jimmy Bell promoted to Chief Exec
And Dave King given a stint as water boy.

Make it happen Rangers.
FF comedians are in fine form this morning. Amazing what a result does for the soul,especially after a dunkirk style first hour of the game.

He’s got everything from leadership to technical ability. When he scored the first goal he was shouting at the players and lifting his arms to push us on.

I don’t think we should make Tav lose the armband however.

It's either all shit or all sugar on here. A few days ago there were posts about him clearly not being good enough and not worth the £5M. Let's not forget Kent got this same hyperbolic build up and he's been pish for some time now.

As a wee aside noticed in the BT Sport highlights his Dad was in the stand & was that a wee tear he wiped from his eye at full time.

I reckon we'll sign him for £4m and he'll go in the same window for £30m. Something definitely bizarre will happen and at £4m he's a steal.

See that plenty of people are saying hes not captain material. Plenty of others seem to think that he is as he was made captain at his old club Viitorul Constanța at 16 and has captained Romania at various age groups.

I’m not saying that we should make him captain btw, just saying that he’s obviously shown that he’s knows how to be a captain and has proven that elsewhere.

Jesus Christ
A player getting the crowd going after scoring a goal isn’t captain material

The desperation to anoint Hagi as the second coming on here by some is ridiculous.
Probably the same people who were telling us saying Kent would win us the league and are now wanting him dropped and calling him a disgrace
Let the kid play the season and then see if he’s worth spending £5m on
Same folk that wanted sean goss tied down on a ten year contract after two games.

No way has he captain attributes! He’s the typical number 10 - the sort of player who will do absolutely nothing for 85 minutes then come up with a goal from nothing to win the game. He’s the sort of game changer we have not had for a long long time but our captain needs to be someone who is involved for 90 minutes every game. Let someone else take that responsibility and let Hagi be our match winner!

One myth that can be put to bed is the talk that he doesn’t chase back when he loses the ball. I am sure some pundit said that about him when the rumours of his signing were circulating.

Well that’s clearly bullshit because the boy has the passion and desire of a real grafter.

Last edited:
Son?
Thanks for the glib, patronising response.
Well, I've been to bed now and have not changed my mind. I didn't actually say we should make him captain immediately. What I was suggesting, was that the lad clearly has the minerals to be a captain. And he will be. Hopefully with us. Did the naysayers also think that Barry Ferguson would never be a captain when Advocaat built a team around him after his masterclass in Germany (Leverkeusen?)
Reading some of the responses has made me laugh. Especially the 'bedtime' ones. Probably from folks who's mammy probably still tucks them in. At least bumplittledipper offered some substance to his disagreement (albeit wrong). The on loan winger was priceless.

Clearly the result has masked your memory from the first hour. We were pish and it took a goal to lift us. That mob were takimg the piss and it was only their wasteful final 3rd play that kept us in it. This shite happens after every decent result. World beaters. Then 4 days later the same khonts are calling for Gerrard's head. People need to get a grip on reality.

Yes. Fckin SEVEN.

And how may could we have scored in the first half? And we would still have been 7 nil down! I think you should get your coat!

Interesting it has taken our two on loan signings to kick start the rest of the team. Both are extremely confident in their own abilities which most of our own players are lacking and the team is lacking. I commented after Haggis OH! Hagi's first appearance that he was the next level up for us. I know a player when i see one. I will stand by this appraisal. I agree with the op he is captain material watch this space. In the 3 games he has played he has been our best player and won us two of them. How good is he going to be when he has settled in?

The boy is a winner. It’s in his DNA. Not sure about captain, but could be driving force for us over the next 3/4 years.

Not to be a doom monger, but if we're talking about him being captain here, it's worth remembering he was anonymous for 65 minutes tonight. A definite talent, but he, nor 90% of the others in our squad, are ever Rangers captain material.

I get it OP, we're all on a high after last night but let's not go full crazy.

Everyone was posted missing but how many of them were producing defense splitting passes and how many of them did the same in the last 3 games he has play? How many of them have been match winners in them?

Not quite ready to become Captain of our club yet but here’s hoping that’s just the start of him becoming a great player and earning the armband!

C'mon lads he was exceptional last night and has been a bright spark since his move but captain is a lot. He's got caught up in the atmosphere and showed what he's capable of so long may it continue.

The atmosphere in the first half was absolutely abysmal, some of the fans need a long hard look at themselves. Every pass cannot lead to a goal and you can tell some people do not have a clue about football. The same guys on thinking Hagi is a world beater are the same ones slaughtering some of the players after recent results. As for the subway crew leaving with 5/10 to go on a night like last night should be totally ashamed of themselves.....supporters???

How many of the other players got caught up in the atmosphere? How many of the other players were inspiring the other players and fans?

See that plenty of people are saying hes not captain material. Plenty of others seem to think that he is as he was made captain at his old club Viitorul Constanța at 16 and has captained Romania at various age groups.

I’m not saying that we should make him captain btw, just saying that he’s obviously shown that he’s knows how to be a captain and has proven that elsewhere.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

People making judgments without the facts. Priceless

This boy is a natural fit for us. He has just swanned into our club and looks the part.
I agree, he just gets it and has the talent to back it up.

That being said, I also think he should just be allowed to play his own game and develop naturally without the added burden of people wanting him to be captain which I think is mental right now.

Steady on OP , I think the boy has talent and will get even better but he is just in the door and needs time to find his feet before even contemplating such a move..

Jesus f uckin christ talking about an over reaction.
Yeah, I know. Imagine asking a question to gauge people's thoughts and opinions?
Presumably all the 'Jesus Christ' brigade actually do realise it was a question. Is that not the point of a forum?
My opinion, as I have stated, is that the boy has the talent and attitude to be a FUTURE Rangers captain. Next thing you know, I have been told;
to go to bed, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that he was useless, that it's euphoria, the list goes on.
Is it any wonder some adopt a reading brief rather than a posting one.
It always seems to me that those who are quick to denegrate other posters opinions rarely offer any alternative view other than 'yer tokkin shite m8'.

Yeah, I know. Imagine asking a question to gauge people's thoughts and opinions?
Presumably all the 'Jesus Christ' brigade actually do realise it was a question. Is that not the point of a forum?
My opinion, as I have stated, is that the boy has the talent and attitude to be a FUTURE Rangers captain. Next thing you know, I have been told;
to go to bed, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that he was useless, that it's euphoria, the list goes on.
Is it any wonder some adopt a reading brief rather than a posting one.
It always seems to me that those who are quick to denegrate other posters opinions rarely offer any alternative view other than 'yer tokkin shite m8'.
Yep I understand. I was also shout down for starting a thread asking the question 'Can Hagi be our next Arteta '?.In fact admins took the thread away.
But it's all about opinion

This is the first generation of fans I have seen who are so obsessed over who is captain. I don’t remember ever thinking Gazza should be captain, Laudrup or De Boer. The 2 big incidents around captaincy in my time have been Amoruso being stripped of the arm band for Ferguson and then Le Guen losing his marbles and giving it to Gavin Rae. The fascination with giving a player who has had a few good games the arm band when we have a suitable captain is weird.

Did you see his reaction after his first?
This boy is dynamite. He has it all. Two footed. Skillfull. Passionate. £4m.
Knows how the game should be played. He'll play for Barcelonna or Real Madrid one day. Maybe both, one day, like his dad.
Steady ffs he’d just signed. Some folk just get fair share.

Back