If you were our Manager on Sunday

THEGOVANFRONT

What woukd you change?

We can no longer quote having had a poor pre season, covid19, injuries & lack of form for our current position.
For me management have backed ourselves into a corner with our obsession over possession stats & thinking this will win you games.
Clearly the opposition are happy to allow us possession where it doesn't hurt them & our team appear to be comfortable in having this "easy" posession allowing g the opposition to organise.

What do we do next to get ourselves out of this extensive run of games that simply are the mirror image from 1 game to the next and are continuing to cost us points.

4-4-1-1

i dont think roofe and alfredo are a pair so id go morelos up front with hagi playing just behing. Id put wright on the right wing and tell him to stay wide

We aren't moving the ball quickly enough and players aren't moving into positions to receive the ball quickly enough. That's when we are at our best and teams can't cope with it.

This slow passing and build up play allows teams to get back into shape and we resort to just launching balls into the box or into forward areas in the hope something happens.

Far too pedestrian and predictable at the moment. We need Ryan Jack back to protect the defence and Ryan Kent back to make things happen in the final third.

Its not going to happen but a change of formation.

Motherwell know exactly how we will set and up and what team we play

Change it up!

Like to see Wright go wide and stay wide. Also Morelos and Roofe playing as a 2 and stay central

Paterson in and Hagi in the midfield centre. Sakala or wright for pace out wide.

Also SG should take a note out of walters managerial reign. Instead of sending Gazza for a half time whisky, he should boot Morelos in the balls and get him angry. Maybe tell Goldson Newcastle scouts are looking at him

I think everyone knows we need to move the ball quicker & play at a far higher tempo.

So, do we think management are instructing a more ensure possession build up to our play
Or
Are players failing to carry out instructions?

Whichever of these is correct it is a worry becauase if management can't see this issue & chose to continue playing this way then we are in bother
BUT
If players are failing to carry out management instructions, why are management sitting watching this n not making the necessary changes?

Probably preparing my after match interview with things like “We need to reset”, “we can’t keep giving away cheap goals” and “our strikers need to be more clinical.”

It's not really the tactics it's the poor quality of individual performances.

Both goals criminal last night but they had 1 more shot in 70 minutes. We had 9 on target, more quality needed.

If it were me I’d revert back to last seasons high press and back to leaving a man on the post defending set pieces. We’ve been too slow at times this season also and need some pace in the team

Mcgregor
Patterson goldson balogun bassey
Davis aribo arfield
Hagi Morelos Wright

We don’t need to change formation. We need to change a few players out. Tavernier and Goldson defensively were unacceptable last night. Can’t really drop Goldson so would start Patterson. In midfield would start Arfield. Move Aribo up one. Drop Morelos okay Roofe on his own with Aribo and Hagi behind him.

Macgregor

Patterson
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey

Tavernier
Kamara

Hagi
Aribo
Wright

Morelos

Tav can drop and cover centre half's but also we don't lose his assists.

And we do not pass the ball to the centre half from a goal kick

-----------Shagger
-----Goldson Balogun
Tav----- Lundstram -----Bassey
------Hagi -------Arfield
Wright-------------------Aribo
-----------Alfredo

Not much of a change in personnel or shape but a change in style.

Lundstram sits and doubles as a 3rd CB allowing the wing backs to get forward as we do now but even more overlapping with pace every chance they get nt just sitting wide as a safe pass.

In the middle I want Hagi and Arfield breaking their necks to get in and around the box and one of them always beside or breaking beyond Alfredo. I expect Hagi to be the main man and Arfield to mainly be the man bursting forward but they can swap.

Wide areas, no more inside number 10's, play them as wingers, tell them to get wide and stay wide.

Alfredo needs to play as a 9 not as a deep forward, lead the line son don't add to midfield.

Play with width, play with pace and attack relentlessly, be brave take chances and risks.

FM Loyal

What woukd you change?

We can no longer quote having had a poor pre season, covid19, injuries & lack of form for our current position.
For me management have backed ourselves into a corner with our obsession over possession stats & thinking this will win you games.
Clearly the opposition are happy to allow us possession where it doesn't hurt them & our team appear to be comfortable in having this "easy" posession allowing g the opposition to organise.

What do we do next to get ourselves out of this extensive run of games that simply are the mirror image from 1 game to the next and are continuing to cost us points.
4231 with actually wide players

Keep Morelos playing between the width of the goal posts and not dropping deep.

Widen/stretch the pitch as much as wee can. No need for our 2nd/3rd forwards tucking in next to our midfield three.

Minimise the sideways passing.

Be brave to take players on instead of just passing to a teammate hoping they do something.

McGregor
Patterson Goldson Balogun Bassey
Aribo Davis Kamara
Wright Morelos Sakala

Aribo looks like our lost creative player just now. Therefore we need him further up the park. Bring someone else back into the midfield and aribo further forward

McGregor
Patterson Goldson Balogun Bassey
Aribo Davis Kamara
Wright Roofe Kent

Oh, and very high press from the kick off till game put to bed.
No more pissin about at goal kicks.

McGregor
Paterson
Goldson (necessity )
Balogun
Borna (if fit )
Lundstrum
Bacuna
Hagi
Aribo
Morelos
Wright (Kent if fit )

I don’t know how I’d start, but I sure as hell wouldn’t wait until 75 minutes to change things if it clearly wasn’t working.

--------------McGregor
Patterson Simpson Balogun Bassey
------Davis ---------------Aribo
------------------Hagi
Wright --------Moreos ---------Sakala

I would stick with same team as last night but if Kent is fit bring him in for Roofe. Go to the 4-2-3-1 again with Hagi playing off Alfie and Aribo on the right where he is far more effective.

With the personnel available and the at best erratic form what can change?

Personally I'd build the team around Hagi in a number 10 role and try to have Tavernier and Patterson start together but I'm just some guy.

Individually Davis, Kamara and Lunstram can be good players, but against most SPL teams I think only one of them should be on the pitch at the same time, we seem to be far too negative when two of them play together. With two of them playing we dominate possession but don't create many chances.

We also need more pace in the team, things were just too sluggish all over the park last night, Wright and Sakala should start because we need their pace to cause other teams problems.

People like to single out Hagi for a lack of pace, but there are many other players in the team who lack it.

I think that is another major problem with the squad, there are too many players who lack pace, for the next two transfer windows we need to avoid signing any slow players, the management should be checking the players pace when they come for a medical, reject the guys who can't run very fast.

Back