Is goldson spriralling down or just knackered?

A bit of both. He averages around 53/54 games a season since 2018. It’s mad.

He’s lost a yard, definitely, but frankly Balogun and Souttar get away with stuff he’d be pilloried for.

We are a weird support.

Souttar and Balogun get away with stuff? Can't agree with you here. As a support I think we're generally fairly consistent mate. We slaughter all our players equally.

He’s lost a yard, definitely, but frankly Balogun and Souttar get away with stuff he’d be pilloried for.

We are a weird support.

Balogun in particular is seemingly immune to the "remember this" treatment. He's had a number of howling moments and games yet they never get cast up anywhere near as often as other players do.

On the OP - we may never have an answer, because he could be just hitting a bit of poor form, or some personal stuff is affecting him somewhat. The symptoms all look the same, more often than not.

We won't know until next season if it's some sort of early decline. I believe it's not, but that is just a belief in the absence of solid evidence just now.

Balogun in particular is seemingly immune to the "remember this" treatment. He's had a number of howling moments and games yet they never get cast up anywhere near as often as other players do.

On the OP - we may never have an answer, because he could be just hitting a bit of poor form, or some personal stuff is affecting him somewhat. The symptoms all look the same, more often than not.

We won't know until next season if it's some sort of early decline. I believe it's not, but that is just a belief in the absence of solid evidence just now.
If Goldson is still in the squad next season, I'd suggest the manager gets a go-bag and tries to book a removal company for the October internationals in advance.

He's fucking done.

If the manager wants to hand him extra rope, he shouldn't be surprised if Goldson hangs him with it

Time is catching up on him. Good player for us but this happens to everyone. The club should have been preparing for this last summer and getting somebody in place ready to step in as Goldson declines, because an amateur like me saw this coming.

He should start, he's still our best defender.
No way we lose that goal today with him on

Ballogan has a track record of coming in, playing well then dropping off.

For me, Soutar makes the most mistakes but is also the best at coming out from the back

Basically need 2 new centre Half's in the summer
A high ball into the box!! Same result if Goldson had been playing.

Goldson has played 60 games a season give or take. Not surprised if he's burnt out, as we relentlessly play both him and Tav even in the early cup rounds when it's an opportunity to give them at least a day off - never understood that.

That said, his recent form has been stinking and it had got to the point where he seemed undroppable, so this time on the bench will do him good.

He’s been a really good signing but in hindsight, the resigning of the deal hasn’t worked as well as it should have. I think fatigue and niggles have hindered him to an extent but the overplaying of him is now 3 managers in and while each of the managers know he brings something to the team, he’s needed rotated for his own good. He’s been overstretched imo and it’s to his detriment.

I do sometimes get angry at him (sometimes it is maybe not justified). But I still think he is prob our most reliable and consistent centre back, and often makes an interception or block at just the right time to stop a goal.

Similar to lundstram and tav. They don’t miss games and haven’t since they signed.

They all came onto a game when clement came in but now are pretty poor (to say the least)

Are the games catching up with them or are the just in need of a really good break?
Goldson’s ‘not missing games’ is on a whole different level to Lundstram’s.

Plays more in one season than some of our signings manage over 2 or 3 seasons.

It's weird that some of our support have such hatred towards our own players.

Ryan Jack barely plays yet you see very little negative said about him.

Some muppets would still tell you Ryan Jack is our best midfielder despite doing nothing in a Rangers jersey for about 3 seasons.

Yet they'll roundly slaughter players like Tav or Goldson who actually do contribute.

Held to a much higher standard than others. Souttar has far more brain farts and goal costing errors in him but gets off very very lightly in comparison..

I like Souttar, but all season he has been responsible for giving away bad mistakes which lead to cheap goals.

Barely a peep from our fans.

Some muppets would still tell you Ryan Jack is our best midfielder despite doing nothing in a Rangers jersey for about 3 seasons.

Yet they'll roundly slaughter players like Tav or Goldson who actually do contribute.
Ryan Jack, like John Souttar is Scottish, so gets an incredible amount of leeway due to that I think despite offerong far less.

There's certain factions in our support, who likely also follow the "anyone but England" thought path that sees them give Scottish players far far more support than their superior in these cases English counterparts.

It's alright when they're playing out of their skin, but if their levels drop, even close to their Scottish counterparts they'll be slaughtered.

Goldson is still, even now vastly superior to Souttar, but gets slated.

Ryan Jack, like John Souttar is Scottish, so gets an incredible amount of leeway due to that I think despite offerong far less.

There's certain factions in our support, who likely also follow the "anyone but England" thought path that sees them give Scottish players far far more support than their superior in these cases English counterparts.

