Is that our best starting 11?

wilso10

Probably easy to say yes after such a performance, but to me that midfield and front 3 in particular is the best we have going forward this season.

No point dwelling in the past but can’t help think if that team started the LCF it might have been a different outcome.

The midfield were an absolute joy to watch.

Last edited:
I think a fully fit Tillman gets in, he’s got undoubted ability and is probably our player of the season.

Sakala probably drops out of our best 11 for me, which I know sounds crazy after that game. I’d more Cantwell to the right, and I’d also have Morelos instead of Colak.

Nice problems for Beale to have.
I know it’s hard to compare with Morelos coming on late but he looks so sluggish. Personally I would go with Colak.

If and its a big if we keep all the players fit then the team who started tonight will be the team going forward but what’s the chances of all of them staying fit?

What has taken me by surprise about Cantwell is his enthusiasm to do the dirty work he really does work really hard to get the ball back for the time,some of his touches are sublime

In fairness Tillman does that well to, for two attacking flair players they don’t half put a shift in off the ball.

Comes from Beale and his coaching clearly.

Probably easy to say yes after such a performance, but to me that midfield and front 3 in particular is the best we have going forward this season.

No point dwelling in the past but can’t help think if that team started the LCF it might have been a different outcome.

The midfield were an absolute joy to watch.

Don’t know about our best 11 but it’s our best midfield without question.

I know it’s hard to compare with Morelos coming on late but he looks so sluggish. Personally I would go with Colak.
It’s a bit like Miller vs Boyd for me. Against better teams I would have Alfie working the back 4. He should never have been taken off in the cup final.

We absolutely need to buy another striker in the summer, someone that can run in behind.

I’d like to see Yilmaz and Tillman in the side.
At this rate, I’m going to need to go with no strikers, though!

Kent Tillman Sakala

Cantwell
Raskin Jack

Yilmaz Davies Goldson Tavernier

McGregor
We need a strong bench to win the league so there is space for them all

I think a fully fit Tillman gets in, he’s got undoubted ability and is probably our player of the season.

Sakala probably drops out of our best 11 for me, which I know sounds crazy after that game. I’d more Cantwell to the right, and I’d also have Morelos instead of Colak.

I'd have tillman in for kent and cantwell playing wherever kent is.

I think our midfield and back 5 is the best we currently have in terms of interplay & mobility.
I still believe that a fit & on song Alfie offers more than Colak up front.
Hibs played a pretty open game tonight which played into our hands, against a low block, ultra defensive set up we need different options up front than just having Colak.

Right now, this has to be the team in our next league game.

But we said the same after Tynecastle, they need to produce tonight's performance consistently.

Yes probably our best 11, though, you can swap players out on occasion, like Sunday, Tillman/Cantwell, Jack or Raskin for Lundstram.

I think we need to play with 2 strikers more, with someone behind them Kent/Hagi/Tillman.

As much as he was great tonight, sakala can be very hit and miss in games. Also feel that next season yilmaz will be first choice left back. He would play the role differently but I would prefer tillman further ahead next to the striker over sakala, reduces defensive responsibilities of tillman whilst putting his quality on the ball closer to the striker.

The difference in Borna Barisic is night and day from a few months ago, full of confidence and looks every bit the international quality full back.

It’s great to have the strength in depth we have, providing we get/keep people fit.
And at long last tonight at least twice, he was there at the back post when the ball was coming in from the opposite flank....

Tillman hasn't put in a level of performance consistently over 90 minutes like Cantwell did tonight.

He's a player that shows it in flashes, for now. Tillman isn't even a midfield player in my eyes, not yet anyway.

I think the midfield 3 we saw tonight, is the most balanced showing we've had all season.

Why you would want to break that up and shove Cantwell on the right is beyond me, after seeing what you've just seen.

If Tillman is going to get back in, it will have to be in place of Sakala imo.

A few weeks ago Tillman was the 2nd coming of Laudrup, doing things that some people “haven’t seen a footballer do”. Now he might not make our best 11.

I absolutely love this place. I’m away back to the ‘Sakala isn’t good enough’ thread.

Our best 11, but Tillman makes a strong stake. He’s probably our best player.

