International breaks are brutal for us fans however..

Hazylight1989

These International breaks late into the season are absolutely brutal for us as fans, especially for friendlies when Scotland stink the place out however I feel the the 16 day break couldn't have came at a better time for us.

The squad was toiling there: 1 win in 4, injuries starting to bite, key players playing way to many minutes and starting to show it... This break would have given them the chance to regroup, refocus, get fitter and hopefully work on attacking set pieces.

These International breaks late into the season are absolutely brutal for us as fans, especially for friendlies when Scotland stink the place out however I feel the the 16 day break couldn't have came at a better time for us.

The squad was toiling there: 1 win in 4, injuries starting to bite, key players playing way to many minutes and starting to show it... This break would have given them the chance to regroup, refocus, get fitter and hopefully work on attacking set pieces.

And defending I hope.

Agree the break was well needed though, look forward to seeing who lines up on Saturday and the gaffers squad update.

Ideally we’re going into the beggars game with only Danilo, Cortes and Dowell missing

And defending I hope.

Agree the break was well needed though, look forward to seeing who lines up on Saturday and the gaffers squad update.

Ideally we’re going into the beggars game with only Danilo, Cortes and Dowell missing
Dont see why dowell cant be back very soon. We were told 6-8 weeks mid january

We needed it badly.

The idea of an already tired squad with a few players probably playing with knocks putting in 90 minutes on that Dens Park pitch really isn’t worth thinking about.

I agree to an extent, we definitely needed the break, however it's utter madness scheduling international friendlies at this stage of the season, we have lost our first choice left back as a result.

I think this is the sort of thing where the person just shifts the goalposts to suit their feelings at the time. Sometimes there's nothing better than playing a run of games continuously to keep momentum, sometimes the rest or lack of games has caused a lack of sharpness. Other times the break really helped. In short I don't see any real reason to believe it'll be good or bad and that'll depend entirely on how we play on Saturday.

We needed it for the first time in while

Would have preferred to get that Dundee game done though

International games are genuinely fucking terrible and a complete drag.

The one win in four thing seems very like a stick the media would use against us. You need to factor in that two of those games were in the last 16 of Europe.

The squad needed a break though, that's absolutely correct. Hope they have recharged for a massive final push.

The one win in four thing seems very like a stick the media would use against us. You need to factor in that two of those games were in the last 16 of Europe.

The squad needed a break though, that's absolutely correct. Hope they have recharged for a massive final push.
I think you need to treat an away draw in Europe as being the equivalent of a win, especially in a knockout situation. The home leg was marginally disappointing but you can see that the team are kanckered and we had a huge injury list.

We needed it badly.

The idea of an already tired squad with a few players probably playing with knocks putting in 90 minutes on that Dens Park pitch really isn’t worth thinking about.
I agree - I couldn't believe the amount of people who wanted that game to be played last Sunday.. we might have 3 or 4 more players available and will almost certainly be fresher for the rearranged game then we would have if we had played it then.

2 of those 4 were against Champions league Benfica

You cant just not mention that context as if 1 win in 4 that includes 50% of matches against a team far superior to anything we will play in Scotland was indicative of where we were at and our likely success for the domestic season moving forward from that point.

1 win in 4 when two ties were against Benfica…

Some perspective required there.
I get what the OP was trying to do

But no need to exaggerate the situation pre international break by ignoring that piece of context. It massively changes how you look at it.

It's not like we played 4 league games v St Johnstone, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs and only got one win

You can't just pretend like 2 games v a Champions league calibre side in the latter stages of Europe is comparable to domestic games

2 of those 4 were against Champions league Benfica

You cant just not mention that context as if 1 win in 4 that includes 50% of matches against a team far superior to anything we will play in Scotland was indicative of where we were at and our likely success for the domestic season moving forward from that point.
Champions League Benfica :)

As long as we beat Champions League Celtic I'll be happy :)

11 wins from 14 since returning from break is the best way to put it.
Domestically in 2024
9 out of 10 league wins
3 out of 3 cup wins
12 wins, 1 draw

I don't see how we performed against Benfica as relevant to how we will do v Hibs or Dundee

But the 3 non wins were immediately preceding the break. It doesn’t take away from how well we’ve done to admit the injuries were catching up and we were running on fumes this month.
But it's disingenuous to assert those Benfica results were down to injuries piling up

The biggest factor is Benfica are levels above anything we will face in Scotland. Including the Rolf Harris XI.

So it's being a bit sleekit to not acknowledge that 2 of those 4 results not being a win are more about the calibre of opposition than anything else.

1 win 4 is accurate. But you cannot "lie by ommission" and fail to acknowledge what is far, far different about those games to any other we will play between January and August 2024.

Ridvan’s only missing Hibs though, and we don’t know where we’re at with Sterling, Sima, Danilo, Dowell etc.
I must have missed this. Was this said at a press conference or something mate ?

Edit. Seen your replies above mate.

But it's disingenuous to assert those Benfica results were down to injuries piling up

The biggest factor is Benfica are levels above anything we will face in Scotland. Including the Rolf Harris XI.

So it's being a bit sleekit to not acknowledge that 2 of those 4 results not being a win are more about the calibre of opposition than anything else.

1 win 4 is accurate. But you cannot "lie by ommission" and fail to acknowledge what is far, far different about those games to any other we will play between January and August 2024.
We’ll never know but I disagree. Think we’d have beaten Benfica at least at Ibrox even a few weeks before.

Motherwell was probably just one of those days but our lack of attacking options certainly made it easier for them to hang on.

Back