It's alright when they're playing out of their skin, but if their levels drop, even close to their Scottish counterparts they'll be slaughtered.

Goldson is still, even now vastly superior to Souttar, but gets slated.
Goldson and Davies need replaced with two starters, souttar and Balogun if he stays become the squad options.

Souttar has been better than Goldson especially since clement came in, Plus clement went mental at Goldson in the old firm took him off then as soon as Balogun wasn’t sick he dropped Goldson, Something has defo happened behind the scenes

We are seeing a combination of natural regression given his age and exhaustion at playing every game despite no pre-season.

His performances have been poor recently and through the course of this season however I think all of our centre backs have mistakes in them. We see it pretty much every game now from them.

What I will say about Goldson and it’s something he and Tav don’t get credit for is come what may they have been available for selection. At a time when others clearly are not willing (or able) to put their bodies on the line for the club they are. Both look knackered at the moment but are still there for the manager to select.

i think Goldson will come back in on Sunday and Clement will manage his and Baloguns minutes between now and the end of the season

We are a weird support.

Yep that is very true.

I think he has had a stinker because he rushed back his injury and this impacted his pre-season.

I expect him to have a much better season next season whether that is here or elsewhere.

His chatting to social media platforms makes me think he will be away. By his own admission he doesn't like doing them so why has he started now?

Similar to lundstram and tav. They don’t miss games and haven’t since they signed.

They all came onto a game when clement came in but now are pretty poor (to say the least)

Are the games catching up with them or are the just in need of a really good break?
I think they have stayed too long
Unless your winning regular trophies then everyone should not be a stick on to start fir us

This where we have went wrong since the winter break

We don't have the defenders for enough to pace this way properly which is why Lundstram drops so deep. Then once the fb invert the opposition go diagonal or play through midfield with ease.

I get what clement wants to do but he does need be a bit pragmatic as well.

Our injuries are wild so don't have the wingers and striker that can link rotate the play on the wings so we have nullified tav as a threat

The midfield doesn't have legs to cope against 3/4 in it when the strikers are static up front.

We have got it b wrong since the winter break

With injuries v and form we would be better going 352 or 343
He's never played a out and out 352

We shouldn't be either to make up in deficiencys in tavs defending.

No player tav Goldson or lundstrum are anywhere near players in the past and we have moved on it's about time fans learn to let go on mediocrity and the board need to take a hard line to not reward players that turn up for half a season or sign older players with no sell on huge contracts we will not be able to shift

The contract souttar got for instance was baffling,Scott wright were stuck with for another season. Its not just the dof or manager the board should be held account as well imo

For £3.5m CG has been a great signing. Barely misses a game and is, on the whole, highly dependable.

He had zero pre season this year and went straight from injury into the Champions League fixtures. It was bound to catch up at some point and it has now. In the last few games he has played, he has looked severely ‘leggy’ and that is being kind.

PC did the right thing in taking him out of the team although I still feel that he sees him as his number one centre back going forwards into next season.

I am not sure who people see us signing who would be a significant upgrade on CG given our budget but I’d like to see some suggestions, as I don’t think some realise how much we would have to spend to upgrade significantly on him.

Let’s hope that this little rest has done him good and we see him back to his best for the remainder of the season.

For £3.5m CG has been a great signing. Barely misses a game and is, on the whole, highly dependable.

He had zero pre season this year and went straight from injury into the Champions League fixtures. It was bound to catch up at some point and it has now. In the last few games he has played, he has looked severely ‘leggy’ and that is being kind.

PC did the right thing in taking him out of the team although I still feel that he sees him as his number one centre back going forwards into next season.

I am not sure who people see us signing who would be a significant upgrade on CG given our budget but I’d like to see some suggestions, as I don’t think some realise how much we would have to spend to upgrade significantly on him.

Let’s hope that this little rest has done him good and we see him back to his best for the remainder of the season.
We tried to sign deoki sp
On a bosman
I know transfer market isn't too reliable but 17m he's rated it on there

We paid 4m for a player on Davies that we should have gotten better value for money,all because Liverpool signed him never played him once
A decent scouting team we require I think with the guy in charge now we won't be overpaying to keep players and not signing injury prone players that showed a glimpse of being great 6 years ago

Tiredness might be a factor, it's hard to know. Balogun has only been in for him 2 games though and already had a howler that lost us a goal. Imagine the reaction if that was Goldson?

He's never played a out and out 352

We shouldn't be either to make up in deficiencys in tavs defending.

No player tav Goldson or lundstrum are anywhere near players in the past and we have moved on it's about time fans learn to let go on mediocrity and the board need to take a hard line to not reward players that turn up for half a season or sign older players with no sell on huge contracts we will not be able to shift

The contract souttar got for instance was baffling,Scott wright were stuck with for another season. Its not just the dof or manager the board should be held account as well imo
I'm. Not talking about just one player

The players we have the reason they are here is because they have flaws otherwise they wouldn't be here.

