Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

Nah. There's enough tits on coke or that can't behave sober or with what they've drank prior to the game.

I think there should be somewhere in the stadium you can maybe get a beer before or after the game but bar is shut during the game, and no alcohol to be taken to your seat.

Nah. There's enough tits on coke or that can't behave sober or with what they've drank prior to the game.

I think there should be somewhere in the stadium you can maybe get a beer before or after the game but bar is shut during the game.
That's the idea of spending the money on NEH and BSL

That's the idea of spending the money on NEH and BSL
I get that, and for it, but I mean accessible to everyone from their seat, rather than potentially having to walk halfway round the stadium.

So maybe have a bar next to the food areas that s
Is open before and after the game.

Just a thought.

I personally wouldn’t partake but I have no objections,If it’s handled and policed properly it could be a success.

Do what england do. Only allowed in the concourses.

Folk would go and spend their money in their stand at Ibrox rather than the Louden which would be a bonus - keep the money in house rather than pubs unconnected to the club.
You really have a problem with The Louden, don't you
A family that has invested heavily to increase how good the matchday experience is for our customers.
I have for years hoped they would open NEH as I believe we will get a dramatic increase in our turnover
We have quite a unique position in regard to the Stadium and I have no worries about Ranger's opening premises, I think it will be better for the fans.
Is it just The Louden or is it every pub along PRW or what about the City centre, should you not tell fans to jump on the Subway and got to Ibrox?
Or a are you just a small-minded person with that good old Scottish trait, jealousy?

I get that, and for it, but I mean accessible to everyone from their seat, rather than potentially having to walk halfway round the stadium.

So maybe have a bar next to the food areas that s
Is open before and after the game.

Just a thought.
GCC Licensing Department is the problem

I don't really see the attraction of standing in the Main Stand concourse drinking a plastic bottle of Tennents.
It worked ok at the Commonwealth Games as you could drink at your seat and the event lasted for about 5 hours so everyone wasn't queuing at the same time.

I think there should be somewhere in the stadium you can maybe get a beer before or after the game but bar is shut during the game, and no alcohol to be taken to your seat.
what you have described is exactly how it would work, no alcohol sold during the match and totally confined to the concourses

I'm in the NO camp,if you can't go 90/120+ minutes without a drink then you want to chuck it and don't get me wrong I love a good swally.
You’re right, let’s get rid of the food kiosks and toilets too because surely people can go 90 mins without a piss or scran.

It’s about giving people the option. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to enjoy a beer with my mates half an hour before kick off at the game after a hard weeks work?

We can't be trusted in Scotland. The violent arsehole thugs ruin it for the normal people and always will. Then there's the drug use on top of that which would leave it as a recipe for disaster.
Have you ever been to a game in England? I’ve been to both Manchester stadiums, Derby, Blackpool, Newcastle, Liverpool and Spurs. All of these areas have their own social issues, but amazingly, they manage to have a beer at the football without turning into caged animals.

Scotland is in the dark ages for match day experience. Rangers are in the forefront of improvement fan Village etc I would include the Loudon as well its an asset to Rangers supporters .

They could have dry stands and wet stands. Those that don’t want it can get a seat in a dry stand and the rest of us could have a drink and a laugh at the football after a hard week at work.

It shouldn’t be brought back. If you cannot go 90/120 mins without a drink of alcohol then there’s something wrong. Plus, there are too many arseholes already at games without the blight of alcohol.
It's not the game time of 90/120 minutes though.

The point is for people to get into the stadium earlier and have a beer before the game.

Those that want to get plastered won't be going into the stadium at 1pm for a 3pm kick off and sinking 8 pints. They'll still have their drinks on buses, street corners or pubs.

When we had drinking before, there was terracing. How many times would be we be standing up and down to let olk go to for a pish. Might as well stand the whole game.

Had a pint at Goodison Park a couple of years ago. Couldn't see the point. Drink in the pub before the game and leave it for 90 minutes. Would be more trouble than it's worth

When we had drinking before, there was terracing. How many times would be we be standing up and down to let olk go to for a pish. Might as well stand the whole game.

Had a pint at Goodison Park a couple of years ago. Couldn't see the point. Drink in the pub before the game and leave it for 90 minutes. Would be more trouble than it's worth
When you ‘had’ drinking before, people were standing tanning their cargo the entire match.

All the people moaning about "can't last 120 mins without a drink etc" are missing the point.

What about adults that want a couple of beers at the game then travel home directly after it? We aren't all out on all day shots to get wrecked. It would be like England with bars open before the game until KO, 40 mins till the end of half time and that's it.

The club would make a fortune off it too.

I can get a drink at pretty much everything else I go to entertainment wise in Scotland but not the football, its actually pathetic.

All the people moaning about "can't last 120 mins without a drink etc" are missing the point.

What about adults that want a couple of beers at the game then travel home directly after it? We aren't all out on all day shots to get wrecked. It would be like England with bars open before the game until KO, 40 mins till the end of half time and that's it.

The club would make a fortune off it too.