As an aside, I think tonight showed that it’s time to part with Alfie. What a signing for the money and I love him, but he’s turned into a bit of a sideshow and for the wages we could do MUCH better. He’s not a great finisher, he’s inconsistent and he can be an energy sapper.

Arguments over Cantwell/Tillman as well, but on recent performances it’s Cantwells shirt to lose and I don’t see him losing it so easily.
Tillman is still young and will vastly improve and gives us goals from midfield. Cantwell had a good game good passing and tracking back winning tackles.

Tillman hasn't put in a level of performance consistently over 90 minutes like Cantwell did tonight.

He's a player that shows it in flashes, for now. Tillman isn't even a midfield player in my eyes, not yet anyway.

I think the midfield 3 we saw tonight, is the most balanced showing we've had all season.

Why you would want to break that up and shove Cantwell on the right is beyond me, after seeing what you've just seen.

If Tillman is going to get back in, it will have to be in place of Sakala imo.
Tillman would had probably scored a couple in that game tonight

I’d like to see Yilmaz and Tillman in the side.
At this rate, I’m going to need to go with no strikers, though!

Kent Tillman Sakala

Cantwell
Raskin Jack

Yilmaz Davies Goldson Tavernier

McGregor
Yilmaz apart from a sizeable transfer fee has been injured. Don't see the fascination about him until he's played and done something. Borna has had a good season for us.
Agree with the rest

It probably is currently, but with Tillman, Yilmaz, Lawrence and Souttar still to return to tonight's squad, all of a sudden we have a real depth of quality.

I think our midfield and back 5 is the best we currently have in terms of interplay & mobility.
I still believe that a fit & on song Alfie offers more than Colak up front.
Hibs played a pretty open game tonight which played into our hands, against a low block, ultra defensive set up we need different options up front than just having Colak.
Although I agree with you, I think it's fair to say that we haven't seen that version of Alfie for a LONG time, and I don't think he'll re-appear any time soon. So, at present, I'd be playing Colak, not Alfie.

Comple
Morelos doesnt score that first Colak goal tonight as he doesnt make a front post run.
Completely agree. For what it’s worth I think it’s time to move on from Alfredo. Cholak for the remainer of the season would be my choice but can see arguments for Alfredo in some games

Still think Tillman and Morelos make it into our best team but it's a squad game and we need players that contribute over the course of a season.

It was a great performance tonight but it's still early days. Probably not a coincidence that our 2 best performances under Beale have come in Edinburgh against teams that have tried to meet us further up the pitch.

when a fit Tillman comes back,then the wee Belgian is the one to drop out for me,I much prefer Cantwell.

It’s the strongest team at the moment but next season there’s room for improvement with Lawrence coming back and upgrade on the attacking players

Although I agree with you, I think it's fair to say that we haven't seen that version of Alfie for a LONG time, and I don't think he'll re-appear any time soon. So, at present, I'd be playing Colak, not Alfie.
Fair comment mate, but if we don't have a fit and on song Alfredo, we need someone with very similar attributes.

In fairness Tillman does that well to, for two attacking flair players they don’t half put a shift in off the ball.

Comes from Beale and his coaching clearly.
Really? Did you watch the cup final? You can't compare Tillmam's off the ball work with what Cantwell is showing. Cantwell is light years ahead in that department.

Really? Did you watch the cup final? You can't compare Tillmam's off the ball work with what Cantwell is showing. Cantwell is light years ahead in that department.
Stats say otherwise. Tillman both in terms of ground covered and winning the ball back is one of the best in our team.

It’s fairly obvious that he wasn’t fit for the final.

Tillman also light years ahead of Cantwell in terms of goal contributions. Not a dig at Cantwell btw.

Close. I'd still try to find a spot for Tillman. His talent is too good to leave on the bench.

... if he's not being made the scapegoat for the cup final that is... :rolleyes:

I also think Morelos, or a Morelos type striker, is needed against tougher opposition

9 out of the 10 outfield players who started tonight will be here almost definitely be here next season so that's a big positive. I also think there a decent chance of Kent staying. Factoring in the likes of Lawrence, Hagi, Lowry, Souttar, Yilmaz etc. to return from injury then I actually don't think we need a great number of outfield players in the summer. The big priority for me is bringing in a top quality goalkeeper, that really could make all the difference and turn us into a title winning side.

Back