If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
Between £12 - £15m and it’d be too good to turn down.
Exactly. We are not talking about a deal where we have much to recoup. Anything close to those figures would be phenomenal

Does obviously add to the positions where we need to recruit at least two players, mind!

I think it is fair to say that the valuation of Rangers supporters will be a good bit higher than that of teams watching him performing adequately against teams of spl jobbers.

He's worth way more than that in today's market so why should we settle for less. Get rid of the players who are holding us back not the ones who can take us forward.

Craig Gordon was sold for about £7.5m a long time ago, fair enough he was younger but didn't have the profile, nor could you argue the ability of Butland plus he is English so that should be a premium. Talk of £10 is woeful for a player of his status and calibre, Id be looking for closer to £20m if not more. However, clubs will know we couldn't reject any bid of £16m or more.

I think we will sell Butland - it’s just an economic fact unfortunately….i honestly can’t see where he will end up though - Forest, Brighton, Brentford, Ipswich would be the most likely destinations

We should value SJB at £20m to start negotiations. If we get beaten down 2 or 3 million then it's still a good result. The potential income from his sale will be needed to finance the new arrivals for next season imho.

I wonder if the trading argument is complicated by the Scottish game. The trade here would involve a goalkeeper of proven ability in that context. Experience suggests any signings coming into the Scottish game are a gamble. In particular, if a player shows he can handle Old Firm games, it's hard to argue for a trade. Who knows if his replacement will do the same.

From a football standpoint I’d say no. However, from a business viewpoint, given we got him on a free, I’d say our current transfer model suggests we should sell.

If you can get between 12-15 million for Butland, sell Lammers for 4/5 million, plus I would guess the 7/8 million that clement would get anyway before sales then you have funded a summer rebuild of the team.

In reality Butland is a great gk but it doesn’t cost a lot to get a good gk, we did pick up Butland on a free last season after all. Do a similar thing and you can spend all that money on other important areas.

And those above are just the main sales, you will also a have a decent list of others leaving. I think you could also see the likes of tav, Goldson, Davies, raskin, Lawrence, cantwell, hagi being sold as well. That brings in a lot of extra money to rejuvenate the squad.

Last edited:
I wonder if the trading argument is complicated by the Scottish game. The trade here would involve a goalkeeper of proven ability in that context. Experience suggests any signings coming into the Scottish game are a gamble. In particular, if a player shows he can handle Old Firm games, it's hard to argue for a trade. Who knows if his replacement will do the same.

We have to build a long-term core of the squad who can dominate the league. If we keep selling those without having a better replacement, we will win nothing. Net profits on those types of players are acceptable IF you can replace like for like/better.

IMO the profiteering from players should be more directed at academy promotions for squad filler who show great potential, get game time, impress in those games and maybe international call ups, but are ultimately replaceable. Using more of these young guys on lower wages means your core 1st team wage structure can afford higher wages/better players (in theory).

Instead we are bringing in mediocrity at a couple of million apiece generally (Raskin, Cantwell, Matondo, etc). They still need replaced if you sell them and there is always an outlay. That's why academy places will earn us more 'net' than buy/sell model.

Another point about this PTM never spoken about is that it is only a means of compensating for lack of CL money and so the board/shareholders can avoid having to continually balance the books. It would take at least a couple of decades of getting it right to get to a point where we are signing previously unaffordable players.

Such a shame we are skint unfortunately.

Don't buy a striker for 4-5 million. Lose 5 times that in champions league money.

Sell one of the best goalkeepers in the business in my opinion for 10 million when he could have been getting us results in the champions league.

Genius

Assuming the bid is from premier league, then I’d say the figure that makes it a must sell is £15m

At £10m we’d be looking at spending half on a new keeper of quality.

giphy.gif

IMO the profiteering from players should be more directed at academy promotions for squad filler who show great potential, get game time, impress in those games and maybe international call ups, but are ultimately replaceable. Using more of these young guys on lower wages means your core 1st team wage structure can afford higher wages/better players (in theory).
I think that's a great point about where the trading model could work. It would also give everyone involved a clearer pathway for the academy set-up.

For me, the first Old Firm league game of next season is not that far away, it's an away game, and I would prefer to see Jack Butland playing in it.

Another thing, but I don't have the stats to back this up. I just have a memory of a string of important Butland saves in the European run. Could you make the point that the money that brought in has already paid the club the kind of transfer fee being discussed here.

McCrorie will be a perennial back up or will move on. No-one in Scotland I'd take as a No. 1 and the English market is ridiculously over-inflated, so hopefully we've identified a replacement from the continent if JB moves on.

Bodart

He was linked already a wee while back by the journo that broke the Raskin thing
Bodart is a cracking shot stopper, but I haven't seen much of how he comes off his line to close down players that hit on the counter in a 1v1 scenario or how he deals with looping crosses.

Watched a few compilations and he does seem very good at saving low shots with his legs and making himself big.

If we push the boat out.... Vladan Kovacevic. But likely out of our price range since we were last linked. Other options Dominic Kotarski or Veljko Ilic, 2 outstanding younger goalkeepers definitely worth a look. I'd love to think McCrorie would get a crack at it. But realistically I can't see it happening.

Whoever they are, I fear they'd be a downgrade on Butland but hopefully I'm proved wrong. I'd be asking for a massive keeper that's a good shot stopper and comes for cross balls. Good with his feet is a bonus.

Is Butland almost definitely away then? That would be a bleak start to the summer.

We were linked with the Belgium lad that Roofe scored against from the half way line.

I thought he looked good against us.

We keep reading about Butland being sold but for me we need to keep him another season to help win back the title, he can leave then and also leave a champion.

How can we expect to close the gap if we sell
our best player after a season? Based on our track record for transfers I dread to think how potential funds will be re invested.

Back