Is there something going on with Cantwell behind the scenes?

He's a bit of a maverick, and doesn't follow tactical instructions well.

I don't think the rest of the team was strong enough to have somebody like that start at parkhead, and certainly not to come on when we are down to 10 men.

He should have started at Ibrox though when we would be wanting to take the game to them.

Wright and Matondo run as well but they’re not good enough either. Just because Cantwell runs doesn’t mean he should start for us, he’s not good enough.
The comparison was with Lawrence who contributes little and also doesn’t run much. It’s a valid one. Cantwell should have been on ahead of Lawrence. I think there is a distinct possibility Phil has an issue there which he is putting ahead of suitability for the game.

I never mentioned Tav

And the hatate has been injured most the season
So they have one center mid who scores a decent amount of goals
Yes, and to counter that we have one right back who scores goals - which is why I mentioned Tav.

Hatate has played 18 games - 3 goals
Diomande has played 16 games - 2 goals

Their midfield is just as inept at scoring as ours

Yes, and to counter that we have one right back who scores goals - which is why I mentioned Tav.

The difference is they have a number 10 who scores and assists a lot. We have 2 in effective number 10s who leave the 2 behind them completely exposed. Why Clement can't see this is anyone's guess.

Gave us some hope when he first came in and he always looks like he cares but he hasn't had the impact it looked he could have.

Maybe he'd be better in a better team. Who knows?

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
This will turn into another Cantwell bashing thread for sure! Plenty on here reckon he’s a waste of space as far as I can see so maybe the manager has taken the advice of FF.

We’ll manage to sell him for sure.

Won’t be much to any profit, but he’d still be a wanted commodity in the English championship.
There wasn’t much interest in him at that level when we got him.

I don’t see any championship team willing to match what we pay him.

When we are under the cosh, Cantwell is not the player you need. He's too easy to get into his head. He thinks he's a superstar and in games like this, harder working players will get the best of him

I could be talking nonsense but I don’t understand how he doesn’t even get on today when he can be a game changing player.

Just a couple days ago he posted “A bird can’t fly in a cage” that could be nothing but it also could be something we don’t know. At first I thought it was nothing but after today him not getting any minutes I am starting to think there might be something going on.
No... He's shite there to.

Clement subbed him early in a European game and I don't think they've had the best of relationships since.

Was clear from the start when Clement hooked him at half time a couple of games he had no time for him. cantwell is the Type of player who probably wants a free role and doesn't want to have to do a 'tactical job'.
In fairness that's why beale brought him, he was also our best player playing like that. Square peg round hole now though.

I don't think Clement trusts him to do any sort of team work.

Unfortunately nowadays you can't really have a player in a big game doing what they want and not pressing in unison with the team or playing to how the manager wants.

Cantwell has a lot of talent, but I think he might just think he has a bit more in his head than he actually does.
What about last game at Ibrox cantwells pressing when he came on was big reason we got back into that game along with hearts semi final

Doesn't produce enough on the park and, the times he does its then weeks until he does again.

In that meantime we've dropped points galore, he's clearly fallen out with another manager, he'll leave and then start posting cryptic social media messages with his new club.

A few turns and pirouette’s yesterday while clashing with McGregor, no thanks. Another who talks a good game or shows up against the donkeys of the league, sell in the summer for whatever we can get.

I took pelters on here at the start of the season when he took to twitter to have a spat with that fud Sutton. I’ll say the same thing I said then…. Do the talking on the pitch win trophies then give them it back…. Anyone disagreeing now?….

Think it's now pretty clear he'll be away in the summer.

Hopefully a Championship club will give us a few £m for him.

He will leave the club and push the narrative that “I can’t talk about what happened to me there” and essentially make out his wellbeing was being effected.

Pulled the same trick at Norwich and Bournemouth.

You are just not that good Todd.
He is better than the players our manager put on ,that's a fact not a guess and whatever is going on between our manager and him should not affect the fans who deserve our strongest team in the field,if PC has a problem with a player then he should put him up for sale at the appropriate time not punish him and us by benching him,and he should take a look at our so called senior players ,that's a laugh and be planning to add some real defenders to our squad and get some of these undropables out the team ,I say this as a season ticket holder for years and have a right to my opinion on this subject ,how other people feel I don't know.

