is Diomande the answer

We had what is now the “Serie A midfielder of the year” right under our nose and we deemed him not good enough, instead we now trawl Europe taking punts on various lower level players. It’s all just a bit strange

Not many were bemoaning not going for Lewis Ferguson. Is it not fair to so that moving to Italy is what's made him.

Can’t really judge any of the new players. Every week it’s a new pairing Newley all over the park. Big Sterling must have to spend all day on the training pitch to go through all the positions he might play and who he might be up against.
Until we have a settled fit team with Diomande, Cortes and so on can we judge the players and probably Clement also which I’d say is fair. Most of the players in the team have been playing the same formation/ style for years now it must be hard to get them to change which I guess might be why they revert to the same shite after a few games like I think we have seen, might be wrong there but I think there might be something in it. When you see Clements face when Goldson shells a long diagonal right out the park or the midfield pass back instead of forward it’s like thunder.

A steal? O’Reily and Hatate cost a fraction of that and Diomande wouldn’t get near their midfield.

Yeah, I think Diomande's a player but £4.5M is not a steal. A signing of that value has to be, or quickly become, a dominant player for us, being a catalyst for winning games more often than not.

It's also not a steal because of the background. Annoyingly, as at summer 2023 his contract at Nordsjaelland was up in summer 2024. Had we been on the ball, we'd have got a deal done then whether an outright buy or loan with obligation which would've been cheaper because he was entering last 12 months of his contract. Instead, he signed a new deal and we then have had to pay a premium. As a club, there's little sign that we plan multiple transfer windows in advance.

In response to OP, imo Diomande is one of the answers. Unfortunately, he's an answer that only works if he has 1 - 2 additions in centre midfield better than we already have, and likewise at centre back and across the front three.

Done OK so far. Am sure he was bought to play further forward but midfield has been struggling and we've shoehorned Lawrence and Cantwell into the position Diomande was prob bought to play. Have seen him get annoyed several times with Lundstram for playing the safe, backward pass instead of getting the ball forward so that shows promise.

Know its not the done thing on here but I'll give him some time to settle at a new club and see how he goes after a full preseason.

He’s not helped by the fact he was in a midfield with fucking Lundstram and Lawrence. Two of the slowest players about with no drive or dig. I’m not sure what Dio was supposed to do?

You could put De Bruyne in there with those two and he’d have looked bang average.

Really hard to judge him considering the team he’s playing in. He has looked very good in spells and scored some good goals at the start.

£4.5 million is a significant fee though so hopefully he’ll kick on massively with a new midfield in the summer.

Who is the control the tempo, thread the forward pass mid amongst those three? Running and pressing are essential but so is a football brain. Not to derail the thread totally but Raskin has no positional sense and that is why PC has him as a last resort pick even with others clearly plodding.
There been noone doing that job for a while so why not? Diomande has been complaining to Lundstram in several games that Lundstram is slowing things down and not threading forward passes. Only tempo Lundstram has been dictating is a slow, ponderous, shite one

I'm not seeing what others seem to with this lad, he'll be 23 in october hes not a young boy for 4.5 million we need better i'd say

Too early to tell.
But I've noticed the frustration on his face In games recently with the dross he's got around him and the job he is being asked to do.

Not sure if he's decent or not. Deserves a chance as others have said alongside more energetic midfielders.

It is still early days, but it looks like he has potential. We won't really know how good he is until he has two new competent midfielders to play along side him. The £5m we will be spending on him is a lot of money for a Scottish Premiership team, so he better be worth it.

The bheasts completely outplayed us in midfield and their midfield cost £3m in total to assemble, £1.5m for O'Riley, £1.5 for Hatate and nothing for McGregor. Diomande alone will cost more than the three bheast midfielders combined.

It's not about how much money you spend, it is about how wisely you spend it. There are good players out there that wouldn't cost much money, but you need good scouting staff to be able to find them.

Really not convinced. seems to make too many mistakes. Penalty was a bit dubious, but I didn't see a player on the same level as the Celtics midfield 3
Yes he is. Just needs a couple of decent midfielders to play with.

