In Alfie and big Colak, we have to exceptional goal scoring threats. How does Gio utilise both in the same team.

Personally, I'd like to see both start against Hibs tomorrow. Not the ideal opponents granted and it might still be a bit too early of Alfie. So a bit of a hypothetical question, but we need to get this partnership up and running. The two of them terrorising the oppositions defence is something I very much look forward to, but how do we go about.

A 4, 4, 2 formation and some like the following.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

I doubt it, a 4,4,2 formation is not going to happen any time soon.

So the question is.

How does Gio utilise both players in the same team?
He doesn't. As many others have said more eloquently than I possibly could, they won't play together.

I grew up with two strikers too but it aint happening here. Both players are enough of a threat on their own with the wingers or box crashers or full backs or whatever shegite The Athletic want to call the players who aid in the attacks.

Personally, I'd like to see both start against Hibs tomorrow. Not the ideal opponents granted and it might still be a bit too early of Alfie. So a bit of a hypothetical question, but we need to get this partnership up and running. The two of them terrorising the oppositions defence is something I very much look forward to, but how do we go about.

A 4, 4, 2 formation and some like the following.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

I doubt it, a 4,4,2 formation is not going to happen any time soon.

So the question is.

How does Gio utilise both players in the same team?
I long for a Hateley,Mcoist type partnership once again. Perhaps this could be it. Too often Alfie is left to fight for his own ball, to then have zero option as he is not in a striking position. If Colak could up his ante re Hateley, what a strike force that would be. I personally like your formation. We have zero killer instinct. Time we did

I was watching a video of Morelos first 100 goals for us, he was so much sharper, leaner and more dynamic back then.

Granted he’s scored plenty of big goals in Europe and improved his all around play, he’s a different player now. But his fitness, sharpness and physical condition has definitely declined over the last couple of seasons.

He’s also nowhere near consistent enough and has barren spells every season. Maybe actually having to fight for his shirt will help keep him focussed and pushing to be his best every game.

Last edited:
In my young days, we had Miller and Brand then Forrest and McLean. later McCoist and Hately. I never saw anything wrong in playing two strikers then and I don't see it now.

There’s no way he’s gonna go two up top. His formation relies on a 5 man midfield. I can’t see him sacrificing a midfielder or a defender.

Gerrard tried it will Morelos and Defoe and failed.

Just put it out there to gets peoples thoughts on the matter.

Do you not like the thought of them playing together?

I certainly do, but as others have pointed out, looks like Gio dosnae fancy the idea at the moment.

Time will tell I suppose.
Oh don’t get me wrong, I wondered (openly on here) if this was an option too, when signed Čolak!

But I really don’t now that Gio is going as the midfielders or wide men to play differently. I don’t think he thinks he needs to. In theory they damage they could do? Oooft! But I don’t think Alfie can tbh, for starters.

I was watching a video of Morelos first 100 goals for us, he was so much sharper, leaner and more dynamic back then.

Granted he’s scored plenty of big goals in Europe and improved his all around play, he’s a different player now. But his fitness, sharpness and physical condition has definitely declined over the last couple of seasons.

He’s also nowhere near consistent enough and has barren spells every season. Maybe actually having to fight for his shirt will help keep him focussed and pushing to be his best every game.
I've just watched on FB his hat trick vs Kilmarnock in 2018. Of course players can through diet and training put on weight, however the difference between then and now is very noticeable.

I've just watched on FB his hat trick vs Kilmarnock in 2018. Of course players can through diet and training put on weight, however the difference between then and now is very noticeable.
Yeah I didn’t realise how much slower or out of shape he’s become until I looked back and saw how sharp he was. Still a great player and a force but he could be so much better.

Just watched that now, massively noticeable how sharp and lean he was then compared to the last season or two.

I really hope the competition has the desired effect.

This is the first time since Walter’s second spell where we now appear to have genuine options up top

In recent years it’s been Morelos but Colak has now got up and running with goals and ultimately goals win games.

I was certain once Morelos is fit he’d be the nailed on starter but I think Gio really rates Colak, especially his work rate and clinical finishing. Now I’m not so sure Morelos will be the guaranteed starter.

On the OP question, I don’t think Morelos likes playing with a striker. Gerrard tried it a couple of times and it just didn’t work IMO
Well put!

Not if we win it isn’t

Tav & Borna feeding the front 2

If only Douglas Park done Delorean motors

No for me. Never in a million years would I play 7 defensive players on the pitch at the same time against SPFL jobbers.

Doubt Gio will either tbh.

Not saying we won’t see Colak and Morelos on the pitch at the same time.

But I’d be horrified to see Tav, Goldson, Sands, Davies, Barisic, Lundstram, and Jack all start a match vs another SPFL team.

Last edited:
If only Douglas Park done Delorean motors

No for me. Never in a million years would I play 7 defensive players on the pitch at the same time against SPFL jobbers.

Doubt Gio will either tbh.
FFS the matchthread would be about 700 pages long an hour before KO :))

I was a bit perplexed Alfie didn’t get on the other night the more I think about it it’s great management

Alfie would have been hurt he didn’t play at all this should motivate him to get fitter and to play to his best when he gets a chance to play win win for me

Back