Think it's now pretty clear he'll be away in the summer.

Hopefully a Championship club will give us a few £m for him.
Believe me he is better than championship my opinion ,he has a mind of his own,that's the way of most good players,we got beat yesterday with not our strongest eleven on the field and that irks me.

It's on the scene right in front of us. He's got no on pitch discipline and flatters to device. Him and Matt O'Reilly are so similar in ability, but completely opposite in attitude and it shown.

I like Todd. But he struggles to be a team player. That's OK if you're Baxter, Best or Gascoigne but unfortunately for us he's not. I think this may be the issue. He'll be away in the summer I'm sure.

I think on his day he can be a decent player and contribute hugely. However he needs to be “on his day” far more often, particularly when we’re up against it, not just when we’re 2 or 3 goals up.

As for behind the scenes issues, he’ll put in bang average or even poor performances then take the huff when being substituted. Then post not so cryptic digs at the manager on social media. I’d say it’s fairly obvious what the issues are.

If it hadn’t been for the sending off he might have got on yesterday. At 10 v 11 you can’t afford to give a player freedom to do what he wants.

How many open play goals has Tav scored?

They have a midfielder who scores regularly, we don't

Another player who has had good moments, but ultimately not been able to be consistent and pull the team over the line when needed.

Could definitely make a few quid out him in the summer if a team down south was interested and reinvest.

I think every time Cantwell plays , there are a minimum of two opposition on him . Celtic included , don’t want to leave him one on one .

That doesn’t happen, if he is a useless oaf. I actually think it would have been prudent to have him on the pitch , to create space for other players to develop attacks with ten men .

I wonder how Clement has the divine vision to crassly suggest , “ this wouldn’t be a game for him” .

Where is the evidence to suggest it was a game for Lundstrum, McCausland, Lawrence , Barasic, Wright, or Tavernier ?

I think Cantwell gets held to a higher standard to those players. Unjustifiable by the manager , in my opinion.

How many open play goals has Tav scored?

They have a midfielder who scores regularly, we don't
O'riley also take their penalties. And we have a defender who scores regularly, they don't.

The point you were making was they have midfielders who ALL score goals. It's not true.

The comparison was with Lawrence who contributes little and also doesn’t run much. It’s a valid one. Cantwell should have been on ahead of Lawrence. I think there is a distinct possibility Phil has an issue there which he is putting ahead of suitability for the game.
Lawrence should be nowhere near the squad far less starting at the piggery. But if it’s attitude problems with Todd (and I say if!) then it shows good management by Clement. No ego should be bigger than the club and I get the impression his head is not fully screwed on!

O'riley also take their penalties. And we have a defender who scores regularly, they don't.

The point you were making was they have midfielders who ALL score goals. It's not true.

They contribute far more defensively and offensively than our midfield do, theirs is a functioning one, ours is a complete mess

Regardless how good you think Cantwell is which is certainly up for debate it was an absolutely ridiculous decision not to start him yesterday. Its exactly the type of game to throw someone like Cantwell into and challenge him to be match winner.

Its exactly the type of game to throw someone like Cantwell into and challenge him to be match winner.
It's exactly the kind of game he's consistently failed to deliver in.

One for the body language "experts" yesterday.

NvNfWtu.jpeg

It's exactly the kind of game he's consistently failed to deliver in.

One for the body language "experts" yesterday.
I don't think its guaranteed he would have made a difference but he has more talent than Silva or Lawrence, Sterling is never a right winger and should have been in midfield.

Going into a must win old firm game away from home Cantwell should be starting every single time given the options available.

I don't think its guaranteed he would have made a difference but he has more talent than Silva or Lawrence, Sterling is never a right winger and should have been in midfield.

Going into a must win old firm game away from home Cantwell should be starting every single time given the options available.
Genuine question Should he start every time if there has been a disciplinary issue and the manager is making a point?

Nope. He utterly utterly hates them. Like a fan.

They target him. He can't not bite.

He's a liability against them due to this.

Unless its something really serious then for me yes. The club is more important than issues between managers and players.
Interesting. I would take a different view and say that no player is bigger than the club and it is for the manager to instil that in players.

Genuinely interested in a different point of view.

Back