If we’re honest the league wasn’t lost today

The players didn't want it enough, that's been perfectly evident for quite some time. Couple this with schoolgirl defending and strikers who couldn't finish their dinner, it's actually remarkable we've got so close.

Exactly , the Old Firm Games take care of themselves , plus the Home loss to Motherwell was a hammer blow , but at the time didn’t seem so bad ? now it hits home those silly points drapped to pish teams is where it’s hurt us the most !
That's hilarious. If they take care of themselves, why do we keep losing them?

The Ross County and Dundee games fuckéd it for me. Took the belief away from the fans.

If we had got results there we could’ve afforded to go to Piggery and drop points and still be in the race.
I thought it was over when we failed to beat them at Ibrox. From then on we needed to win every game, including today. I never though we would beat them, so we already needed a snooker from another team.
Dundee and County just confirmed it.

After the Ibrox 3-3 there was a sense of doom about the campaign.

All the reasons/excuses cannot cover the simple fact we were not strong enough when the real tests materialised.

Clement is a good Manager and the future is bright but the comeback and subsequent capitulation is really hard to take.

Lost to inadequate recruitment, lost to injuries and whatever culpability our pre-season had for that, lost to failing to prepare for players reaching the end of their careers, lost to failure of players to step up and contribute goals and assists to take the heat off Tav, Sima and Dessers. Motherwell, Ross Co., Dundee and the last two Old Firms were just the damning symptoms of the problem.

Motherwell really fucked us despite them losing at Hearts the next day.

Not beating them at Ibrox, Ross County and Dundee aways merely confirmed it.

You guys keep telling yourself what you want to console yourself. Unlike you, I know you don’t win leagues without winning Old Firm games!!! The fact it may only have happened once kind of shows that. A simple truth. Blame VAR, blame refs, blame Aberdeen for raising their game against us, blame an opening day away at Kilmarnock but personally I’ll lay it at a bunch of players who keep giving Celtic the lead in games and seem to lose to them for fun! When we start winning two Old Firm games a season again, we will be champions again, and not before.
A 0-2 lead at that.

You just can't lose most OF games and expect to win the league. Losing to RC was avoidable and annoying but if we can't beat Celtic we can't complain when they win the league.

It was lost when we failed to beat them at Ibrox
We had the chance to take today out of the equation and go 5 clear.

Even if we had got the business done against County and Dundee, not beating them at Ibrox left the door open.

Last edited:
It depends how you look at things.

If Rangers had won the last two Old Firms they'd be winning the league.

Even with drawing the three OF matches that we lost, we'd be top now.

These games have done for us.

It certainly wasn’t lost on Saturday.

I’d argue that the Motherwell defeat at Ibrox gave us a massive problem - the team looks out of ideas and McCausland’s injury was a real downer as well.

See if you don’t win Old Firm games though… you aren’t winning any titles.

You just can't lose most OF games and expect to win the league. Losing to RC was avoidable and annoying but if we can't beat Celtic we can't complain when they win the league.
I think it must be pretty rare for a team to come off second best in meaningful Old Firm games (i.e. contested when the league was still live) and still win the title.

1 point from 12 against them lost us the league.

We have a better record against the other 10 than them. The Ross Country and Dundee games was really just things evening itself out.

PC starts away to them next season. He can’t lose that game.
Absolutely this.

The outcome of the Old Firms over the season generally dictate who is the better team. We've barely laid a glove on them.

Today was simply the last chance saloon and a thin straw to grasp at. In all reality, I don’t think any of us expected us to go there and win.

The league was lost, as the OP correctly says, in the three games we botched up over the last month or so.

Dessers missing three chances at Dingwall in first half cost us the league.

That’s the sobering truth.

Ross County, Dundee, failure to beat Celtic at Ibrox - the comeback was praised but it was a match we had to win.

2-0 down in every game against Celtic under Clement.

Until we start beating Celtic we won't be winning league titles. They've taken 10/12 whilst we've taken 1/12. Simply not good enough and we've still got a cup final against them to come.

Back