If we only made one more signing

Right Back

We cannot continue with Tav as our first choice RB imo
We need a proper right back to atleast compete with tav.

He knew for a fact he wasnt getting dropped for Flanagan or Polster and that cant be healthy. A club our size needs genuine competition and it's something tav hasnt had in his time here.

He's the best RB in the country by a considerable distance and has been the entirety of his time in Scotland.

I'm getting really sick of seeing comments like this
Think he just needs a bit of competition mate to get him back to his best.

If he is off form or injured we are seriously disadvantaged.

Probably not for less than £30 million unfortunately.

Strength, power, aggression, athleticism, touch, great passer, terrific striker of the ball and an unflinching will to win.

Complete midfielders don't come cheap sadly.

The qualities are missing from our squad as you allude to mate.

I just cant help thinking that looking at the French market, or in Scandinavia,
we could potentially get a really aggressive athlete for a fair price.

It really could make a massive difference to us when we're away to hammer
throwers having a 'poor man's viera' in there ?

A poor man's Viera is very different from the poor man's Kevin Thomson which many are advocating we sign.

Everyone we target simply has to be technically excellent (relative to budget ofc) otherwise we will become a mediocre Scottish team that's incapable of doing anything noteworthy in Europe.

Why not ???? He is far and away the best in country. Our defence is not a priority we lost same amount of goals as them. We have a problem at other end though we were 25 goals worse off than them ! Goals win games and leagues !

A big issue was the drop in our standard when Tav or Borna were unfit, and that harmed
our creative ability as well as our defensive security.

Buy Guillermo Varela for 2m or so. Can cover both, in fact is maybe better than Tav from
what I've seen of him.

He can also cover in CDM. Very smart Uruguayan. Winning record at the Chamber of
Secrets too.

All depends. No question Tav is the best RB in the league but he'll be 29 this year and this is the final chance we've got IMO to cash in on him and replace with a younger player

If we don't then we are saddled for the next three years with a massive contract and possibly diminishing fitness and skill set.

It's a big call for Gerrard.

I think we are past the point of cashing in on him given his age and the problems with corona virus. He isn't good enough to play for a premier league team and while he would be ideal for an attacking team in the championship, those sides are all in financial trouble.

Only one more signing and we are not winning the league.

Pandemic has made a lot of supporters forget about what was happening in the pitch. A second consecutive season without a trophy, a second consecutive season where we collapsed and yet another season where we failed to out up a proper title fight.

Seems some are prepared to give the perennial losers yet another chance.

I can't believe if given the option of only one signing, people are suggesting buying someone to challenge Borna, Tav or Alfie.

Oir starting XI isn't good enough. If you're buying one player it should be to improve that.

In fact if we're buying three players, they should all improve the starting XI too.

Only one though and it should be a quality centre mid.

Last edited:
If we're to spend big money on another player then it has to be either a dominant midfielder or a goal scoring wide man. They are by far our two biggest weaknesses right now.

A Midfielder who absolutely runs football matches, takes no shit and has a never say die attitude. Basically Barry Ferguson in his heyday !!

Can’t see how he can continue as our captain after his comments to the tail end of last season
This is the issue for me, I don’t think Tavs ability can be in question but his mentality is all wrong.
I doubt we’ll win anything with him as captain,and I very much doubt he has the humility to be stripped of the role and still perform to a high standard.

We have a group of talented players but there’s a determination and ruthlessness that’s missing. I appreciate many might disagree but it’s just how I see it given the information available.

I think Gerrard hoped Coulibaly would've been that sort of player mate.

He actually started like he might be, but was never the same after his injury at Ibrox.

Meling from Rosenborg is a bosman, euro experience, international experience, wins the league regularly and coming into his mid 20s. He's the perfect competition

Would be a terrific signing and being only contracted until December should mean a reasonable fee- Meling And Borna fighting it out for the LB spot this season,possibly sell Borna after the euros next year and get Douglas on a bosman to replace him-win-win

We need to do something about our defence. Trouble is, I don't know exactly what it is, but the current chemistry & setup just isn't strong enough. They all look like good players on their own, but whether its the system or the mix, we need to change something/someone.

We need to do something about our defence. Trouble is, I don't know exactly what it is, but the current chemistry & setup just isn't strong enough. They all look like good players on their own, but whether its the system or the mix, we need to change something/someone.

I think Tav and Goldson need the odd rest. They play 50 odd games a season with no break. There are bosman centre backs out there who are more than good enough.

This is the issue for me, I don’t think Tavs ability can be in question but his mentality is all wrong.
I doubt we’ll win anything with him as captain,and I very much doubt he has the humility to be stripped of the role and still perform to a high standard.

We have a group of talented players but there’s a determination and ruthlessness that’s missing. I appreciate many might disagree but it’s just how I see it given the information available.

There's no doubt you'll get a lot disagreeing with you Cav, but
there is a real issue here when you separate James the talent
with James the leader.

I love what the guy can do. A true athlete with a touch like velvet.

But then our winning mentality / strength, or lack of it was clearly an issue last season. So do we look at the kids ? To me, absolutely no. We need to look at the senior professionals, the guys who lead the
group, who lead the dressing room.

Very difficult dilemma, because ability wise you don't need more
in a modern full back.

I think Tav and Goldson need the odd rest. They play 50 odd games a season with no break. There are bosman centre backs out there who are more than good enough.

Playing devil's advocate, they're both first XI choices who have been part of our season collapsing for the second time in a row, so I'm thinking we should maybe move them both on.

Playing devil's advocate, they're both first XI choices who have been part of our season collapsing for the second time in a row, so I'm thinking we should maybe move them both on.

