Ibrox stadium, what's it going to be like in ten years time

The People

Just wondering what people's thoughts are for our stadium going forward ,it's fantastic iconic stadium and it has had deserved europe wide acclaim and plaudits,especially this season .
But there is a lot could be done in and around the stadium to improve it money permitting .
what would you like to see done to the place over the next decade .

In my heart I’d hoped minimum we would buy the complex and pitch directly across from the main stand and pedestrianise and smarten up the full area around the ground with proper walkways, some trees, a proper memorial for the 66 , and an improved Grieg statue holding the 72 cup winners cup. If we do that plus the new Edmiston house and museums open, and the current club shop becomes a proper bar/cafe with ticket office, we at least will have a presentable ground befitting our clubs stature and history.

A club like Rangers shouldn’t have grey portakabins with barbed wire serving customers outside our iconic stadium.

Ibrox is tired and dated beyond belief especially the surrounds. It badly needs modernised but is there the will to do it? I hope for future generations of bears a realistic and affordable revamp can take place to bring us in line with a modern European football club. Capacity wise it’s been done to death there won’t be much down to increase it, so that can be forgotten.

Great stadium, still, one of the best, both aesthetically and practically; any change to it would have to be done with the utmost care. I actually think many fans don't appreciate how good it is, and the thought that went into its construction regarding acoustics and so on. I read about it a few years ago, I think regarding the whole project, and it only made me appreciate it a lot more.

Bulldoze the three stands, build it into a three tier all round bowl.
Think it would cost more than 75k

Well, somebody had to.:D

This would be ideal but probably way too costly.
Think our only, and again difficult and expensive, options are filling the corners or adding a structure to the Sandy Jardine, but we’d need to be careful not to lose the symmetry of the arena.

Last edited:
Honestly. I can't see any change. Will be the same capacity. Or maybee a xtra 2k we will still be wIting on the edminston house being finished and the
champions wall will be 200 away from being completed.
Anyone who thinks there will be wholesome changes are delusionional

dopf4fB.jpeg.5a287e3fe29b85813e4430a113fd7693.jpeg

My ST is in the CD but Vs RM last season i was in the Broomie and was shocked at the state of the concourse & toilets.
Horrible.
Surely some basic house keeping money can be found from this seasons income?
Toughing up :D

Just wondering what people's thoughts are for our stadium going forward ,it's fantastic iconic stadium and it has had deserved europe wide acclaim and plaudits,especially this season .
But there is a lot could be done in and around the stadium to improve it money permitting .
what would you like to see done to the place over the next decade .
As long as the escalators are installed in the CD then I'll still be going and doubtless moaning about the desperately slow service at the kiosks...

We really could be doing with adding 10k extra seats. I really wouldn’t like to see most of the stadium demolished as I like it the way it is, but it is badly needing renovated. Toilet facilities are revolting and you can smell them in the concourses . They have been the same in the some 30 years I’ve been going to Ibrox.

I’d agree with bulldozing the 3 stands and building a bowl. While they’re at it a retractable roof would be decent.
Are screens really need at games? If so suspend them above the pitch. Pretty sure some NFL stadium has something similar as does a German team.
All of the above is fantasy. As for possible. Tidying up the area round the stadium and getting rid of the ports cabins would be nice. Possibly safe standing.

New seats and another 5 or 6 rows along the bottom tier pitch side would be brill

Agree with the new seats idea
It was something I had hoped the club would have done for this anniversary year

Rangers

On the Govan seating would have looked great as well as the whole stadium looking great with new seating
Alas as always ,it's down to money or lack of it .

We really could be doing with adding 10k extra seats. I really wouldn’t like to see most of the stadium demolished as I like it the way it is, but it is badly needing renovated. Toilet facilities are revolting and you can smell them in the concourses . They have been the same in the some 30 years I’ve been going to Ibrox.
Would we really need 10k extra seats? They’d only be used against Celtic or title deciders and European nights

Unless there’s board room changes…. We’ll still have shocking disabled facilities, no safe standing and Edmiston House will still be nothing more than a frame.

No need to increase capacity. If it's structurally feasible then maybe replace the screens with seats and punt away fans back to BF1/BR1.

Its the surrounding area that needs upgrading. Extra facilities for families, big bar, museum, cafe & restaurant. Attract people to make a full day of matchday. Stadium catering needs ripped up and started again. Rebuild Ibrox train station. Install a proper bike parking facility.

Great stadium, still, one of the best, both aesthetically and practically; any change to it would have to be done with the utmost care. I actually think many fans don't appreciate how good it is, and the thought that went into its construction regarding acoustics and so on. I read about it a few years ago, I think regarding the whole project, and it only made me appreciate it a lot more.
Other than the ornate beauty of the main stand, its really not.
The three stands are relics of the 70s / 80s. concourses and kiosks are so outdated its unreal.

I know we dont have the money but look at spurs, Arsenal, even Chelsea refurbed the concourses.
Then look at stadims in germany.
we are so far behind.

Would we really need 10k extra seats? They’d only be used against Celtic or title deciders and European nights
Possibly, possibly not every week, but I don’t like the idea of us having the smallest proper stadium in Glasgow. Even if it is the ‘best’ stadium

Think they just keep chipping away with improvements. I wouldn’t like to see whole scale change. I think the 50k capacity creates the right mix for season ticket holders, people who can only manage occasional games and away support. I think if they can push it to 55k and manage to get the Copland front as standing it would be perfect.

CD is miles better than the rest.

GR etc is a tip.

The Enclosures are a genuine shit hole.
Thats depressing to hear.
When the Boomloan opened some 40+ (yes 40) years ago it was considered revolutionary to have decent toilets with sinks, soap & paper towels. Even the kiosks were a massive improvement from the norm of the time.

In context Hampden still had terraces made of wooden sleepers and ash and the toilets were basically a wall to piss against.

Would love to see the outer glass changed from the frosty look to nice clear glass with a slight tint, the surrounding area cleaned up and some nice lighting red, white and blue am not talking disco lights, but the piggery’s tin shed looks like a different stadium at night even though ya canny polish a turd, would love make Ibrox look as special at night as it is in day.
Standing section for all that love to sing there hearts out.

Back