Impressive tactical changes by PSV 2nd half

My take from last night is that we can play patient build up out from the back against jobber SPFL teams and it doesn’t phase us, as soon as a team presses us the wings come out and we flap like a doo. We don’t have the ability to out pass a high press, especially on a wet slippy night where touches were going everywhere. At one point in the 2nd half McLaughlin passed out to Sands and there was 8 Eindhoven players in front of him, so they cottoned on pretty quickly.

Defensively we done ourselves no favours, losing out to 2 set pieces is a bit of a sore one IMO.

Anything can happen next week though!

My take from last night is that we can play patient build up out from the back against jobber SPFL teams and it doesn’t phase us, as soon as a team presses us the wings come out and we flap like a doo. We don’t have the ability to out pass a high press, especially on a wet slippy night where touches were going everywhere. At one point in the 2nd half McLaughlin passed out to Sands and there was 8 Eindhoven players in front of him, so they cottoned on pretty quickly.

Defensively we done ourselves no favours, losing out to 2 set pieces is a bit of a sore one IMO.

Anything can happen next week though!
You're right about us being poor passing out from the back but it did serve us well in Europe last season .

We're good on the counter attack , I do fancy us to score next week but we really can't afford as many defensive errors as you can tell they're gonna create plenty at home

Aye I agree I thought PSV were much better second half, watched the YouTube highlights back there and Goldson doesn't cover himself in glory for either PSV goal.

Tillman looks able to replace Aribo’s ability in the air at set pieces. In fact I’d be confident in him actually being an improvement in that respect pretty quickly.
His fitness needs working on, he seems to fall out often around the 60 minute mark.

What are the opinions of McLaughlin? I thought one of the reasons he's the number 1 was because he took pressure off our backline at set pieces. At the game I thought he could've come for the 2nd goal. Watched it back last night and he appeared to have had the space to go for it.

PSV played the high press against our defense, kept us passing the ball across our box numerous times before we could get it forward. It was a shrewd tactic by them. If we adopt the same slow play out from the back next Tuesday, it'll leave them parked in our half most of the night.

They had to combat Davis and lundstrum and pushed a lot tighter against them, they also forced the ball out to sands and borna time and again with how they closed the space between Goldson and tav and cut out that danger.

I said before the season but we are physically much weaker. Sands is never a CH, he did okay tonight again I thought but hes miles away from imposing himself on an attack. Goldson is facing to much pressure without a proper CH beside him and it’s showing. We’ve regressed massively and it was a huge mistake not keeping Leon.

we have a big problem in the squad and how small it is and the huge lack of physicality And power.The new left back looks almost comical in stature, although could be a wonder star who knows we need to give him time. Davies big criticism and the stats seem to back it up is he was perceived as soft down south, lack of aerial ability.

at set plays last year Aribo made a huge difference at both ends. It’s astonishing how weak we are now, and psv tactically exploited it.

A couple of valid points in there, but mostly surrounded by melodramatic pish.

Anyone stating Sands had a poor game v PSV or can’t play central defence, that Goldson is suffering as he needs to cover for him, well you know %^*& all about football.

Maybe Goldson in his head thinks he has to cover. But Connor Goldson right now isn’t doing his own job well enough, and has been average since start of the season. James Sands for me was the best player on the pitch over the entire game, especially when we were under pressure for most of the 2nd half.

Is he playing out of position? Yes, he probably is. But he could be developed into a very good central defender. He wasn’t the issue last night and hasn’t been the issue much since his arrival.

Sands done better than OK. He was solid. Never lost a 1 on 1.

Borna was isolated because Kent was blowing out his arse for 40 mins and the management never seen fit to change that. Also any time Sands or Borna got the ball there was no out ball, Colak stood stationary, Kent the same.

He wasn't poor. But, let's be honest, it's not overly difficult to achieve a 100% pass rate when all you're doing the majority of the time is passing it to your defensive partner 10 yards away under no pressure.

Context is everything with these types of analyses.
Agreed, but that’s one point out of a long list there, the defending stats are pretty solid.

Back