Is there something going on with Cantwell behind the scenes?

My take now the game is over … during the week the guys starting were told, in order to work on tactics, etc.

Cantwell has been told he’s benched, and has went onto social media with the “bird can’t fly in a cage” lyrics as a cryptic dig.

His “cage” being the bench, and Clement kept him there. It’s melodramatic, childish, bitchy nonsense we can do without. He can go in the summer as well as far as I’m concerned, I’m done defending anyone in this squad bar Butland and Sterling - and maybe Diomande.

I don't think Clement trusts him to do any sort of team work.

Unfortunately nowadays you can't really have a player in a big game doing what they want and not pressing in unison with the team or playing to how the manager wants.

Cantwell has a lot of talent, but I think he might just think he has a bit more in his head than he actually does.

I actually like him but I do think he does flatter to deceive an awful lot. Tries to do too much himself which inevitably means he loses the ball and also takes teammates out the game. I think Clement will look to get rid of him in the summer……hopefully along with the majority of the rest of them.

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
To be blunt, he's rather pish. Imo.
All wee attempted flicks, no look passes etc, that never come off.
Another player , like Silva, who really think something of themselves, but don't back up their own hype.

I'll be surprised if Cantwell is here next season just think it's inevitable that he will sold for a guy that was getting touted for big money moves down in England a few years ago he just doesn't offer enough for us in terms of that spark of creativity or a goal when it's needed and his consistently levels are way off.

The social media pish is standard with most footballers though tbf.

Problem is you would probably say the opposite if Cantwell started and played like he usually does in these games.

Takes ages on the ball and falls over then gets booked and disappears.
Fair post but Cantwell on his day (which I admit isn’t often these days) is far and away our best technical player and apart from TL’s goal last week he has done absolutely nothing to merit a 2nd OF start in a row when he put in the same performance last time round.
Cantwell may not have the discipline but crucially, Lawrence doesn’t have the heart.

My take now the game is over … during the week the guys starting were told, in order to work on tactics, etc.

Cantwell has been told he’s benched, and has went onto social media with the “bird can’t fly in a cage” lyrics as a cryptic dig.

His “cage” being the bench, and Clement kept him there. It’s melodramatic, childish, bitchy nonsense we can do without. He can go in the summer as well as far as I’m concerned, I’m done defending anyone in this squad bar Butland and Sterling - and maybe Diomande.
This and our starting lineup was leaked on here last night. I thought that had been dealt with a long time ago.

Thought he'd do a good job of sitting on McGregor and frustrating. Definitely does more work than Lawrence. Maybe that's why i was in the pub watching the game and not in the dugout.

After yet another Old Firm defeat in which we could have kept the title race well alive with a win, we're instead talking about why our so called best player has posted something like your auntie would post on FB after a few sherries.

If a player has a problem with the manager then they should show why their manager is wrong by playing fucking football well, or else they can just shut the %^*& up.

IMFO

I'll be surprised if Cantwell is here next season just think it's inevitable that he will sold for a guy that was getting touted for big money moves down in England a few years ago he just doesn't offer enough for us in terms of that spark of creativity or a goal when it's needed and his consistently levels are way off.

The social media pish is standard with most footballers though tbf.
I’d be happy enough if he isn’t here next season TBH.

I also reckon the manager will be glad to see the back of him

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
Manager thinks he is unreliable in terms of team play is how I imagine it . I think he will be traded in summer if there’s an acceptable offer on the table .

There seems to be a problem there between the two, which has not been resolved.
Cantwell has his history with other managers, and now you can add Clement to this list.

You either back the player or the manager going forward.
If it's the manager, Cantwell may as well be sold.
No point having him hang around, and be unhappy.
God knows we have enough of these already!

Big summer for Clement, but he needs to wake the fkuc up about this squad, and decide who is willing to literally leave it all out there, on that field in an old firm game.
Too many now, and in the past, just 'talk the talk'.
But 'can't walk the walk'.

If he can't do this, and look them in the eyes and see that desire and passion, (without hiding behind the bullshit) then he is no use to us going forward.

I will write this for the last time.
When he came in Clement was this dour, serious guy, who use to give the media really short shrift in press conferences and gave short answers, and the death stare when needed!
He was given respect then.Not that liked. But, respected.

Now we have this smiling guy, who tries to crack jokes, and his ramblings more resemble a Beale press conference.
I want that angry guy back.
That commanded respect from the players, and media alike.
That guy will succeed at this club.
The latter won't, and we will be in for more pain as a result going forward.

Manager said it wasn’t a game for him when we were down to 10 men. Fair enough but was is really a game for Lawrence?

