Injuries and squad a rubbish excuse

No, players and injuries make a massive difference.
When we had our players fit and firing we looked like winning the league at a canter, injuries to key players 100% cost us more than is being said.

Next season hopefully a fully fit team and no injuries and we will really see that our manager is the right guy! Our team when we had everyone fit was playing some great football and inning games at a canter.

This season we have been unlucky in that injuries have happened to most of our key players and at key times. With the start to the season we had and you can see we have done great to get to this point and be disappointed at not winning this league.

I trust we will be back next year and will be champions again.

When we had our players fit and firing we looked like winning the league at a canter, injuries to key players 100% cost us more than is being said.

Next season hopefully a fully fit team and no injuries and we will really see that our manager is the right guy! Our team when we had everyone fit was playing some great football and inning games at a canter.

This season we have been unlucky in that injuries have happened to most of our key players and at key times. With the start to the season we had and you can see we have done great to get to this point and be disappointed at not winning this league.

I trust we will be back next year and will be champions again.

we were either firing on all cylinders or if not, seeing out tricky games with ease
the injuries to pace and guile in the squad stopped the momentum

devils advocate:

he wanted Sterlings pace and power to go at their left side - given the options are a wildly off form McCausland & and a never on form Wright, i can let that one go

he put Lawrence in the middle for (perceived) more dig than Cantwell but (supposed) ability to get forward - clearly a mistake, he is done in any kind of fitness sense

Raskin clearly hasn't been fancied - clearly a mistake given the cliff that the 50/50 chance of a Good Lundstram's form has falled off - he's done as well IMO
I get the predicament with Sterling, but Raskin was a far better option than Lawrence. I find it a bit concerning that he doesn’t see that.

I get the predicament with Sterling, but Raskin was a far better option than Lawrence. I find it a bit concerning that he doesn’t see that.

absolutely agree
hopefully the last 2 appearances will see Raskin play the rest of the season in place of Lundstram
cannot be worse

We have been asking the same group of 18 players or so to keep going every game. Even in amongst that, we've had injuries and the manager gets pelters for using the squad, simply because he's had no other option.

The squad had been on it's erse and you just can't keep losing key players. The usual scapegoats have carried the ire of the support. Lundstram's tackle on Saturday, I initially though was a good hard tackle and might have acted as a kick up the erse. Unfortunately when you see the replay, he's mistimed it, he's a bit high as well and it's a red card. It only compounded the fact that he scored the OG.

Remember that lot also had pretty much their strongest team out on Saturday as well, while we're trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Our injury list is always worse than most. It's clearly more than luck & it must be addressed. Couple that with poor recruitment then we're always 2 injuries away from a Scott Wright appearance.

We need strength in depth & we have to be avoiding guys with patchy injury records.

It’s all part of the same issue, we don’t recruit the right players or the right coaching/medical staff so we end up with lots of injuries which hinder us massively on the pitch
Before coming to us, Ridvan missed 14 games in his career.
He's since missed 38.

Sterling: 9 games missed at Stoke due to groin injury

Butland: 56 games due to a compound fracture in 15/16
Goldson: 18 games due to heart issues 16/17 (21 games missed since signing for us)
Souttar: 166 games out before signing, missed 46 last season, has made 41 appearances this year
Borna: no injury hx before moving to us, 37 games missed since joining us
Tav: no injury history before moving to us, minimal injuries since moving to us.
Raskin: 11 games out before moving to us, 19 since
Jack: 69 games missed in 5 years at Aberdeen (half of them in 12/13 due to a broken foot), 129 in 6 years since signing for us.
Cantwell: 14 in 5 years at Norwich, 10 in 2 here
Dowell: 18 in 3 years at Norwich, 34 since signing for us.
Lawrence: no injury history before signing for us. 56 games missed in 2 years.
Sima: 51 games missed in the 3 years before he came to us, 18 since coming to us (still managed 38 appearances)
Cortes : 1 game missed before Rangers, 11 since January.
Danilo: 33 games missed in 6 years. 41 since signing for us.
Dessers: 32 games missed in 7 years. No absences for us of note.
Roofe: 29 games missed in 2 years before us, 96 since coming to us.

