Is Klopp a better manager than Pep?

For me, he's won league titles now in two countries when up against 'better' opposition in terms of spending power etc. Won Vrs Bayern and now Vrs Man City. Pep has won when managing said power houses so for me, Klopp is the better manager, although they are both incredible and have very different styles. I guess its like Messi V Ronaldo, let's just enjoy both without falling into one camp or the other.

For me, he's won league titles now in two countries when up against 'better' opposition in terms of spending power etc. Won Vrs Bayern and now Vrs Man City. Pep has won when managing said power houses so for me, Klopp is the better manager, although they are both incredible and have very different styles. I guess its like Messi V Ronaldo, let's just enjoy both without falling into one camp or the other.
Yip same for me.

I believe there are strong similarities between them. But Klopp igets my vote in that he has a stronger empathy with the players which gets an extra 5% out of them.

pep is a brilliant manager but he was at Barca with a team that picked itself, same with Bayern and Man City has basically unlimited funds. Could fire Mourinho in that as he won league at Porto Chelsea Madrid and inter

Hard not to say Klopp just cause I love his crazy energy and passion, but from a football level I do personally prefer Liverpool's pressing and high energy attacking game over City's possession-obsessed approach.
For me it is not only style. Yes I would rather watch a klopp team but who would be the better East Fire manager? Very random but for me Who is the better manager with no money. Coaching abilities only.

Genuine question. Why?

For every possible reason.

He’s won more, in more countries and has an outstanding record against Klopp.

Pep’s success rate is phenomenal, genuinely phenomenal.

Klopp has won 3 league titles and 2/3 cups in his entire career. Pep has won 3 titles with multiple clubs and won more cups in a single season than Klopp has in his entire career.

A personal thing but I prefer Klopp, as his teams play with actual defenders.

In his final season at Dortmund they were bottom of the league in February and the general consensus was that he didn’t have a clue how to organise a defence.

Recency bias is very strong in this debate.

Interesting that guys who never post on this forum about Rangers suddenly start posting about Liverpool. Either Liverpool fans with a side affection for us or ones fir the watchin
I started posting about the managers. Grew up with Liverpool in the 80's like probably most of us.

Klopp has won 3 league titles and 2/3 cups in his entire career. Pep has won 3 titles with multiple clubs and won more cups in a single season than Klopp has in his entire career.
Do you not think though that klopp in same situation would have done same or better than Pep? Difficult to compare I suppose.

These threads are great for separating clued up football fans from the the rest. Usually there’s little acknowledgment of the fact Barca were 3rd place behind Villarreal when Guardiola took over, and City had finished 4th when he took up his position there, or that Klopp at one point had Dortmund right down around the relegation zone.

Two brilliant managers, but one revolutionised the game and had a side play the most attractive football the modern game has seen, so much so many a team spent subsequent years trying to emulate it.

I thought klopp was the only manager to have a better head to head record against Pep.

Could be wrong.

These threads are great for separating clued up football fans from the the rest. Usually there’s little acknowledgment of the fact Barca were 3rd place behind Villarreal when Guardiola took over, and City had finished 4th when he took up his position there, or that Klopp at one point had Dortmund right down around the relegation zone.

Two brilliant managers, but one revolutionised the game and had a side play the most attractive football the modern game has seen, so much so many a team spent subsequent years trying to emulate it.
Not going to dispute that but do you not think that teams now look to emulate klopp rather than Pep. Including our own manager.

Of course Klopp is.

Pep is a maniac and i can not stand him. Honestly.

Also Klopp has taken teams from midfield of the table who havent won the league for ages to big success. He didnt start this at Dortmund - he already did this with Mainz.

Pep on the other hand took over already great teams and then...spent even more money. Everyone remembers some Liverpool games under Klopp in Europe. What did Pep do with Man City in the Champions League? Nothing.

Let Pep coach a second division team with no funds and see how he gets on.

Do you not think though that klopp in same situation would have done same or better than Pep? Difficult to compare I suppose.

No.

I don’t understand why people do it but they downplay Pep’s achievements at Barca and Bayern because “anybody could’ve don’t it”. The only problem with that is Pep’s Barca and Bayern teams are the most dominant in each clubs history.

Pep has won 28 trophies as a manager, Klopp has won 9. Klopp has been managing 4 years longer than Pep.

I thought klopp was the only manager to have a better head to head record against Pep.

Could be wrong.

Think you're right. Think Klopp sneaked ahead in the head to heads last season.

True, admin need to look at guys who have been members for years and have only a couple of Rangers related posts but are now posting mad every few minutes about Liverpool winning the league. Very strange indeed

To be honest it doesn’t bother me much mate. They’re welcome to chime in, makes sense given Gerrard’s presence here. I think others will just be bears who’ve done a sudden U turn on them because of the gaffer too.

Of course Klopp is.

Pep is a maniac and i can not stand him. Honestly.

Also Klopp has taken teams from midfield of the table who havent won the league for ages to big success. He didnt start this at Dortmund - he already did this with Mainz.

Pep on the other hand took over already great teams and then...spent even more money. Everyone remembers some Liverpool games under Klopp in Europe. What did Pep do with Man City in the Champions League? Nothing.

He took the second biggest club in Germany to 2 league titles.

He took the second biggest club in England to 1 league title and 1 Champions League.

Both amazing achievements but let’s not pretend Dortmund and Liverpool are some sort of plucky underdogs ffs.

pep is a brilliant manager but he was at Barca with a team that picked itself, same with Bayern and Man City has basically unlimited funds. Could fire Mourinho in that as he won league at Porto Chelsea Madrid and inter
League wise yes but the CL with Porto and Inter was something special.