Defend those losers that play every week I am sick of the same losing mentality from the so called senior players who never get dropped.Cantwell is a talented player who must be looking at Lundstrum ,Tavernier ,Goldson,and players of that ilk causing us problems and dropped points ,yes I think he will look for pastures new,in his position so would I

He doesn’t provide enough and he’s easily wound up when it’s not going our way.

Lawrence was pish but Cantwell wasn’t the answer today.
This is how I see the scenario the manager was in . Searching for a more dependable player to do the team job but not really believing in either .

I wondered if Dowell or McCausland would be brought in even on RW to have Sterling in MF but who knows what the real life options were for the manager today it’s all a little dysfunctional is the vibe I have .

Same nonsense at Norwich, maybe Tom needs to start looking at himself instead of thinking everyone else is too blame all the time. I expect he will have the exact same issues at his next club as well.

I really don’t understand our fans at times.

Cantwell is categorically our most creative player, and he backs it up with industry and commitment.

He carries a threat, and exactly the type of player we needed today to unlock a very poor opponent.

He’ll probably leave, same as Tillman, same as Windass before them.

It actually does you no favours being a flair player at Ibrox any more.

I don’t live on FF or check every single post/thread I’ve missed since I last logged on.
I wasn’t having a dig at you. I agree I think the bird in the cage pish came from that. I was just pointing out we seem to have leaks from the first team yet again.

Fair post but Cantwell on his day (which I admit isn’t often these days) is far and away our best technical player and apart from TL’s goal last week he has done absolutely nothing to merit a 2nd OF start in a row when he put in the same performance last time round.
Cantwell may not have the discipline but crucially, Lawrence doesn’t have the heart.
True . But he is also , it appears , the sort of player / personality who gets a manager fired . We have a fair few of those too not only TC .

Cantwell is categorically our most creative player, and he backs it up with industry and commitment.

He carries a threat, and exactly the type of player we needed today to unlock a very poor opponent.

That’s all well and good if you can do it more than once every 2 months.

Cantwell seems to have some kind of spell over people that makes them incapable of seeing how rotten he is most weeks.

I think it’s right to say the club wanted Tillman . The two others yeah they seem to be tricky fits .

That’s all well and good if you can do it more than once every 2 months.

Cantwell seems to have some kind of spell over people that makes them incapable of seeing how rotten he is most weeks.
That’s just not true.

Picking Lawrence over is just the latest in an alarming number of personnel brain farts from the manager.

I couldn’t care less if Clement doesn’t fancy him.

Short term, it’s Clements job to work with what he has - and he has no one better in that position.

6 goals and 6 assists in 41 games doesn’t back up your statements.

O’Riley for them churns out the kind of numbers that Cantwell should for us.

He’s nowhere near effective enough to play as Rangers no.10.

Who could have seen something like this coming from the guy that wasnt getting a game at Norwich and posting similar messages when there.....
When your being brutally honest,this is it he couldn't get a game for Norwich.And we expect him to be a world beater.Get him out the door end of season hes had enough chances to impress and done nothing like many of the others get out now!

He's a poser and not very good at it either.

That’s just not true.

Picking Lawrence over is just the latest in an alarming number of personnel brain farts from the manager.

I couldn’t care less if Clement doesn’t fancy him.

Short term, it’s Clements job to work with what he has - and he has no one better in that position.
I wouldnt have started either of them.

If he was better at football than posting nonsense on social media you’d expect from a teenage girl, he’d be excellent.

The truth is he is another amongst most of this squad who had contributed next to nothing

Nonsense.

He has more grit about him than the majority of the current squad.

But, hey he has long blonde hair and likes an Insta post, let’s roll out the cliches.

People would be happier if he had a skinhead and a thick Norn Iron accent.
I’m not bothered about there personal ,images I’m ok with whichever style they chooses, goes without saying , but professional football demands professional attitudes and discipline and team ethics .
That goes a long long way especially at Rangers . Think of guys like Alex Miller or Dave McPherson or more recently Davie Weir . We need those attitudes.

Last edited:
Yup! I think Cantwell would have been on around 60 was it not for Lundstrum fcking up trying to make up for his fck up.
Wondered similar was it psychologically linked to that ridiculous OG and he just went too far . Both terrible boys of play but the own goal was so unlike him imo it was a moment of mental ness .

Can’t be bothered with all the cryptic insta pish. He has ideas above his station about how he influences our team. Too many players similar to him in their thinking in my opinion. Scoring goals and winning games is what we want . 4 games against the tinks and we have 1 point to show.
Spot on. He seems to have Real Madrid sized ego when in truth he’s destined to play his career out in English League 1

Who cares if there if there is something going on with Cantwell this season, he has been a let down when player, he should be one of our top players but he just hasnt been posting the numbers required. If wr get offered decent money I would sell.

Back