Is there something going on with Cantwell behind the scenes?

Ok.. mccausland and wright have better numbers?
No I do t think they do.
neither of them are good enough, but why does he not get on?

He is like Josh Windass, thinks he is better than he is, thinks he is better than those around him and clearly isn’t.

I said in a thread before that Cantwells whole body language seemed to be different after Beale left, not sure why, maybe Beale thought the sun shone out of his arse and when Clement stepped in that feelings would not be the same.

Personally I'd have Cantwell before Lawrence... just, we could do much better than both of them though.
After today surely even pig headed Phil can see Todd’s way better than Tom Lawrence? I got the vibe from his press conference that Lundstram might make an appearance again when he clearly should not.

It's quite simple really but I'll spell it out for you, he's never off social media pouring his heart out to any idiot prepared to listen to his never ending stream of utter pish.
As I said a player who is well overrated by many of our support

He should have been on at some stage,he is capable of holding the ball up and making a pass but for some reason the manager doesent fancy him.

Think his ego is high. Probably why he's left previous clubs. He shows great plays in touches but is wasteful, so for me is no way guaranteed to be a starter for Rangers.

Cantwell is one of the few that has the ability to be a first choice player in a title winning side. He should stay and in the summer we’ll hopefully get him in a side where when he lifts his head on the ball he’s got better players than the likes of silva, dessers and wright around him.

If it was up to some fans on here we’d be getting rid of everyone besides Butland. We’re not signing 20 players in the summer, Clement will need to show he’s able to get more from some of those already here.

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
Players shouldn’t go near Social Media

He’ll be gone in the summer.

Doesn’t strike me that Clement has much love for him.

Good outcome all round. He’ll be a high earner and we should demand a lot more than he produces for that.

I have plenty complaints

He can actually produce some quality

Dio, lundstram, sterling, Raskin.. None of them score enough

Compare to their 3... They all get goals
I like Cantwell, but surely we aren't accepting his contribution? Being busy doesn't mean you make an impact on games?

He’ll be gone in the summer.

Doesn’t strike me that Clement has much love for him.

Good outcome all round. He’ll be a high earner and we should demand a lot more than he produces for that.
Only a good outcome if we find someone to buy him and pay his full wages

He should study those pair of Snipers Hatate and Kyogo, hard grafting, hard running shoot to kill annoying fcukers

He's been average this season, but you don't come back from being totally binned from a team as poor as we are.

Same with Raskin, and both will no doubt be gone at the end of the season.

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
Just by saying that he is unavailable for selection. As the manager said, not the player when you’re down to ten men. As discussed flatters to deceive.

Would keep Cantwell, but number 10s are usually the ticking of the small European teams you face in the qualifiers, there is talent to find.

A fair number of folk in the lead-up to this fixture had mixed feelings about TC starting today’s game and I think we pretty much all understand why that narrative was basically trending .

It was an impossible situation for the manager and that’s why it will cause him to act on this player - that’s if he hasn’t already .

Were I manager I couldn’t honestly believe in him

Last edited:
Behind the scenes?

You mean in training and big games?

The guy is incapable of following any instruction.

Another monumental waste of money that plays to the crowd when we’re beating diddies.

Good fives player. Except from the not tracking runners part.

There is no way Cantwell changes that game, no matter if he started or came on as a sub.
It’s where our squad is at the moment. No matter who plays they don’t influence games.

If we are being honest there is not one player in our entire squad who would be considered to be a “game changer” and that’s concerning.

The discourse around him all season has been negative. I'm not going to get involved in the discourse around his social media stuff. I don't care. Plenty of players are active on social media and still manage to deliver on the pitch.

I don't care if you like him or dislike him, but we should all at least be able to agree that his numbers this season are piss poor and have fallen way short of where they needed to be. That's even accounting for injuries.

I'm thoroughly in the camp that he can't be entrusted by the manager to be tactically disciplined. We saw that when he got hauled off at Hampden early on in Phil's tenure for actively ignoring instructions.

I'm not going to be sad to see him go. It's a bit of a shame, because he was genuinely enjoyable to watch this time last season.

Ultimately if he’s posting cryptic nonsense on social media regarding his situation at Rangers, then he thinks he’s better than he actually is.

Let’s be honest, he’s a 1 in 4 type player that might produce something.

However, I would have him in my team ahead of Lawrence.

Major questions have to be asked around Clement & his team selection.

Good managers get the most out of what they have to work with.
We don't have the squad depth to be making an example of players.

Cantwell is a better player than given credit for on here and, for instance, shouldn't have been dropped in the last OF game at Ibrox- without him the Matondo equaliser doesn't happen, and it showed what he could do if played further up the park; he is not a midfielder. Against Kilmarnock last week he was our most creative player with movement off ball and using his touch to create chances; but for a deflection he may have scored a great goal, and yet, typically, he was subsequently subbed yet again. Also his performance in the SF at Hampden a few weeks ago was very good. This has a feel of Advocaat and Albertz about it, and it's safe to say that if Clement is here next season then Cantwell likely won't be, and for a team lacking in the necessary depth and with players not as good as him in it, that would be a pity.

Can’t be bothered with all the cryptic insta pish. He has ideas above his station about how he influences our team. Too many players similar to him in their thinking in my opinion. Scoring goals and winning games is what we want . 4 games against the tinks and we have 1 point to show.
8.33% in an exam.

Cantwell hasn't done enough to get a chance off the bench but McAusland/Wright/Roofe have??

Really?

Clement making a point for the sake of his own ego in the biggest old firm game of the season. Great work.

Nonsense.

He has more grit about him than the majority of the current squad.

But, hey he has long blonde hair and likes an Insta post, let’s roll out the cliches.

People would be happier if he had a skinhead and a thick Norn Iron accent.
The numbers don't lie. He's been rotten

I never mentioned Tav

And the hatate has been injured most the season
So they have one center mid who scores a decent amount of goals
O’rileys figures there are exactly what Cantwell should bring but he’s a damp squib, especially in the big games.

He's clearly a liability when it comes to getting wound up and I think that's what it came down to.

He played 20 minutes of the last old firm and McGregor had him rattled within minutes.

Once Lundstram went off there was no chance of seeing him because he'd be away down the tunnel within 10 minutes.

I really don’t understand our fans at times.

Cantwell is categorically our most creative player, and he backs it up with industry and commitment.

He carries a threat, and exactly the type of player we needed today to unlock a very poor opponent.

He’ll probably leave, same as Tillman, same as Windass before them.

It actually does you no favours being a flair player at Ibrox any more.
He’s 19th in the SPL for assists and not even in the top 20 for goals.

Is that what the fans are missing? Is it likely he would’ve ‘unlocked’ Celtic yesterday?

My take now the game is over … during the week the guys starting were told, in order to work on tactics, etc.

Cantwell has been told he’s benched, and has went onto social media with the “bird can’t fly in a cage” lyrics as a cryptic dig.

His “cage” being the bench, and Clement kept him there. It’s melodramatic, childish, bitchy nonsense we can do without. He can go in the summer as well as far as I’m concerned, I’m done defending anyone in this squad bar Butland and Sterling - and maybe Diomande.
If a training ground tiff is the cause of Clement not throwing him on then it's nothing short of a disgrace.
Our squad was threadbare enough without giving any game time to one of our few real talents.

Back