If you were a Spurs fan would you want to lose tonight?

Happy to lose?

• Yes

Votes: 281 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 400 58.7%

• Total voters
They aren't finishing 4th. That's all but gone so yes I imagine they will be wanting to lose.

Villa playing Palace on the last game with f all to play for and Villa only need 1 point unless Spurs beat City heavily.

EDIT - Just been notified Spurs last game is already relegated Sheff United so still a slim chance of getting 4th.
Palace have 4 wins and a draw in their last 5 games. They’ll want to go out on a high. Can still finish 10th, currently sitting 12th. They could also finish 14th with a defeat. So still a bit for Palace to play for, and as I said they are in cracking form. If Spurs beat City I reckon Spurs finish 4th.

If Rangers went into the final game of a season and winning it meant Celtic would win the league and get automatic CL football while losing it meant they didn’t, you’d still want us to win?

I appreciate that Spurs still have something to play for and the above scenario is unlikely in Scotland, but still, the idea that we’d go out to win in that scenario is just silly really.
If Spurs win tonight Arsenal don’t win the league. They still have to beat Everton or hope City drop points in their final game. Surely if you’re a Spurs fan you’re wanting CL football? The ability to attract a higher calibre of player and with more money to spend on transfers. Absolute no brainer. Bit different in Scotland when it’s 2 teams going for a title every season. Any Spurs fan wanting to lose tonight is a moron.

I think the comparison down there to up here is apples and oranges.

Just spoke with a Spurs fan and they (well he) absolutely does not want Arsenal to win the league. Tinpot? Probably, however it's also 'rivalry'.

He also says that he'd rather they were in the Europa as they'd have a better chance of winning that.

The money generated in England is clearly worlds apart from here so the above argument, to me, seems perfectly reasonable.

So if I was a Spurs fan I probably would want Man City to win.

If the scenario was transposed to up here. I would want Rangers to win as, yes, the Bheasts would win the title but we'd have Champions League qualification.

No, I can’t imagine any circumstances where I’d actually want my team to lose.

It’s different if you have a snigger after losing at the unintended consequences, of denying your main rivals the title, but I sure as hell wouldn’t be wanting my team to get beat to achieve it.

Really?

So if it had been us playing Hearts in the last game of the season in 1986 you would have wanted us to win?

If Rangers went into the final game of a season and winning it meant Celtic would win the league and get automatic CL football while losing it meant they didn’t, you’d still want us to win?

I appreciate that Spurs still have something to play for and the above scenario is unlikely in Scotland, but still, the idea that we’d go out to win in that scenario is just silly really.
In that scenario we should throw the game.

No point in suggesting a similar scenario up here as it would never happen but it is different for Spurs fans who still have an outside chance of reaching CL with 2 wins and a Villa defeat.

City win and the league is all but theirs.

City drop points and the league is all but Arsenals.

As a fan, could you ever want your team to lose?
Celtic deliberately lost to Hearts at Tynecastle to ensure we finished 3rd in the league and lost out on champions league revenue a few years back.

If Spurs win tonight Arsenal don’t win the league. They still have to beat Everton or hope City drop points in their final game. Surely if you’re a Spurs fan you’re wanting CL football? The ability to attract a higher calibre of player and with more money to spend on transfers. Absolute no brainer. Bit different in Scotland when it’s 2 teams going for a title every season. Any Spurs fan wanting to lose tonight is a moron.
I dont see how it makes anyone a moron, they hate their rivals that is part of football, for them it is probably just as intense as the old firm rivalry.

As the poster above says they will still be in europe with a far better chance of success.

My partner and her two sons are season ticket holders at Spurs, despite what it might mean regards Arsenal, they will not entertain a single thought of not wanting spurs to win any game

If i was in there shoes i would want to lose.

Arsenal will beat Everton easily so they are basically all that stands between them and Arsenal's first title in 20 years.

In 20 years no Spurs fan is going to talk about the time they made the CL (as lets be honest, they aint going to win it) but Arsenal fans will still be rubbing it in.

That's not the full scenario. If we win we would also get CL qualification. Thats a significant amount of money and, for me, it would trump the Bheasts winning a title.

If, however, there were no (or very little) fonancial ramifications on us losing the game (i.e. we'd had a poor season and were out of the CL qualification then I absolutely would want Rangers to lose.

Hivs were happy to lose to us by one goal on Helicopter Sunday as it meant they qualified for the UEFA cup.

I doubt they'd still have that attitude now to be honest.

It’s cute how Spurs fans think they need to try to lose vs Man City

Its going to be a massacre whether they want it or not

If I was a Spurs fan Id be wanting my team to win tonight however if they lost I dont think I would be particularly upset at full time.
This really. I would never want Rangers to lose but if they did and it meant the jungles lost out on something, so be it. I certainly wouldn’t want Rangers to go in to any game not aiming to win.

I don’t think there’s much chance of Spurs getting 4th, with Villa managing to pull back a draw last night it means even a draw with Crystal Palace would enough for them as they have the much better goal difference. Saying that I think City will roast them tonight regardless.

Hard to really put myself in their shoes given the intensity of our rivalry.

What I would say is if Hearts beating us would stop Celtic winning the league, I'd want that to happen. I wouldn't be sitting at the game vocally supporting Hearts, but inside it's what I'd want to happen and have no problem admitting that.

