Is there something going on with Cantwell behind the scenes?

Can't be doing with the melodramatic twitter "you alright hon?" posts and he needs to cut that pish out.

But.. he should have started yesterday. A blind man can see that Lawrence just doesn't have the legs or energy for an OF game and it was a really poor decision to start him. Yes, Cantwell has underperformed this season and could potentially have got wound up but his energy and capacity to produce some moments of magic were worth the gamble imo. When hes on it, most of our best forward play goes through him.

In fact, cast your mind back to the OF game at end of last season. Granted it was a bit of a dead rubber but Todd was excellent that day. Grabbed a goal but more importantly, stayed tight on McGregor for most of the game and didn't allow him to dictate play like he has done before. That could have been replicated yesterday imo. Sacrifice the width, ]lay him in front of a solid midfield 3 and allow Silva and Dessers as a 2 up top and I reckon we're looking at a completely different match and outcome.

There's been a clash of styles/personalities between the 2 since the start as far as I'm concerned. PC hooking him so early in the league cup semi final v Hearts was the first sign for me PC wasnt satisfied with what he offered. Doesn't seem to have changed several months later.
Yet lundstrum and Lawrence do hee haw, stroll about, don’t track their markers, give the ball away but yeah PC does nothing about it and keeps starting them, leaving them on when it happens.

Yet lundstrum and Lawrence do hee haw, stroll about, don’t track their markers, give the ball away but yeah PC does nothing about it and keeps starting them, leaving them on when it happens.
This threads about Cantwell and the boss. Plenty of other threads slagging off the other 2.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of Cantwell at all but he should have been on the pitch before Lawrence, McCausland and Wright. We shouldn't have started with a number 10 to begin with anyway.

Barely plays Raskin but flings him in today. Starts Cantwell every week but doesn't use him at all today. It's like flinging Shite and hoping something sticks.
He’s lost the plot and I think many are starting to realise it now. It’s a massive risk to let him rebuild with his own players, say we lose champs league qualifiers then we lose at San giro again start of the season.

If he doesn’t win SC final the above will mean he’s faced the scum 5 times and took a solitary point which is pathetic. Tbh I can see the above scenario happening. We then part company and we are stuck with all of his players.

Cantwell is one of our best players. There were certainly signs of laziness to his play when he first arrived, but he runs his socks off now to help the team and is also managing not to react too badly to some of the terrible refereeing decisions that also triggered him in his early days here.
For reasons I am yet to fathom, Sutton has decided to pick on him this season and some of our support have joined in. I hope he is here next year as he is a top player.

It’s relevant as one rule for Cantwell and one rule for his favourites. Just my opinion.
Which begs the question what has gone on between Todd and the boss for him to not be favoured in bigger games. Something about Todd clearly rubs the boss up the wrong way.

Cantwell is one of our best players. There were certainly signs of laziness to his play when he first arrived, but he runs his socks off now to help the team and is also managing not to react too badly to some of the terrible refereeing decisions that also triggered him in his early days here.
For reasons I am yet to fathom, Sutton has decided to pick on him this season and some of our support have joined in. I hope he is here next year as he is a top player.
Cantwell will not be here next season.

Can't be doing with the melodramatic twitter "you alright hon?" posts and he needs to cut that pish out.

But.. he should have started yesterday. A blind man can see that Lawrence just doesn't have the legs or energy for an OF game and it was a really poor decision to start him. Yes, Cantwell has underperformed this season and could potentially have got wound up but his energy and capacity to produce some moments of magic were worth the gamble imo. When hes on it, most of our best forward play goes through him.

In fact, cast your mind back to the OF game at end of last season. Granted it was a bit of a dead rubber but Todd was excellent that day. Grabbed a goal but more importantly, stayed tight on McGregor for most of the game and didn't allow him to dictate play like he has done before. That could have been replicated yesterday imo. Sacrifice the width, ]lay him in front of a solid midfield 3 and allow Silva and Dessers as a 2 up top and I reckon we're looking at a completely different match and outcome.
A bit of a dead rubber? It was the absolute definition of a dead rubber. It’s all well and good turning it on when it means absolutely nothing. He’s contributed next to nothing in the games that matter

Which begs the question what has gone on between Todd and the boss for him to not be favoured in bigger games. Something about Todd clearly rubs the boss up the wrong way.
I would expect that he’s not following the managers instructions. We saw it when he was hooked before half-time in the Prague game and it sounds like he’s learned nothing from the message that the manager gave him at the time

I never mentioned Tav

And the hatate has been injured most the season
So they have one center mid who scores a decent amount of goals
Have to say I like Hatate as a player but these are his stats they aren’t top notch and let’s be honest we look at Euro games as a measure of proper good players and he has zero goals or assists. Same at international level both zero .

Last edited:
During last week's game Dessers reacted angrily to the manager in quite an angry manner, if it had been Cantwell this place would have went into meltdown.
Taking current form or a clash of personalities out of the equation it does seem it's one rule for one but not the other.

Am talking at rangers, be littered with that sort a player is no relevance to us.
I think you may have missed the ‘type’ angle re this style of player we have reams of evidence on these ‘types’ and that is the point being made .

If you don’t have numbers then you aren’t a good no10 it’s that clear imo

During last week's game Dessers reacted angrily to the manager in quite an angry manner, if it had been Cantwell this place would have went into meltdown.
Taking current form or a clash of personalities out of the equation it does seem it's one rule for one but not the other.
He is a goner too is he not ?

