If you were a Spurs fan would you want to lose tonight?

Happy to lose?

• Yes

Votes: 281 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 400 58.7%

• Total voters

ssblue

No point in suggesting a similar scenario up here as it would never happen but it is different for Spurs fans who still have an outside chance of reaching CL with 2 wins and a Villa defeat.

City win and the league is all but theirs.

City drop points and the league is all but Arsenals.

As a fan, could you ever want your team to lose?

No. Priority one would be wanting my team to do as well and finish as high in the league as possible. That’s more important that what your rivals do.

PS. That said, if my team were beat and it led to our rivals missing out on the title, I’d subsequently decide to enjoy it and rip the p*** out of any of their supporters that I know. Got to roll with the punches :))

They aren't finishing 4th. That's all but gone so yes I imagine they will be wanting to lose.

Villa playing Palace on the last game with f all to play for and Villa only need 1 point unless Spurs beat City heavily.

EDIT - Just been notified Spurs last game is already relegated Sheff United so still a slim chance of getting 4th.

Last edited:
They aren't finishing 4th. That's all but gone so yes I imagine they will be wanting to lose.

Villa playing Palace on the last game with f all to play for and Villa only need 1 point unless Spurs beat City heavily.
Spurs are playing Sheffield United final day.
If they beat City (big if), that Sheffield United side are capable of being hit for 7.

Tim behaviour - lying down to a weak Aberdeen side.

You go out to win every game.
That’s what this reminded me of. The pair of dirty bassas. It was as blatant match fixing if ever there was! Just to keep us out of 2nd, you would think that after winning numerous unchallenged titles they wouldn’t care who came second, but as always, we are their biggest and most constant fear!

Spurs are playing Sheffield United final day.
If they beat City (big if), that Sheffield United side are capable of being hit for 7.

Yup! Any sort of win for Spurs tonight and Villa will feel they have to win at Palace (who right at the top of the form team table) with a draw maybe not being enough.

Spurs will be right up for this game tonight.

No, I can’t imagine any circumstances where I’d actually want my team to lose.

It’s different if you have a snigger after losing at the unintended consequences, of denying your main rivals the title, but I sure as hell wouldn’t be wanting my team to get beat to achieve it.

I'd never want my team to lose. But, like others, if there was nothing on the line for us and it meant Celtic losing a title, I would reluctantly accept a defeat. Spurs are not in that situation and I wouldn't be surprised if they take points off City.

I can understand how Spurs fans feel. I could never imagine myself wanting Rangers to lose. I do admit, however, that when watching our women's team against Glasgow City last season at Ibrox I was pleased that they didn't scrape a draw in the final seconds of added on time.

If Hearts had to beat us in a final game to win the title from Celtic, you'd want Rangers to win the match?
If it meant the difference in us qualifying for the Champions League or not, then yes. However I don't care what anyone says the rivalry between Arsenal and Spurs is incomparable to up here. And I don't think many non City fans could stomach watching them win it again.

If it was a nothing game, you might not be that arsed.
With CL football still to play for?
Any Spurs fan wanting to lose needs to find a new sport to watch.

Palace play villa on the last day, Palace looking good and could win that so if Spurs win tonight it's all to play for at the weekend! They need to look after themselves and forget about Arsenal

There’s still an outside chance of qualifying for the CL, and while that can never be compared with winning a trophy, it’s extra cash to bring in a better quality of player and the selling point of being able to give those players the opportunity of playing CL football.

Only a nonce wouldn’t want their team to win in this situation.

Reactions: TQ3
Why would all the Korean half and half scarf wearing tourists, who will stop supporting Spurs when Son leaves, care if Arsenal win the league or not.

If we were in the situation Rangers woman last season

Say Hearts are beating us 1 0 to win league if we equalise Celtic win league then I would not want that.

In England it’s totally different Spurs would benefit much more from champions league and as much as i find him a pain in the arse there is no way Ange will care if Arsenal win league

Put it this way.

We're playing Dundee tonight. Imagine they were in pole position to win the league. We need to beat them to qualify for the champions league, but if we do it basically hands the title to Celtic. If we don't, Dundee will probably win the league (Celtic might still win) but we have no chance of CL.

No they play Sheff Utd final day and Villa are away to Palace who are flying. Win and there is every chance they make the CL.

Spurs fans are gimps if they want their team to lose but it would be very Spursy if they lose and their fans celebrate it and then City mess it up at the weekend and Arsenal still go on and win the league.

Listening to Spurs fans these past few days including posts by our resident Spurs fan they just sound a bit like the Aberdeen of the south.

No, apart from CL football, I always want my team to win. The only occasion I can think of where I would want us to lose, is if it meant the filth would be denied access to the CL.

Tim behaviour - lying down to a weak Aberdeen side.

You go out to win every game.
If Rangers went into the final game of a season and winning it meant Celtic would win the league and get automatic CL football while losing it meant they didn’t, you’d still want us to win?

I appreciate that Spurs still have something to play for and the above scenario is unlikely in Scotland, but still, the idea that we’d go out to win in that scenario is just silly really.

If Hearts were going for the title with Celtic and we were playing them near the end of the season, id be happy to get beat. Its easy to be staunch and do the sportsmanship routine when it is not going to happen.

Dont know any Spurs fans but id guess plenty wont mind if they lose, i actually think the players and manager wont care so much and are going to do Arsenal a huge favour and get a result.

Bearing in mind a draw is no good to Spurs, if they are a goal down and get a last minute of stoppage time penalty, would you want it to be scored or missed?

Back