Postecoglu knows that fine well, but of course he can't say it.

I'd never want my team to lose. But, like others, if there was nothing on the line for us and it meant Celtic losing a title, I would reluctantly accept a defeat. Spurs are not in that situation and I wouldn't be surprised if they take points off City.
Spurs have a CL place to play for, but I can’t see City losing it tbh

A situation like this is one of the many reasons why I will never understand why Spurs were invited to join the Super League.

Fans will want them to lose, but doubt some of the players care to that degree. Potential bonuses for win, CL football & not probably even being bothered about a rivalry with being from abroad.

Villa getting that draw last night was massive as Spurs now need to win both remaining games. Tough ask as even if they beat Man City, for as bad as Sheff Utd are, I don't see them giving away the 6,7,8 goals needed to overturn it.

Spurs could hand Arsenal the title and still not make the CL if Villa get a point. They have to take one for the team tonight to prevent hell freezing over.

I think the comparison down there to up here is apples and oranges.

Just spoke with a Spurs fan and they (well he) absolutely does not want Arsenal to win the league. Tinpot? Probably, however it's also 'rivalry'.

He also says that he'd rather they were in the Europa as they'd have a better chance of winning that.

The money generated in England is clearly worlds apart from here so the above argument, to me, seems perfectly reasonable.

So if I was a Spurs fan I probably would want Man City to win.

If the scenario was transposed to up here. I would want Rangers to win as, yes, the Bheasts would win the title but we'd have Champions League qualification.
Lot of bollocks. Spurs win very good chance they get CL football and can sign a better calibre of player in the summer. Wait till next season when they are making excuses about playing Thursday Sunday hampering their season. If they want to be a big club then start thinking like a big club. What happens if City win tonight and lose at the weekend? Unlikely but they came very close to blowing a last day decider to a QPR a few years back.

Imagine wanting to throw away the chance to play in the Champions League.

Villa getting that draw last night was massive as Spurs now need to win both remaining games. Tough ask as even if they beat Man City, for as bad as Sheff Utd are, I don't see them giving away the 6,7,8 goals needed to overturn it.
Sheff Utd have conceded over 100 goals in the league there is every chance Spurs could batter them if needed. They have conceded 5 or more goals in 8 EPL games this season.

Any Spurs fan willing to give up on the CL in these circumstances doesn’t deserve their club to have any future success imo. Singing City till July is absolutely Tim pot imo

If they don't win then they are out of 4th place. I would rather lose than draw in that case

Would have been good if villa lost last night as a draw tonight could have taken it to goal difference for both championship and 4th place.

Appreciate people saying you should want to win every game and you should but if it meant that Celtic won the league instead of a random third team then I’d be wanting to lose 100 times out of 100. Think it’s just easier to criticise it because we don’t think of Arsenal and Spurs being the same level of rivalry

A boy on 5live this morning was saying he'd been in the same position previously-didn't mention or I didn't hear the teams involved. His response was you go into the game wanting your team to win, but you don't feel bad if they lose.

Tim behaviour - lying down to a weak Aberdeen side.

You go out to win every game.

I'm quite sure it's purely coincidental that Celtic's only defeat against Aberdeen in their last 36 matches just happened to be the day a defeat would result in Rangers finishing lower in the league.

I'm quite sure it's purely coincidental that Celtic's only defeat against Aberdeen in their last 36 matches just happened to be the day a defeat would result in Rangers finishing lower in the league.
Yes, but the beggars had already won the league by that point and had nothing to play for, which isn’t close to the same situation as Spurs.

They aren't finishing 4th. That's all but gone so yes I imagine they will be wanting to lose.

Villa playing Palace on the last game with f all to play for and Villa only need 1 point unless Spurs beat City heavily.

EDIT - Just been notified Spurs last game is already relegated Sheff United so still a slim chance of getting 4th.
Palace might not have anything to play for but they've been playing some great football since Glasner came in. They're not just going to lay down for Villa

I would relate this to us.
Say Hearts and the scum were neck and neck for the title,I would want Hearts to beat us,no question,the scum did it years ago,they threw a game against hearts so they finished above us for a european spot.
It's often levelled at us(by our own support) that we're "too nice" for our own good,the poll above would suggest this extends to the fans as well.
If we weren't involved in a title race I would deny they fcuks by any means possible.
They wouldn't think twice about doing it to us.

A boy on 5live this morning was saying he'd been in the same position previously-didn't mention or I didn't hear the teams involved. His response was you go into the game wanting your team to win, but you don't feel bad if they lose.
Only other time I can think of was when Liverpool played Blackburn. Sure Liverpool won Redknapp scored in the game IIRC and Utd won the league?

If there was a more realistic chance of catching Villa then no, but yes as all a win is likely to achieve is a league win for Arsenal. Won't matter if they put in their best performance this season, though, Man City are winning.

Absolutely not.
You should want your team to win every games especially if there is a prize for you at the end of it, in this case CL football.

Only other time I can think of was when Liverpool played Blackburn. Sure Liverpool won Redknapp scored in the game IIRC and Utd won the league?
Blackburn won the league as Utd could only draw at West Ham.

Liverpool scored a last minute winner to beat Blackburn.

Its is silly as you are comparing apples and oranges.
If you are using the same scenario as what is happening down south then you would still want to lose and miss out in CL money?

Back