The injury histories, Roofe and Souttar apart, are not horrendous before signing for us. Is it too many games? Some of the surfaces? The lack of protection from agricultural challenges?

*All figures from transfermarkt. Take any disputes up with them or post from a more accurate site yourself.

The manager says he knows what’s behind it - I sincerely hope the club are honest with the fans about what is/was.

when he arrived Roofe was immediately sent to Belgium to be assessed and it seems so far he has been "available" as much as Roofe can be i.e. not actually injured but not remotely fit enough to make a significant contributions anymore.

Like Ryan Jack, the legs can't carry on after nursing injuries all this time.

the lack of times Roofe has completed 90mins for us during his time is eye watering.

Ultimately no-one ever really cares about excuses so it's better not to make them.

I would like to know our injury rate compared to the other SPL teams though. If we're an outlier then that would be an issue and something that needs changed.

I'm fully behind the manager but this is my main niggle - midfield has been our main issue since hearts and he's not used raskin who was the obvious replacement for Diomande when injured, and to bolster midfield v the Tim's. He's not been brilliant this season but last 2 games have shown what he offers and his skillset would have aided us more than Lawrence (or dowell) in crucial games where we dropped points.

I kind of get sterling given issues in other areas of the park.

It's been a frustrating season no doubt, and we have to hope the manager learns on some of his failings for next season.

First half showed it's not an excuse but merely fact, when you don't have your best players fit then you won't get your best performances. As Clement warned if you can't do the correct things for 90 minutes you will play for r a lesser side. This again isn't an excuse but the reality of Rangers at the moment.
Clement has inherited a dud hand of crocks and some of our squad will move on, none of which will move to bigger ot better things

Gio got ridiculously sacked because of these injuries

He had about 12 players out for most of his tenure
The warning signs were there before the injuries, the results and performances were beyond brutal, we took heavy embarrassments pre injuries and it's folk with magic hindsight glasses who want to reimagine history. Gio wasn't solely sacked for the CL embarrassment

Simply put, you can’t win a league with Dessers up front.
With a couple of midfielders and a second striker banging in 10-15 goals each you absolutely can - talking these "10's" like Dowell, Cantwell, Lawrence who have contributed next to nothing in terms of goals. And of course injuries to other forwards like Danilo, Cortes, Sima have not helped.

We are not a one man team.

Before coming to us, Ridvan missed 14 games in his career.
He's since missed 38.

Sterling: 9 games missed at Stoke due to groin injury

Butland: 56 games due to a compound fracture in 15/16
Goldson: 18 games due to heart issues 16/17 (21 games missed since signing for us)
Souttar: 166 games out before signing, missed 46 last season, has made 41 appearances this year
Borna: no injury hx before moving to us, 37 games missed since joining us
Tav: no injury history before moving to us, minimal injuries since moving to us.
Raskin: 11 games out before moving to us, 19 since
Jack: 69 games missed in 5 years at Aberdeen (half of them in 12/13 due to a broken foot), 129 in 6 years since signing for us.
Cantwell: 14 in 5 years at Norwich, 10 in 2 here
Dowell: 18 in 3 years at Norwich, 34 since signing for us.
Lawrence: no injury history before signing for us. 56 games missed in 2 years.
Sima: 51 games missed in the 3 years before he came to us, 18 since coming to us (still managed 38 appearances)
Cortes : 1 game missed before Rangers, 11 since January.
Danilo: 33 games missed in 6 years. 41 since signing for us.
Dessers: 32 games missed in 7 years. No absences for us of note.
Roofe: 29 games missed in 2 years before us, 96 since coming to us.

The injury histories, Roofe and Souttar apart, are not horrendous before signing for us. Is it too many games? Some of the surfaces? The lack of protection from agricultural challenges?

*All figures from transfermarkt. Take any disputes up with them or post from a more accurate site yourself.
Tav, for all his faults, has been immensely consistent injury wise for a number of years. No surgeries or muscle issues come to mind, yet he runs more than anyone else in the squad. I wonder why this is?

Back