I'm not seeing what others seem to with this lad, he'll be 23 in october hes not a young boy for 4.5 million we need better i'd say

I can’t believe folk are blaming others round about him. Here is a novel idea, he is dragging our midfield down, his passing stats the worst of any of our midfielders.

Aye fling him in the Real Madrid team and he’ll be the next coming of Modric

He was all over the place yesterday giving away needless fouls because he kept getting caught wrong side, his positional sense isn’t very good.

Put him next to two athletic and strong players and he will look the part. The least of our worries

I can’t believe folk are blaming others round about him. Here is a novel idea, he is dragging our midfield down, his passing stats the worst of any of our midfielders.

Aye fling him in the Real Madrid team and he’ll be the next coming of Modric

He was all over the place yesterday giving away needless fouls because he kept getting caught wrong side, his positional sense isn’t very good.

Your man has had statistically the worst performance of anyone in the entire league this season and you’re on here having a go at Dio.

He’s scored more goals than lundstram in half a season, clearly passes the ball forward which is why his passing statistics aren’t as good.

He’ll be a great player next season when he has a competent midfielder next to him.

Your man has had statistically the worst performance of anyone in the entire league this season and you’re on here having a go at Dio.

He’s scored more goals than lundstram in half a season, clearly passes the ball forward which is why his passing statistics aren’t as good.

He’ll be a great player next season when he has a competent midfielder next to him.

Whataboutery.

Anyone scoring an OG and getting sent off is going to have terrible ratings

Not a site I’m aware of but what are the weekly ratings for both players, put some context to it.

Every game Diomande is standing in space in the midfield shouting for the ball. He can take it under pressure & make good passes.

However given the limitations of the players around him (Lundstram in particular), the ball doesn't get played to him & either goes back or sideways between CBs & out wide.

He's a good player - but, not when he doesn't have the ball.

He needs the right "legs" around him.

A Raskin or a Sterling rather than a Lundstram.

Need Lundstram gone and need the No 10 position binned for a flat midfield 3 before passing full judgement on an initially talented looking young guy

Can’t wait to see the back of him. But we’ll have to watch him one last time and he’ll not doubt cost us, again.

Being honest if the fee is accurate I was hoping for better although there's been times I've thought he looks good so hopefully kicks on with better around him

It wasn’t a penalty. The Dhim hooked his foot around Dio’s leg IMHO.

Either way, I think Diomande shows some promise but wasn’t particularly good today. I think his positional awareness and tactical discipline needs a fair bit of work if he’s to be the success we want him to be.
Agree, I think half the problem is that when you don’t have a mobile and fit midfield you need at least 4 in there. It seems every time a midfielder receives a pass there is rarely a little 5 yd option to play a 1/2 off someone, it’s like they have to beat 2 to go forward or go back the way.

I’m willing him to do well but I just don’t see it. Decidedly average imo.

All things considered, I’m concerned it appears we are obliged to pay £4.5m for him. Not ideal.

People need some perspective and some reminder of reality.
The idiots saying he should "dominate the game", he's a young kid with potential. If he was the finished article with the ability to dominate a game, he wouldn't be with us. And not for 4.5M. He'd be 75M.

Was Frimpong as good as he is now when they signed him? Was Van Dijk?
Not even close.
The posts on this forum as if they expect a Gascoigne today for the price we paid in the 90s, give yourself a shake. It's not happening, for any club.
Diomande is the last person we need to worry about.

Really not convinced. seems to make too many mistakes. Penalty was a bit dubious, but I didn't see a player on the same level as the Celtics midfield 3

"Is Diomande the answer"
Depends what the question is.
If the question was.
"Who started off in midfield for Rangers yesterday, along side Lawrence, and Lundstrum?
Then the answer is Diomande.

Seriously. He has some nice touches, and a good shot, but has now failed to show anything of note against their midfield.In two games.Although it's still, early.
Also not sure I want him defending in our box, as he is prone to making some rash challenges.
Very young, but still not sure his physique is going to help him in this league either.
More a European style player with a good engine.

4 million?
Jury is still out for me.

Back