Ibrox, post or pre ‘78?

HarryGeorgeson

Given the choice, which would you prefer?

I'm somewhere in between. Pre ‘78, but completely covered & proper seating in the centenary stand.

Given the choice, which would you prefer?

I'm somewhere in between. Pre ‘78, but completely covered & proper seating in the centenary stand.
Post. People are remembering the old stadium with rose tinted glasses. It could be great, but could also be murder if it was either cold or not too busy.

With a bit more money the stadium can be back to its best. The new energy brought by Steven Gerard has got it back to an atmosphere befitting our great club.

Post. People are remembering the old stadium with rose tinted glasses. It could be great, but could also be murder if it was either cold or not too busy.

With a bit more money the stadium can be back to its best. The new energy brought by Steven Gerard has got it back to an atmosphere befitting our great club.

No rose tinted glasses here. I’ve plenty experience of both stadiums and the pre ‘78 version with the obvious upgrades, toilets, catering & hospitality coupled with roofing the whole stadium, renovation of the centenary & main stands plus a resurfaced track would win it every time for me.

I’ll never forget entering that magnificent stadium and catching the first sight of that arena, those goals with their red stanchions. Even more so for an evening game under those floodlights.

The old fart version of me likes the newer version, creature comforts like seats are required these days.

First experience was pre-78, but was only 7 at the time so don't have vivid memories, but it has to be post-78.

No rose tinted glasses here. I’ve plenty experience of both stadiums and the pre ‘78 version with the obvious upgrades, toilets, catering & hospitality coupled with roofing the whole stadium, renovation of the centenary & main stands plus a resurfaced track would win it every time for me.

You've almost described hampden.

I’m the nostalgic type so pre ‘78 for me although the Centenary Stand was a mess. The huge bowl shape of the ground created an unbelievable atmosphere in the big European games with 80,000+ crowds. The new Ibrox is wonderful though for us auld yins with bad backs !!!

Pre was an amazing place when full, not so with 20,000 scattered around the bowl.
Post is better in all aspects, however todays fans will never enjoy 70,000 plus crowds belting out songs.

been going to Ibrox since the late Sixties, the shed was the place to stand
throwing old pennies a the polis if they were taking someone's carry out from them lol
i prefer Ibrox as it is now tho

Different world now,pre 78 you could take a carry out in with you.Definetly better now,although it is easier to sing when you are standing up and having had a few cans.

As a short arse I remember being at games and only seeing the ball when it was hoofed into the air. Post 1978 for me.

Pre 78 for me. Happy days with my dad plonking me down on top of one of the crush barriers in the enclosure with my bovril and Chipmunk crisps.

Reactions: SSR
Some memorable games in the old pre 78 stadium especially the European run in 72 but much prefer it as it is now.

I’ll never forget entering that magnificent stadium and catching the first sight of that arena, those goals with their red stanchions. Even more so for an evening game under those floodlights.

Tracks in football stadiums are a nightmare.

I loved where I used to stand in the Pre-78 Ibrox, up Stairway 19 and in behind the concrete walls put in after the disaster. It was close enough to the "new" Derry to get the atmosphere but wasn't as busy or mental.

I grew up in the pre ‘78 Ibrox and loved it, but for the (relative) comfort of a seat for an auld yin and staying dry the newer version just scrapes it.

I had just started going to watch Rangers in 1978 and hated not being able to see because of my height. Much prefer the new Ibrox.

I love to remember the old stadium,my dad took me when I was about 5 in the 65/66 season
I cant remember my first games but do remember a 2-3 defeat by Aberdeen last home game around 67,Newcastle 0-0 fairs cup,Clyde 6-0 when Colin Stein got sent off,the Dundee united game after the disaster,Gornick defeat Bayern fairs cup defeat Bayern ECWC semi win,all good.
I also remember shit days/nights in the early 80's less fondly

I loved the centenary stand, but what we have now is great. I sit in Sandy Jardine rear, its best seat ive had at Ibrox.

I don't have any recollections of the 'old' Ibrox as I'd never been in there, yet I have strong memories of being at my Gran's flat on Harrison Drive, during the 70's and watching thousands and thousands going in and up the stairs to the game. Place was absolutely heaving.

Post 78 but Pre corners filled in and pre all blue seats. My favourite would have been before 94-95. Brilliant arena regardless of what era, it’s always been for me the best stadium in the country. Best seats, view, pitch, atmosphere, everything!!!

Post 78 but Pre corners filled in and pre all blue seats. My favourite would have been before 94-95. Brilliant arena regardless of what era, it’s always been for me the best stadium in the country. Best seats, view, pitch, atmosphere, everything!!!

I like it better with corners filled and all blue seats. The wind that used to rattle through the gaps was a real pain.

I like it better with corners filled and all blue seats. The wind that used to rattle through the gaps was a real pain.
Suppose your right there, I forgot about that!!! The spaces between the stands were great if you didn’t have a ticket you could watch through the fence. Until you got chased off the police!!!

Given my old eyes, I don't think I would be able to make out much from the back of the old Copland Road end these days.

Back