Ipswich Town Promoted

Davie Weir

Ipswich confirmed as promoted with a second place finish. Back to back promotions from League 1 and now the Championship to Premier League.

An incredible achievement from their squad and Keiran McKenna in his first managerial job. Should be a nice change from the usual teams coming up and playing in the Premiership.

3 ex Rangers players in the squad albeit none played today. George Edmundson, Dominic Ball and Sone Aluko.

Manager done a cracking job.

Relatives of mine met the fridges dad at one of our friendlies, he was incredibly proud that Edmundson had managed to get a move to us.

Anyone shed any light on why they subbed the keeper on 90 mins? Was the oncoming player a long standing player or something?

Just curious.

Well done to the fridge, Sone and Dom Ball

Ipswich confirmed as promoted with a second place finish. Back to back promotions from League 1 and now the Championship to Premier League.

An incredible achievement from their squad and Keiran McKenna in his first managerial job. Should be a nice change from the usual teams coming up and playing in the Premiership.

3 ex Rangers players in the squad albeit none played today. George Edmundson, Dominic Ball and Sone Aluko.

I think, they'll struggle next season, but it would be a nice town to be in tonight. So they should enjoy the festivities and throughout the summer.

Sone Aluko, surely has to be in the veteran stage by now?

We certainly could be doing with the Aluko, of twelve years ago in this insipid midfield.

Been to a few games over the years at Portman Rd so delighted to see them on the rise again after a few years in the doldrums. They'll struggle next season unfortunately.

Was there not a story about Ipswich interested in Butland last week
Could be rubbish

My wee brother playing for his boys club in the Scottish cup in the early 80’s played against a team from Glasgow called Ipswich Boys Club.they had an official link with Ipswich

Well done Ipswich.

A great team to watch in the Mariner, Gates, Wark, Butcher etc era of Bobby Robson.

Enjoy your summer Tractor Boys.
Agreed, very unlucky just to be pipped for the title by Liverpool one season.
The guys you mentioned plus Mick Mills, George Burley (aye him) Kevin Beattie and (whisper it) Alan Brazil.
Great memories of that team.

A tremendous achievement.

I imagine McKenna would not stand for Sheffield United approach of this season. Though making his team competitive in the EPL will require a lot of work.

This season in particular has shown that a good bunch of lads from the Championship with a smattering of signings won’t be enough. Though too many additions and you risk upsetting what he has going on there. It’s a difficult one.

But even to be in the position to have this problem is sensational for them.

I've become a fan of them this season, they've been fantastic to watch. Hugely deserved.

Had absolutely no idea sone aluko was still playing!

Reactions: VGM
It must be said that is an amazing achievement by Ipswich.
The EFL championship is the hardest league in the world to get promoted from.
There are so many teams of similar ability.
In some ways, coming from nowhere may have been an advantage to Ipswich as their opponents would not have played them last season and the style of football would have been a surprise.
Ipswich were actually runners up in league one to Plymouth last season and of course, Argyle only managed to stay in the championship by winning themselves today to avoid relegation.

How easy or difficult is it to get tickets for the derby mate?
I’d say it will be quite difficult unless you can get tickets off someone, the game at Portman Road this season was all but a sell out, same with the game at Carrow Road, main issue is because East Anglia hasn’t got many teams playing at a quality standard (closest teams to Ipswich and Norwich standard are Peterborough and Cambridge United) a lot of fans would rather get tickets to watch Ipswich/Norwich play, instead of going to see their team, such is the case with a few Cambridge United fans in my experience

I’d say it will be quite difficult unless you can get tickets off someone, the game at Portman Road this season was all but a sell out, same with the game at Carrow Road, main issue is because East Anglia hasn’t got many teams playing at a quality standard (closest teams to Ipswich and Norwich standard are Peterborough and Cambridge United) a lot of fans would rather get tickets to watch Ipswich/Norwich play, instead of going to see their team, such is the case with a few Cambridge United fans in my experience
Cheers mate. Thinking of trying a few derbies next season if possible and that would be a good one if they were in the same league.

It must be said that is an amazing achievement by Ipswich.
The EFL championship is the hardest league in the world to get promoted from.
There are so many teams of similar ability.
In some ways, coming from nowhere may have been an advantage to Ipswich as their opponents would not have played them last season and the style of football would have been a surprise.
Ipswich were actually runners up in league one to Plymouth last season and of course, Argyle only managed to stay in the championship by winning themselves today to avoid relegation.

I think that puts their achievement into perspective. If Birmingham City had beat Rotherham in one of the last games PA would've been relegate, yet the team that finished second to them are now in the EPL.

Winning breeds winning. Then its all about the manager setting the right mindset in the players throughout the season making sure their standards do not drop. They had a little blip but even during that blip they were didn't lose lots of games it was mainly draws.

The only good thing about that is the amount of standby cover I’d get at the games! Norwich fans are a bunch of dingles
Would rather be in Suffolk than Norfolk, although us East Anglians are all a part of the Webbed feet brigade according to the rest of England

Back