In his final season at Dortmund they were bottom of the league in February and the general consensus was that he didn’t have a clue how to organise a defence.

Recency bias is very strong in this debate.

He also lifted them from bottom to a European place in the same season.

Not going to dispute that but do you not think that teams now look to emulate klopp rather than Pep. Including our own manager.

I’m not seeing it mate. That’s the first league title he’s won in a long time, it’s not as though he’s been racking them up and teams have been trying to follow in his footsteps.

Pep has won it with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City (Admittedly he turned that Barcelona into probably the greatest club side the world has ever seen)

Klopp has knocked Bayern off its perch with Dortmund and now handed Liverpool it's first premier league trophy.

Both great managers. But give me Klopp every day. Brilliant manager

A bit of an aside, but was that Manchester City team tonight not still the most expensive collection of football players in history?

He took the second biggest club in Germany to 2 league titles.

He took the second biggest club in England to 1 league title and 1 Champions League.

Both amazing achievements but let’s not pretend Dortmund and Liverpool are some sort of plucky underdogs ffs.

"Biggest" club maybe. But they were not the second BEST club when Klopp came.

Dortmund were average. And Liverpool you know yourself. They were behind Arsenal and Chelsea and both Manchester teams.

Dortmund were average. And Liverpool you know yourself. They were behind Arsenal and Chelsea and both Manchester teams.

Second biggest means they came with a budget and expectation to make them competitive.

FWIW, Barca weren’t even second best in Spain when Pep took over.

You’re banging on about him being ‘bottom in February’ but are willing to forget that he turned it round 3 months later? Okay:D

Taking Dortmund, who had won back to back titles, to a Europa League spot after being bottom of the league in January/February can’t be considered a successful season by anyone’s measure.

Liverpool were a ball hair away from winning the league under the tranny shagger. Had the gaffer not slipped and they saw it through, would that have put Rodgers right up there?

Liverpool spent £80 euros on a centre half a few years ago, they’re not some courageous underdogs, they’re a massive club with great spending power, who have flexed their financial muscles. Money doesn’t guarantee you success though, if it did then Madrid would have gotten the better of Guardiola every year while he was at Barca.

Taking Dortmund, who had won back to back titles, to a Europa League spot after being bottom of the league in January/February can’t be considered a successful season by anyone’s measure.
You need a bit of context there though. This wasn’t the same Dortmund team that had won back-to-back titles. Pep had come in and dominated with Bayern (like he has everywhere) and Dortmund had started to lose their key players through injuries and transfers.

Any team that loses a prime Lewandowski isn’t going to function the same, let alone to a team that is your nearest rivals. Throw in that Reus was starting to become injury prone too and you have a series of unfortunate events.

As mentioned previously I think both Klopp and Pep are the best 2 managers in the world, however, Pep has never had any of his best players leave to a direct rival in the same league like Klopp has on countless occasions.

I've not read any of the replies, but the answer is a 100% YES!

Pep is manager easy mode. Barcelona, Bayern, and the bottomless Citeh money pit.
Klopp literally built Mainz as we know them, and brought Dortmund back to the stature they deserve, while laying the foundations for the success they enjoy today.

Pep just fine tuned his clubs, in my opinion of course.

Second biggest means they came with a budget and expectation to make them competitive.

FWIW, Barca weren’t even second best in Spain when Pep took over.

So Pep did not arrive at Barcelona with the second biggest budget and expectations?

By the way. Dortmund were 13th at the end of the season with Thomas Doll before Klopp came. Behind Bochum and Karlsruhe.
He then spend 13 Million on 8 or 9 players who came from teams like Paderborn or Karlsruhe (while selling players for 12 million) and took them to Europe and played good football. Dortmund did not have the second biggest budget and not the expectations at this time. Mate i dont care about Klopp or Dortmund but these are the facts.

It’s very hard to determine what exactly is down to the coach alone these days. There is so much money involved In the game it’s hard to know if success is down to the strategy of the coach or the skilfulness of the players. I think Klopp has his side playing the best football around at present. They play the high press magnificently. However, let’s not forget Pep was the guy who gave us tiki-taka (at least he perfected it) which dominated world football for so long

Seriously you just don’t win titles even for money these day he’s a well proven manager even if we don’t like him klop has won one title remember maybe two with one n Germany come on now

Pep has always had special weapons in his sides. Barca he had a team of superstars, Bayern far and away the best team in Germany with the most money, he would have had Ribery, Robben, Lahm and maybe Lewandowski(?), and that Man City team have signed with a scatter gun tactic to sign the best players from all over. Klopp seems to know how to get a tune out of players who aren’t necessarily superstars, or at least weren’t until they played under him, Salah and Henderson for example which for me is what makes him the better of the two

Pep has always had special weapons in his sides. Barca he had a team of superstars, Bayern far and away the best team in Germany with the most money, he would have had Ribery, Robben, Lahm and maybe Lewandowski(?), and that Man City team have signed with a scatter gun tactic to sign the best players from all over. Klopp seems to know how to get a tune out of players who aren’t necessarily superstars, or at least weren’t until they played under him, Salah and Henderson for example which for me is what makes him the better of the two

You just have to look at Kevin Großkreutz. Where did he play before Klopp? How did he play after Klopp?

In between Klopp made him a champion. A german international. A world-cup winner. And a starter in a Champions League final.
Pep wouldnt even know who Großkreutz was.

Back