Is it time to end the Saturday 3pm TV blackout?

People can see any game they want now, clubs would be better looking to try and harness that and get money out of it.

I always think it is mental that the evening games in the likes of Italy on BT have to start broadcast *in game* surely no one is staying home for a game that doesn't kick off till 1645.

There is a rumour going about, that you can see any game you want at 3 o'clock on a Saturday
If that's true, then you would think a blackout is pretty pointless

Remember they used to rally against any live football?

The arguments about harming attendances were the same ones made when live radio and then TV coverage were first mooted. The 3pm blackout will be one of those things that we look back on in decades and wonder how it lasted as long as it did

It’s an ancient ruling and the world has changed since it has been brought in.

People just circumvent the ruling and go through illegal means to watch games. Better turning it into a legitimate revenue stream.

Genuinely believe the big TV companies would pay a premium to have a Saturday 3pm slot in their coverage of whatever league.

The traditional time for football in the UK. Centre of the weekend, possibly the biggest potential audience and advertising would be all over it as a result.
Does it need to be about them? Clubs should be able have an option of their own fans, especially those who can't attend, supporting them this way. The technology is there, and it is probably now very difficult, especially after the lockdown, to justify why fans who can't attend games don't have the option of seeing Rangers, for instance, live. I'm against the idea of TV companies having a 3pm slot on a Saturday, but there's possibly a distinction between that and a club channel giving access to their fans, either week by week, or even by a season ticket.

Quite happy for it to stay to be honest. Otherwise every single game shown at 15:00 on a Saturday will be chargeable in the UK.

When NEH opens, having the games live on big screens could negate the leaving for the pub crowd. Pub season ticket. :D

Would be different if we all were sharing EPL riches, but as we’re not why should we stick to a rule that could inhibit the Scottish game.

If the EPL want us to maintain the TV blackout (they’re probably not bothered,) they should compensate us for it.

The SFA are complicit in that regard as the home nations historically all agreed on having the blackout in the UK.

Once crowds had gone back, the FA insisted on having the blackout reinstated but the SFA stayed out for an extra season as restrictions were still in place for Scotland. That's why we had to have a seperate website to show our Saturday 3pm games as viewers in England couldn't (legally) view at that time.

Could've kept out of it for good but typical Scottish football etc.

A decent solution would a SPL version of the NFL pass imo. How you split the money is worth debating, maybe select the team you support and they get their cut for that person.
Of course making RTV available to us in the U.K. for 3pm kick offs would be ideal.

Should be a tv season ticket. I don’t really watch much football unless we’re involved, so don’t pay for skysports but would be more inclined to if I could pay for just our games. Especially if I get it direct to my tv and not via my phone or tablet

Obviously a split would need to be agreed for both teams to get a slice of the income unless clubs we’re responsible for broadcasting and not sky.

It has to go. It’s an actual archaic ruling, devised during the (I think) 70s, totally and completely out of touch with modern times… so much so, especially in Scotland

Back