I wouldn't move two mainstays on at the same time, particularly the two who are almost always available. I think that could disrupt the team. Wouldn't be opposed to selling one to bring in funds. I think that would be quite sensible. If Tav were to go we would struggle to find a player with his stats but it would result in a new captain which might be a blessing.

You can tell things are getting back to some sort of normal as the Tav bashing has recommenced. We need players with Andy Halidays mentality but with a lot more skill.

Tavernier was actually injured for a spell after the break, but with your line of thinking, then McGregor, Katic, Jack Davis, Arfield, Kent , Kamara and Morelos will need shifted too.

They were here during the loss of form the previous season too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Centre mid
Jack got injured and his performances dropped from being the best midfielder in the country to no existent, Davis contributed even less since the break. Kamara also lost his mojo and was subsequently dropped.
Aribo had his best displays on the right.
An area we are lacking is Centre midfield!!

There's no doubt you'll get a lot disagreeing with you Cav, but
there is a real issue here when you separate James the talent
with James the leader.

I love what the guy can do. A true athlete with a touch like velvet.

But then our winning mentality / strength, or lack of it was clearly an issue last season. So do we look at the kids ? To me, absolutely no. We need to look at the senior professionals, the guys who lead the
group, who lead the dressing room.

Very difficult dilemma, because ability wise you don't need more
in a modern full back.
Just my two cents mate and tbh when I tell my mates I want us to sell both Alfie and Tav this window half of them think I’ve lost the plot.
But when I explain why and one of my oldest pals chips in with a bit of background about Tavs attitude being questionable,they can at least grasp why I have that opinion,even if they don’t agree with it.

We are very over reliant on both players,and to move forward and win things we need to adapt and overcome that.
Add three high quality players to Hagi already signed with the money we could make from those two and we will be stronger as a collective.

That’s what I want because that’s what will get us over the line when it really matters imo.

Just my two cents mate and tbh when I tell my mates I want us to sell both Alfie and Tav this window half of them think I’ve lost the plot.
But when I explain why and one of my oldest pals chips in with a bit of background about Tavs attitude being questionable,they can at least grasp why I have that opinion,even if they don’t agree with it.

We are very over reliant on both players,and to move forward and win things we need to adapt and overcome that.
Add three high quality players to Hagi already the signed with the money we could make from those two and we will be stronger as a collective.

That’s what I want because that’s what will get us over the line when it really matters imo.

No player is greater than our club Cav.

I personally think we need to trade our way through this too. A lot will disagree with me,
but I've never let that bother me in my life :))

So if good deals are on the table for sales of such as Tav, Goldson, Alfie, Glen we must
consider what that could allow us to do to better the squad as a group.

And that's both mindset wise & skill set wise, because our skill set range in midfield isnt
wide enough for me.

Reactions: cav
Meling from Rosenborg is a bosman, euro experience, international experience, wins the league regularly and coming into his mid 20s. He's the perfect competition

The mentally challengeds were interested in him last season as well. Would be a welcome addition and it would get one over them as well.

No player is greater than our club Cav.

I personally think we need to trade our way through this too. A lot will disagree with me,
but I've never let that bother me in my life :))

So if good deals are on the table for sales of such as Tav, Goldson, Alfie, Glen we must
consider what that could allow us to do to better the squad as a group.

And that's both mindset wise & skill set wise, because our skill set range in midfield isnt
wide enough for me.
^ 100% this.You explained what I'm thinking better than I could mate

Would be a terrific signing and being only contracted until December should mean a reasonable fee- Meling And Borna fighting it out for the LB spot this season,possibly sell Borna after the euros next year and get Douglas on a bosman to replace him-win-win

Yep, sign on a Bosman pre-contract then try to get him early. If that doesn't work he's still arriving early before the winter break on a free

And watch the red cards come rolling in. Look at Ryan Jack & he isn't even that hard in the tackle
I think what we need is someone like the Braga skipper,a big b.astard who can put the foot in when required-but can also play more than a bit.Not easy or cheap to find unfortunately.
I used him as an example because he's 29 years old and has four years of his contract to run.

Players like him are very much valued by their clubs,and rightly so.

I'd like to think there's a few youngsters going to make the step up next season

There's obvious trouble with that- like bringing them on too early- burning them out- or knocking their confidence- all of which may damage not only them - but our continuity as well

Regardless of that though - I'd still like to see it happen-
To my way of thinking - this is the way we've done things in the past & haven't done enough of it lately - but it has to be the way we do things in the longer term future imo

Tavernier was actually injured for a spell after the break, but with your line of thinking, then McGregor, Katic, Jack Davis, Arfield, Kent , Kamara and Morelos will need shifted too.

They were here during the loss of form the previous season.

I was talking about the defence in particular because they looked shaky for a long time before our collapse with players going for the same ball, individual errors etc which we kind of got away with in a few home games before we started dropping points.

But the main thrust of it is that I don't think we can go out and do the same thing again next season and expect a different result. Goldson and Tav have been around for a lot longer, so I wasn't just saying about last season.

I'd like to think there's a few youngsters going to make the step up next season

There's obvious trouble with that- like bringing them on too early- burning them out- or knocking their confidence- all of which may damage not only them - but our continuity as well

To my way of thinking - this is the way we've done things in the past & haven't done enough of it lately - but it has to be the way we do things in the longer term future imo

Agree. Kelly & the young right back Patterson could get some game time. However its going to be a stressful season & putting too much pressure on kids might be dangerous.

Agree. Kelly & the young right back Patterson could get some game time. However its going to be a stressful season & putting too much pressure on kids might be dangerous.

Back