Is Aribo's poor form a concern for Sunday.

barrheadbear

Watched the Nigeria v Ghana WC qualifier yesterday as Aribo, Balogun and Bassey all started. The 1-1 draw saw Nigeria fail to qualify for Qatar

Fair too say Aribo had a stinker, contributed almost nothing in the game, seemed content to trot about in the middle without doing much as the game passed him by. By all accounts the Nigerian sports journalists have the knives out for him (and a few others).

Aribo's form for Rangers has dipped alarmingly since returning from the African Nations Cup in January. With every passing game he looks more and more knackered, contributing very little. With the massive importance of a win on Sunday we cannot afford a passenger therefore is Aribo's current form deserving of a starting shirt.

Last edited:
He’ll start, rightfully so.

He hasn’t been great since AFCON, in my opinion he’s absolutely knackered after playing an awful lot of football.

However, his ability to keep the ball and his size mean that he’s useful from set pieces, that’s before you discuss his creative ability.

He’ll start on the right, I reckon.

He needs to show up soon.

I do worry about the ones who didn’t make the WC mentally but. Cant be bringing any hangover into this game

Hasn't performed particularly well since returning from AFCOM tbh. Was our best player until that.
Fully agree. Tbh with the form of Jack and Lundstrum, coupled with Kamara normally playing so well against THEM, then you consider Ramsay knocking on the door and also that Arfield usually pulls them all over the place with his late runs. I’m not sure Joe should start on Sunday. It’s a tough one. He hasn’t been bad he’s just not influenced the games the way he was first half of season or even in seasons gone by. Time to step up and play. Think he will start but if he goes through the motions then he should be one of the first to be changed if he isn’t on his game.

Yes.

Up to the staff to decide whether his heads in it and, more importantly to motivate him to produce a performance. You deffo want a firing Joe Aribo against the bheasts.

That said, Alex Lowry? Impudence of youth, no fear etc. The boy is flying.
I can't think of too much he's ever contributed against them to be honest. Did well for the assist for Kenny's o.g. in the Cup game last season iirc? Other than that I'm struggling.

Too much football. more minutes than anyone in the team so far this season, (Tav/Goldson played more domestically but Aribo more with internationals added)
Nowhere near his best but he has certainly became the whipping boy in here since the turn of the year.

I can't think of too much he's ever contributed against them to be honest. Did well for the assist for Kenny's o.g. in the Cup game last season iirc? Other than that I'm struggling.
I thought he had a terrific game against them when Katic scored a couple years ago. Also claiming McGregors bullet header OG last season :D

Pulled off possibly the greatest first touch I've seen in a game against them in my lifetime too.

Too much football. more minutes than anyone in the team so far this season, (Tav/Goldson played more domestically but Aribo more with internationals added)
Nowhere near his best but he has certainly became the whipping boy in here since the turn of the year.
Wouldn't say he's become a whipping boy at all, people have just been pointing out he hasn't been close to the standards he set in the first half of the season, which is true. We need him at his best.

Made Davis' goal too in the same game.

I wouldn't play him. He should have been given a couple of weeks off to rest well before this though. He was our best player before Christmas and now he is a passenger.

Watched the Nigeria v Ghana WC qualifier yesterday as Aribo, Balogun and Bassey all started. The 1-1 draw saw Nigeria fail to qualify for Qatar

Fair too say Aribo had a stinker, cintributed almost nothing in the game, seemed content to trot about in the middle without doing much as the game passed him by. By all accounts the Nigerian sports journalusts have the knives out for him (and a few others).

Aribo's form for Rangers has dipped alarmingly since returning from the African Nations Cup in January. With every passing game he looks more and more knackered, contributing very little. With the massive importance of a win on Sunday we cannot afford a passenger therefore is Aribo's current form deserving of a starting shirt.
His current form will only be important if we don’t win on Sunday.

He needs a rest he's dead on his feet due to playing too much football this season. Before the AFCON he was excellent but am guessing due to Ramseys fitness issues since he's came her Gio has used Aribo more than maybe he's intended on doing so.

Well I didn't start this thread because I want Aribo to be the whipping boy, I am genuinely worried about both his lack of form and effort.

Aribo on form is a great talent but he has looked tired for the past month or so his influence on games is become less and less. We simply cannot afford any passengers on Sunday, or in any of our remaining games this season if we are to be successful.

Hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t trust him on Sunday. Hasn’t done enough for months and never turns up v them.

Lack of effort? He looks absolutely shattered & it’s showing in his performances.

Agreed. And that is the reason for this thread. I am in no way trying to imply Aribo is purposefully not trying, he is simply showing the signs of playing too much football and badly needs a rest.

Lack of effort? He looks absolutely shattered & it’s showing in his performances.
Aribo needs rested. We need a high tempo on Sunday and can't afford to risk a player not at the top of his game. Aribo suits a game where we dominate, not one where it will be a fight and scramble to dominate.

I think he'll start but I agree he's been poor since AFCON. First half of the season he was unplayable.

I can see us going with Jack/Kamara/Lundstram/Aribo in midfield, with Kent wide left and hopefully Morelos up front.

The last game they overrun us in midfield, we won't let that happen again. Aribo needs to be ready as when he's at his best he's sensational.

Everyone including myself was delighted about him exiting the AFCON early but a defeat like that might have damaged Aribo's confidence. He's not been near the same level since.

POTY for the first half of the season , then his form fell of a cliff. We cannot afford any passengers this weekend.

Our options for the 3 behind Morelos are....

Aribo Ramsey Kent
Ramsey Kamara Kent
Aribo Kamara Kent
Arfield Ramsey Kent
Arfield Kamara Kent
Arfield Aribo Kent

All of those options can dominate the midfield against them and that's what will win the game.

I guess the final decision will depend on how Aribo, Ramsey and Kamara are, after their international exertions.

Our options for the 3 behind Morelos are....

Aribo Ramsey Kent
Ramsey Kamara Kent
Aribo Kamara Kent
Arfield Ramsey Kent
Arfield Kamara Kent
Arfield Aribo Kent

All of those options can dominate the midfield against them and that's what will win the game.

I guess the final decision will depend on how Aribo, Ramsey and Kamara are, after their international exertions.
I’d go for a flat 3 in midfield.

Then Aribo/Ramsey on the right, which I think would be Aribo

He’ll start, rightfully so.

He hasn’t been great since AFCON, in my opinion he’s absolutely knackered after playing an awful lot of football.

However, his ability to keep the ball and his size mean that he’s useful from set pieces, that’s before you discuss his creative ability.

He’ll start on the right, I reckon.
I would play either Ramsey or Arfield on Sunday keeping him fresh for Thursday.

If he is knackered then a week off could be the difference between us getting a result in Braga where as he comes back knackered and does nothing on Sunday

He’s certainly due a performance and Sunday May well be the time. He was outstanding earlier in the season so hope he can replicate a bit of this.

One of our most talented players, miles away from any kind of decent form. I'm not sure Sunday is a game for passengers that are trying to play their way through poor form.

But he's so capable of a game-changing moment, and he's one of our biggest assets at set-pieces. It's a really tough one.

I think the midfield should be Jack and Lundstram, with a three of Roofe, Ramsey and Kent behind Morelos. But, I can totally see a midfield three with Kamara added in there, and Aribo in the front three.

He's went from (IMO) the SPFL player of the year up until Winter break, to a guy who is genuinely lucky to be starting games and only is so because we don't have anyone to push him out the side.

Back