Interesting find from 1953

Northampton_Loyalist

I collect old books and on my last trawl around a bookshop, came across Raymond Glendenning's book of sport for boys from the coronation year. In it there is Glendenning's 'Team of the year' and in this year, our very own George Young was selected at full back.

quick image uploader
gif upload site

upload image websites

upload photo websites

Interesting to note from reading the article, Billy Steel from Dundee made this 'team of the year' for 1950-51 and was the only other Scottish based player over the 4 year period to make it in.

Sorry about last 2 pictures being sideways, I'm a technomong.

edit, missed a picture

The Gentle Giant George Young was a magnificent Centre a Half for us before moving to Right Back as Dougie Grey was nearing retirment. He moved back to Centre Half when Willie Woodburn was suspended.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr Young nearly 40 years ago after a match between Circles Nightclub ( Hamilton) and a Canadian xi he had brought over to Scotland for a tour.

Gentleman to speak to and delighted when I could talk to him about the Rangers and his Tillietudlem Hotel in Crossford.

One of my old man's favourite players.

WATP

The addition of the date was to specify what old meant :D To someone, a 50 year old book might be considered old. My oldest is a lovely calfskin covered book published in 1670. That is old :D

His pal Billy Steel is mentioned there too. Nearly joined Rangers but when Struth found out he had given his word to Dundee, Struth told him to honour that agreement. What a combination they would have been in a Rangers team.

Back