To build team you need players to cover one another for their flaws.

I get why Gerrard did it as we had a big gap to jump to catch up. But also why we had players that had to be managed through playing time with previous injuries

But our recruitment has been horrendous since then we hadn't signed players with quality that can step up.

He might never have played it before but as a manager we are playing a system that doesn't suit the players we have at disposal at the moment for last 5/6 games with the injuries we have and players we can play.

That's managers job to make sure he keeps things flowing when things go wrong at moment we are doing same thing

Losing chances in the first minute, being overrun in midfield and strikers general playing hide and seek.

The formation doesn't suit the players he has at his disposal so change it to play to the players strengths.

Since winter break We have been giving up chances constantly before we weren't.

Injuries have killed us up front, burnt out our midfield to extent defence is now getting ripped apart

Even at weekends without butland that could have been 2/3 behind before we scored second

Some fans convinced themselves he would play into his late 30s and simply refuse to countenance any evidence of a decline.

It's weird that some of our support have such hatred towards our own players.
Celtic if they win the League are going for 55 next season. They have more trebles now. They will match us on overall trophies if they win the double this season.

That’s why the support are sick of the core. Not to mention the recent record in OF games has pushed general opinion over the edge.

I was really surprised he wasn't in the starting lineup v St Mirren

I assumed he'd be dropped for 1 game then straight back in

Celtic if they win the League are going for 55 next season. They have more trebles now. They will match us on overall trophies if they win the double this season.

That’s why the support are sick of the core. Not to mention the recent record in OF games has pushed general opinion over the edge.
Which is pretty much it

It's what they intended when they pushed for us to go down the divisions it takes time to recover.

What id say is that we have made some horrendous decisions in regards to recruitment particularly after 55

We needed one more year of quality signings to then rotate the older players and injury prone of the books and players coming to end of contracts.

Even after seville we had chance to add 2/3 younger players of proper quality and the board put the money into neh yes longer term it will make money but timing was wrong.

Veerman is an example the 4 games for psv against us he plays against us like he has point to prove or hate us gives impression that transfer was us who pulled it.... he would have been a good signing. We got bacuna instead.

Gio wanted doeki/simons which would have replaced goldson longer term. And allowed us to move Kent on that summer we got matondo while psv made easyy 6 mill from psg and doeki is worth 15 mill now.

We gavee Beale 12- 17 mill but brought in pretty much the same one you add in the wages we saved with players who left .....we downsized in the summer.

The board have made some horrendous decisions and Wilson not much better

Last edited:
Tiredness, both mental and physical, leads to mistakes being made. Mistakes being made leads to a drop in confidence. Drop in confidence leads to constantly looking for the easy option. Constantly looking for the easy option makes you predictable. Being predictable leads to even the easy option not being successful. Which destroys whatever confidence a player has left.

Goldson missed all of pre-season as he was injured.

I feel that has had a detrimental effect on his level of consistency.

I always think that Goldson has one bad mistake in him in every game. The biggest issue is we've not given him enough rest and generally run him into the ground each season. He needs to be mentally fresh, as well as physically fresh. If we can get passed Killie at the weekend, then I'd bring him back for the game against the Shettlestons. He needs a decent back up that will afford him some rest though, as next season will be long, given the European changes.

POTY in the title winning season. But like far too many Gerrard-era players, we've held on to him for too long. People are just sick of the sight of him, Tav, Lundstram, Borna etc because they're associated with far too much failure now (looks that way yet again after having it in our own hands). We need to freshen it up.

Id say a bit of both tbh.
The amount of games him & Tav have played is astonishing.
Also he just isnt that good especial against the team that matters.
Take the hand off the Saudis.

I do still believe we need to move on from all of the core of Gerrard's team, but I am softening on my criticism on Goldson somewhat.

Honestly think the 50-60 match seasons are a big factor.

Another factor, as others have already mentioned, that I've probably not considered enough myself is the fact that we haven't recruited well in his position, where in the last two seasons he has played of fit because the other options were injured or in poor form.

We've had more bad domestic campaigns than good in his 6 years of we are being honest as well, it's worth considering how much of a mental impact that has on the longer serving players like Goldson.

So I've not changed my opinion, I'd like us to move on Goldson, Lundstram and possibly Tav, but for all the manager isn't going to flog them while the season isn't over, it really sounds like Tav & CG are staying

Think he thinks he is better than he actually is. And he got dropped after dundee game for constantly trying 60 yard passes n turning possession over. That said he probably still our best defender

Back