Ifs, buts, maybes - but why did we let Defoe go?

Kingwoody

Fully prepared to be slaughtered for this. And I fully acknowledge that I hadn't seen Defoe in training (Gio has) But for the life of me - I still cannot see why we let Defoe (effectively) retire in January while he was still contracted to us.

A 10 minute cameo here and there couldnt have hurt surely?
Am I looking back through rose tinted specs or is this one of those curious moments of Gio logic that stops you in your tracks?

Fully prepared to be slaughtered for this. And I fully acknowledge that I hadn't seen Defoe in training (Gio has) But for the life of me - I still cannot see why we let Defoe (effectively) retire in January while he was still contracted to us.

A 10 minute cameo here and there couldnt have hurt surely?
Am I looking back through rose tinted specs or is this one of those curious moments of Gio logic that stops you in your tracks?
Gerrard ruined him by telling him to focus on coaching rather than play him. Especially when we were struggling badly for goals.

Because he was past being a useful asset.

Even in 20/21 he didn’t really contribute anything season defining, hardly played until the league was done then agreed the player coach role, which I found a bit weird at the time.

Seems a cracking bloke, scored some lovely goals and played a part in our revival - happy retirement.

It is a fair Question, but his mind was not on playing it was on gaining experience in coaching. So best for all. Who is to say with our current luck he would not be injured?

Hardly rocket science, can understand this thread the day or so after he was let go but 5 months down the line and you know that he’s retired after failing to get games at Sunderland in league one and you’re “stopped in your tracks”, weird thread

It is a fair Question, but his mind was not on playing it was on gaining experience in coaching. So best for all. Who is to say with our current luck he would not be injured?
Oh, given the way the season has gone, undoubtedly he'd be injured.
I would just like to have seen him on the bench that play Goldson upfront for the last 10 minutes against the scum

Hardly rocket science, can understand this thread the day or so after he was let go but 5 months down the line and you know that he’s retired after failing to get games at Sunderland in league one and you’re “stopped in your tracks”, weird thread
Simply because this was what happened exactly 12 months ago. Popped up on my feed and given how thin on the ground strikers are for us at the moment.

Oh, given the way the season has gone, undoubtedly he'd be injured.
I would just like to have seen him on the bench that play Goldson upfront for the last 10 minutes against the scum

resigning him is probably part of why the season has went how it has TBH.

If we had sucked it up, booted him and then not recalled Itten we likely have the forward to prevent Goldson having to go up front

Simply because this was what happened exactly 12 months ago. Popped up on my feed and given how thin on the ground strikers are for us at the moment.

Just a pity we weren’t there to see it,the roar would have been incredible

facepalm-really.gif

The man has retired from the sport, that’s why.

The day he started after Warsaw v the poets probably showed why he was ready to retire

Great servant for us and deserved his medal.

Sadly 10 years too late

I'm just glad we had a player of Defoes caliber playing for us. In his short spell he was a great servant on and off the pitch. GSJD

In truth he should left last summer and he might still been playing right now for another team

I wish it ended different for him at Sunderland but the lack of match time finally caught up with him and it show, his heart was still there but not body or mind

In truth he should left last summer and he might still been playing right now for another team

I wish it ended different for him at Sunderland but the lack of match time finally caught up with him and it show, his heart was still there but not body or mind
I never saw him play at Sunderland. Gutted he never got a proper send off.

I'd love to see him return to Ibrox at some point so we can show our appreciation

See McGregor for just how quickly and dramatically someone that age can decline.

Surprised he even lasted as long at Rangers as he did, what a signing.

See McGregor for just how quickly and dramatically someone that age can decline.

Surprised he even lasted as long at Rangers as he did, what a signing.
Given Davis' is a year younger - is this/should this be his last season too?

Gerrard ruined him by telling him to focus on coaching rather than play him. Especially when we were struggling badly for goals.
Correct. At that age he needed regular minutes. He was absolutely lethal in the box. Also (Tim hat on) it's a symptom of our over reliance on Morelos. When someone needs to fill the void they haven't got enough minutes under the belt to be sharp right away.

Should have been kept to be used as a sub if we’re struggling.
Or when he did go should have been replaced.

Love Arfield and Davis but in an ideal world you move these kind of players on after 4 years, sometimes even if they aren’t fully regressing as harsh as that is.

I think it will be. We improved dramatically when he went off. I was shouting for Arfield to go off but the correct decision was made because we suddenly had energy in midfield and could press further up the field with Davis out. It pains me to type that as he has been magnificent for us.

Love Arfield and Davis but in an ideal world you move these kind of players on after 4 years, sometimes even if they aren’t fully regressing as harsh as that is.
In an ideal world you move someone like Davis on after 4 years? Because of his age or just that type of player?

We need to make room for youngsters and new players.
Wages need saved .
Mcgregor and davis should retire or leave.
Arfield for his expierence may get a year in my book.

Between him, Davis and McGregor, the monthly bill for Ralgex and Deep Heat had spiralled out of control. Something had to give.

If Gerrard hadnt made him in to a coach/player and left him as a player he would have still been playing. He says it himself he lost focus on the playing side.

My mate is a sunderland season ticket holder and said it was sad how awful he was. He quickly retired.

If you’re thinking about him for the game yesterday then you’re off your head. Be better with Makaay.

Back