His record is poor. Hopefully we can get some money for him to help the latest rebuild. Then when we change manager in October we can think about our next rebuild next summer.

Cantwell is a player that can cost you a goal but can also create or score a goal.

Plenty of players in our team that cost us goals but don't contribute anything going forward.

Cantwell is worth the risk imo.

Ultimately if he’s posting cryptic nonsense on social media regarding his situation at Rangers, then he thinks he’s better than he actually is.

Let’s be honest, he’s a 1 in 4 type player that might produce something.

However, I would have him in my team ahead of Lawrence.

Major questions have to be asked around Clement & his team selection.
It is about conduct and professionalism surely not if he is fitter and better than a guy who is clearly way off his prime fitness level .
Anyway that’s how it appears to me there is too much noise , some of it made public by the player himself , for this to be entirely baseless

Did he go on social media and post some cryptic lyrics hoping for someone to reply "you OK doll, PM me"

He behaves like a teenage lassie

Cantwell is a player that can cost you a goal but can also create or score a goal.

Plenty of players in our team that cost us goals but don't contribute anything going forward.

Cantwell is worth the risk imo.
He doesn't create goals very often though. Our number 10 position right now is a luxury we can't afford as it just leaves the 2 midfielders to be over ran even against dross like Ross County and Dundee.

The issue there if that's the case is that it seems to be fine for some but not others.
There will be more to it than that obviously. For example, Clement won’t like the fact he doesn’t follow instructions. Other players, albeit are shit, will listen to the manager. Lawrence for example.

He doesn't create goals very often though. Our number 10 position right now is a luxury we can't afford as it just leaves the 2 midfielders to be over ran even against dross like Ross County and Dundee.
Agree with that mate.

We need a three man midfield that can be disciplined and stay in a structure to have any chance in those games imo.

If he is sticking with a 10 it has to be Cantwell though.

It’s relevant as one rule for Cantwell and one rule for his favourites. Just my opinion.
You think there are only two rules and the manager is choosing to make his job more difficult by being unfair to TC do you ?
Has he a record of such management style ? Everything I’ve read says the opposite but help us with the details of what you have to justify this please mate

Did he go on social media and post some cryptic lyrics hoping for someone to reply "you OK doll, PM me"

He behaves like a teenage lassie
Ok, say it was Borna, Scott Wright or whoever reacted to the manager. What happens?
I'm not sticking up for anyone, just saying it's not a good look from the manager.
Play your best players then get rid at the end of the season you don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Ok, say it was Borna, Scott Wright or whoever reacted to the manager. What happens?
I'm not sticking up for anyone, just saying it's not a good look from the manager.
Play your best players then get rid at the end of the season you don't cut your nose off to spite your face.
You are only talking about what you have seen on the pitch though. You have no idea how he behaves around the training ground. We all know the stories of Cantwell at Norwich and his dreadful attitude thinking he was Billy big balls.

I still find it bizarre that Clement starts him most weeks then starts Lawrence in 2 old firms in a row when he was dreadful in the first. Very scatter gun

That’s correct of course . Until the player becomes untrustworthy to field .

You are only talking about what you have seen on the pitch though. You have no idea how he behaves around the training ground. We all know the stories of Cantwell at Norwich and his dreadful attitude thinking he was Billy big balls.

I still find it bizarre that Clement starts him most weeks then starts Lawrence in 2 old firms in a row when he was dreadful in the first. Very scatter gun
Could be but we don't know that either re Cantwell so it's speculation.
My main worry is that the manager is a bit all over the place recently either in team selection or in his media interviews. I'm not saying he is the wrong man or anything just he hasn't reacted well to adversity in recent weeks.

Could be but we don't know that either re Cantwell so it's speculation.
My main worry is that the manager is a bit all over the place recently either in team selection or in his media interviews. I'm not saying he is the wrong man or anything just he hasn't reacted well to adversity in recent weeks.
I definitely agree that he's all over the place in recent weeks.

I have plenty complaints

He can actually produce some quality

Dio, lundstram, sterling, Raskin.. None of them score enough

Compare to their 3... They all get goals
We have a squad that regularly looks like they couldn't care less about winning. Our brand of football with these players (regardless of who has been manager) has been characteristically lacking urgency and effort. They are most comfortable as runners-up. If they occasionally looked determined to earn their wages I'm sure we would collectively have scored much more.

Cantwell's reputation amongst some of the support as creative and an attacking threat is hard to rationalise and is not supported by his numbers or performances. He won't be missed when he leaves.

He didn’t start because the manager doesn’t trust him to follow instructions off the ball and remain in the structure as a 10.

The mistake the manager made was not sticking Cantwell wide because for all his faults he can at least produce a bit of magic to get get Sterling in the midfield for his athleticism.

I’d play him wide left the last few games and that was his position predominantly at Norwich.

After today surely even pig headed Phil can see Todd’s way better than Tom Lawrence? I got the vibe from his press conference that Lundstram might make an appearance again when he clearly should not.
With half a squad out injured the gaffer would sound a bit stupid to.definitively rule anyone out of making an appearance in our.last few games. That said I suspect there are several he would only select again if he had no other options.

He can go, fed up with him tbh.
He will probably start on Tuesday night and look like Pirlo, standard for a lot of these players.

With half a squad out injured the gaffer would sound a bit stupid to.definitively rule anyone out of making an appearance in our.last few games. That said I suspect there are several he would only select again if he had no other options.
I hope you’re correct but I have my doubts. Raskin for scouse has to be better?

Back