Is De Bruyne the best midfielder the EPL has ever had?

Who has been the best for you?

• De Bruyne

Votes: 134 28.5%
  • Lampard

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • Scholes

Votes: 51 10.8%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 202 42.9%
  • Vieira

Votes: 25 5.3%
  • Keane

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • Silva

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Toure

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Other? (please name)

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters
Fantastic player - his vision is ridiculous he see's things 2/3/4 steps ahead of other top level professionals.

City are like a different team when he is fit and pulling the strings.

Not in “the dross” that you claimed he was stat packing against though?

You should probably just stop. :))
Utd are dross.

I've obviously exaggerated it to make a point.

Two CL finals for example, done nothing.

Gerrard dragged a shite Liverpool team through one against one of the greatest ever teams.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WLF
Definetily in the top bracket but also surrounded by top quality players. Gerrard carried a pretty poor (in comparison) Liverpool team to the CL & has a cup final game named after him. Player of the highest quality but don't think the best there's ever been.

He has been took off injured in the first half of the both of them ffs. You are having a fucking nightmare here mate. :))
Nope.

He played an hour in the first final. That isn't long enough?

An hour Vs Chelsea
36 minutes Vs Inter

More than long enough to have an impact on a game.

His passing and vision is astonishing at times, my brain can’t comprehend it.

However, if you put him in midfield in a one on one battle for 90 minutes against a peak Gerrard or even a peak Patrick Vieira, I honestly think he gets a bit overrun.

Gerrard for me. KVB is a fantastic player but doesn’t show enough leadership. He disappears in games too often for me.

Viera a very different type of player, but absolutely superb. I'd go for him as no.1.

Gerrard also for the reasons already stated - what he managed in a poor Liverpool team was remarkable.

No disgrace for KDB to be mentioned in the same conversation as those two.

He is a tremendous player. If you listen to most ex pros who played with or against the others though most seem to say Gerrard is the best. He could do everything on the pitch. Run all day, tackle, long range passing, big game player, and probably the best striker of a ball you’ll see. All round it’s Gerrard with De Bruyne the best of the current bunch.

T
So it’s just a misunderstanding then .
That's not what I said is it.

Conversations with mates or seeing comments to social media posts relating to city and its polluted with comments about the charges or the fact we're owned by billionaires. So yes, I believe those factors cloud peoples judgement of the football itself. It doesn't go for EVERY football fan out there but a good proportion of them.

Its less of a misunderstanding and more of a refusal to appreciate the football for what it is.

IMO he's the best City have had.
Gerrard was as complete a midfielder as you could hope for.
Scholes the most talented.
Lampard for the goals.
Keane was a warrior.
Vieira a little bit of all of the above.

T
That's not what I said is it.

Conversations with mates or seeing comments to social media posts relating to city and its polluted with comments about the charges or the fact we're owned by billionaires. So yes, I believe those factors cloud peoples judgement of the football itself. It doesn't go for EVERY football fan out there but a good proportion of them.

Its less of a misunderstanding and more of a refusal to appreciate the football for what it is.
You say clouding people judgement I’m quite clear I can’t stand Man City and their dominance of English football,I know Clubs before had bigger budgets but at least they earned them through years of hard work that can’t be said for Man City and others,by the way I loved the old Man City it’s a Club I don’t recognise now.

I'd agree with your assessment. Gerrard had it all. The ugly side too. Never see that nasty streak with de Bruyne. Gerrard had it in spades.
KDB most certainly has that nasty streak. I’ve seen him leave the boot. Anytime opponents have tried to make it physical he’s been more than up for the battle. It’s maybe the one thing Foden can learn from him.

He plays in angles others can’t see. I would say he is the best of his generation, but not of all time. Gerrard is the obvious one, alongside Frank as two of the very best in the EPL. Modric has had a top career, but I don’t think he was at that level at Spurs.

Not because he managed us but Stevie G is the best considering what he won and the team he won it in would those players been so influential and good in that Liverpool team scholes already said he didn’t think he could

Loads of people say this. I don’t know how anyone who enjoys football can find City boring to watch. There hasn’t been many sides as enjoyable to watch as a neutral imo.
It was like pep at Barcelona they passed you to death that’s why preferred Real Madrid at that Barcelona team and Liverpool to Man City as they played at a faster pace which I prefer

I would say Keane but he's a different kind of player altogether.
De Bruyne is the best at his job

Not because he managed us but Stevie G is the best considering what he won and the team he won it in would those players been so influential and good in that Liverpool team scholes already said he didn’t think he could
The team he won in Istanbul with, on paper, is ridiculous.

Steven Finnan, Djimi Traore, Vladimir Smicer.

Fvck, even Harry Kewell started the game and was subbed after half an hour!

As far as individual performances and achievements go, it goes down as Gerrards greatest achievement (as a player because we all know what it was as a manager)

I was just thinking of him. Silky footballer with a super sharp brain. He raised City’s level before Kev was even scouted.
His pass for Dzeko for City’s sixth against United in the 6-1 game is incredible.

Takes a pass on to his chest on the half turn and a first time volley through the middle of Vidic and Ferdinand.

If Gerrard played in better teams I don't think there would be a debate
If Gerrard played in better teams he'd have had to have stayed in position and done less of the captain fantastic stuff. Loved what he did for us, but still very overrated as a player for me because he was a throw back to the box to box type that previously dominated British football while it was being split into basically three separate roles at the highest level. He was very good at the holding midfield role, the play making midfield role and the attacking one as an all rounder which is why I can see why some people revere him as much as they do, but I think Hargreaves was better at sitting, Scholes at play making and Lampard as the attacking midfielder. Gerrard and Lampard trying to play box to box while other top sides had figured out you get more joy from separate roles sums up the Golden Generation failing for me.

Last edited:
Agree tbf if I wasn't tainted by bias I would probably agree Gerrard stands out. He did absolutely have the lot as a player.
It’s funny because Stevie G wasn’t even deemed to be as good as Lampard or Scholes until he came here, suddenly he went from 3rd to 1st place. KDB is better than them all though.

Back