I can get a drink at pretty much everything else I go to entertainment wise in Scotland but not the football, its actually pathetic.
I keep asking this question and have yet to get a sensible answer, how much would the Club make, as in profit, not turnover

I’m neither up nor down about it and can see both sides of the argument,

personally I probably wouldn’t bother with buying alcohol in the ground due to the folk I go to games with all being in different stands with our season ticket seats . Would always prefer a pub as we can have a beer together there.

I Don’t really fancy standing in the concourse on my own with a beer but i appreciate others might be fine with that.

Dunno how worthwhile it would be for the club as alcohol isn’t exactly hard to get on match days either side of a game nearby . In stadium beer would more than likely be really expensive too.

I like a good drink before the game and after, but I’m not that bothered either way about it in the ground.

If you could get a pint on the concourse like in England it would probably have people arrive at the ground earlier which would be good, in the stand it would become a distraction.

More important I think we should be focused on drink on trains and buses. Why the %^*& not? Nanny state shite.

I keep asking this question and have yet to get a sensible answer, how much would the Club make, as in profit, not turnover

Not sure why clubs wouldn’t make profit. More paying punters in for longer, buying drink at good margin (and probably other food items too). Not like they’ve to pay any additional property related costs.

If you mean due to current hospitality contracts then that’s not a structural issue and one that doesn’t stop it being a positive to Rangers bottom line in the future.

We can't be trusted in Scotland. The violent arsehole thugs ruin it for the normal people and always will. Then there's the drug use on top of that which would leave it as a recipe for disaster.
You just know that full pint would be thrown at who ever they we’re facing

So exactly like what happens in England then?

Not sure why clubs wouldn’t make profit. More paying punters in for longer, buying drink at good margin (and probably other food items too). Not like they’ve to pay any additional property related costs.

If you mean due to current hospitality contracts then that’s not a structural issue and one that doesn’t stop it being a positive to Rangers bottom line in the future.
The structural issue is one of quite a few problems I can see, I doubt if our Electric supply would be able to take the extra load and that is a significant amount of money

It shouldn’t be brought back. If you cannot go 90/120 mins without a drink of alcohol then there’s something wrong. Plus, there are too many arseholes already at games without the blight of alcohol.
Why is this guff ''brought back'' continually spouted. Note alcohol was NEVER available in Scottish football grounds. Police and stewards merely had a lenient view on punters taking stuff in, indeed every so often they would have a purge and search at the turnstile and confiscate said drink.
The change in 1980 was that it became an offence to do so.

Where are these punters going to come from?
Not the hospitality suites are fans driving to the game and RSC would be too late to take advantage of this.
It is one of these nice ideas until you look at it closely

Last edited:
The structural issue is one of quite a few problems I can see, I doubt if our Electric supply would be able to take the extra load and that is a significant amount of money

I’m fairly sure if you were offered the opportunity to have a concession selling booze for 2 hours every other week, at a venue guaranteed to have 50,000 folk in it, without having to pay any rent, you’d find a way to make it make financial sense!

Why is this guff ''brought back'' continually spouted. Note alcohol was NEVER available in Scottish football grounds. Police and stewards merely had a lenient view on punters taking stuff in, indeed every so often they would have a purge and search at the turnstile and confiscate said drink.
The change in 1980 was that it became an offence to do so.
Alcohol has been allowed in Scottish Grounds for decades and still is

I’m fairly sure if you were offered the opportunity to have a concession selling booze for 2 hours every other week, at a venue guaranteed to have 50,000 folk in it, without having to pay any rent, you’d find a way to make it make financial sense!
Personally, I wouldn't be interested in one in the Ibrox concourses as there are too many problems attached to it, But NEH or the Sports Bar is a different matter. Rangers know my phone number :)) :)) :))
You would need something like 250 staff, a nightmare I wouldn't be interested in getting involved with

As a south of the border Bear I don’t get the ridiculous rules in Scotland. In England you go to the game and can have has as may pints as you like. Scotland is in a world of its own, unique in European football.

But sadly a minority of our fans don’t see going to the match as an opportunity to have a few beers with their mates and enjoy the game. More an opportunity to get totally blotto.

Sadly getting blotto should not occur af footy. If you can’t restrict to a sensible intake of alcohol then don’t turn up.

Until a minority of support don’t sort themselves out draconian rules will remain.

It's totally unnecessary to drink before and after games too, or at all!
Is it unnecessary to have a glass of wine with dinner, a beer at a concert, comedy show or play?

How about Rugby? Airports? Planes? Trains? Surely those aren’t all necessary.

I’m an adult in 21st century Scotland and there’s legislation that essentially states I can’t be trusted to drink a pint of low strength lager in a football stadium concourse without causing trouble. It’s pathetic.

Alcohol has been allowed in Scottish Grounds for decades and still is
Come off it Robert, you know the topic is introducing alcohol around the ground, not corporate lounges. The OP has the misleading header of bringing drink back into Scottish football when it was never freely available pre 1980.

Come off it Robert, you know the topic is introducing alcohol around the ground, not corporate lounges. The OP has the misleading header of bringing drink back into Scottish football when it was never freely available pre 1980.
His is misleading but so is your post

Back