It’s always the hope that kills you!

scottm

As the title says every season for the past 4-5 years bar the 55 season we always seem to fall at the penultimate fence.

I think if Clement had came in and dropped a few points in his first few games, the scum had a lead of a few points, then it wouldn't feel like it does now. Every Rangers fan got their hopes up that we were winning the league, that's why we're all feeling the way we feel at the moment.

I think if Clement had came in and dropped a few points in his first few games, the scum had a lead of a few points, then it wouldn't feel like it does now. Every Rangers fan got their hopes up that we were winning the league, that's why we're all feeling the way we feel at the moment.
After we beat hearts then Kilmarnock i genuinely thought “we are winning the league” you push all the negative thoughts you have about the players right out of your head.

To be fair, this is the closest we’ve got (outwith #55). Our title challenges since Gerrard fell away well before now.

What is making this worse is that Celtic are utter dross. We had them on the ropes prior to Christmas, Rodger’s under enormous pressure and we’ve let them off the hook.

Because of where Clement has got us to, this feels like a big opportunity missed.

After we beat hearts then Kilmarnock i genuinely thought “we are winning the league” you push all the negative thoughts you have about the players right out of your head.

I think it was Clement's 3rd or 4th game where we played Hearts, Danilo scored to win it in the 94th minute. I was thinking I was almost glad the manager seen, early doors, how these players react to adversity. I was almost thankful as it meant he would have seen straight away what would be required to sort this squad out.

Thankfully we won and for the next few months he, and the players, won the first league Cup in 12 years, qualified from the Europa Group, being the first team to beat Betis this season to get there, and clawed back 8 points to go ahead.

Even after all that I still had the fear we'd see the same collapse we've seen so often before. It feels like us fans aren't even angry at what's happening, more apathetic as this was expected.

Last edited:
It's been a weird season.

Started off under Beale poorly and went downhill until he was binned.
We had no hope, a broken team littered with 'serial losers' as they have and are being termed.

Clement comes in, unbelievably turns around our form and we win a cup, the scum falter and we take advantage. We also progress against the odds, to top our UEL group. Everything in the garden is rosy.

An OF defeat before New Year and we think right ok, not the end of the world and we move on.
We gathered some decent results (Kilmarnock & Hearts away) and you're thinking, Jesus we might actually be able to win this league. The scum are playing shite but they're picking up wins.

Then, Motherwell stun us at Ibrox and we think...okay wtf has happened here.
Slowly but surely the wheels start coming off and we end up where we are today.

League campain hanging on by a ball hair but realistically we've blew it.
We now face Hearts in the SC semi and they'll be right up for it.
Given our recent form, excuse me for having no faith now that we can even win this game.

From looking like a treble season to where we are right now.
A fucking disaster. Again.

To be fair, this is the closest we’ve got (outwith #55). Our title challenges since Gerrard fell away well before now.

What is making this worse is that Celtic are utter dross. We had them on the ropes prior to Christmas, Rodger’s under enormous pressure and we’ve let them off the hook.

Because of where Clement has got us to, this feels like a big opportunity missed.
The comfort blanket " Celtic are utter dross " they better than us, do you think Yahoo's care!!

We are stuck in a vicious circle of constantly pressing the reset button every season after asking a manager to come in and try to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. We can't keep doing it. Burning everything to the ground to start again approach doesn't work. I think we'll eventually fall foul of UEFAs FFP rules if we do which will be an utter disaster.

We need to give somebody time to build a squad over several windows. If your concern is Celtic are going to overtake the trophy haul then make your peace with it because it will likely happen if we keep going the way we are. It might be a case of some short term pain for long term gain.

There isn't a magic wand for a quick fix unfortunately.

It's been a weird season.

Started off under Beale poorly and went downhill until he was binned.
We had no hope, a broken team littered with 'serial losers' as they have and are being termed.

Clement comes in, unbelievably turns around our form and we win a cup, the scum falter and we take advantage. We also progress against the odds, to top our UEL group. Everything in the garden is rosy.

An OF defeat before New Year and we think right ok, not the end of the world and we move on.
We gathered some decent results (Kilmarnock & Hearts away) and you're thinking, Jesus we might actually be able to win this league. The scum are playing shite but they're picking up wins.

Then, Motherwell stun us at Ibrox and we think...okay wtf has happened here.
Slowly but surely the wheels start coming off and we end up where we are today.

League campain hanging on by a ball hair but realistically we've blew it.
We now face Hearts in the SC semi and they'll be right up for it.
Given our recent form, excuse me for having no faith now that we can even win this game.

From looking like a treble season to where we are right now.
A fucking disaster. Again.
A decent summary of this season.

Exactly why I wasn't getting too carried away recently, past experience would tell you with this core of players the kick to the stones was in the post and so it has proved.

Sad state of affairs that you can't allow yourself to believe and buy in but most of this squad has shown numerous times they cannot be trusted to deliver at the business end.

As the title says every season for the past 4-5 years bar the 55 season we always seem to fall at the penultimate fence.
This is the worst I've felt in the past few seasons. I always doubted we'd do it but secretly thought we had a real chance IF we could show the characteristics needed to win the league.
They have failed us all and it's a horrible feeling. (I know there is always hope but let's face it the home game against benefica was the start of the decline and we won't switch our form back on now).
Right now I'm searching for positives.

We are stuck in a vicious circle of constantly pressing the reset button every season after asking a manager to come in and try to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. We can't keep doing it. Burning everything to the ground to start again approach doesn't work. I think we'll eventually fall foul of UEFAs FFP rules if we do which will be an utter disaster.

We need to give somebody time to build a squad over several windows. If your concern is Celtic are going to overtake the trophy haul then make your peace with it because it will likely happen if we keep going the way we are. It might be a case of some short term pain for long term gain.

There isn't a magic wand for a quick fix unfortunately.
Agreed, but that person isn't Clement.

I think it was Clement's 3rd or 4th game where we played Hearts, Danilo scored to win it in the 94th minute. I was thinking I was almost glad the manager seen, early doors, how these players react to adversity. I was almost thankful as it meant he would have seen straight away what would be required to sort this squad out.

Thankfully we won and for the next few months he, and the players, won the first league Cup in 12 years, qualified from the Europa Group, being the first team to beat Betis this season to get there, and clawed back 8 points to go ahead.

Even after all that I still had the fear we'd see the same collapse we've seen so often before. It feels like us fans aren't even angry at what's happening, more apathetic as this was expected.
Summoned up well

The comfort blanket " Celtic are utter dross " they better than us, do you think Yahoo's care!!
It’s not a comfort blanket, it’s the realisation that Rangers are up against one of the poorest Celtic squads in recent years.

Their results have shown that, and we have failed to capitalise. Our job gets a lot tougher from now on if they finance a vastly improved squad. Given how CL qualification goes for Scottish Clubs in seasons after next, the implications on our ability to overhaul those smelly bastards are massive.

It’s not a comfort blanket, it’s the realisation that Rangers are up against one of the poorest Celtic squads in recent years.

Their results have shown that, and we have failed to capitalise. Our job gets a lot tougher from now on if they finance a vastly improved squad. Given how CL qualification goes for Scottish Clubs in seasons after next, the implications on our ability to overhaul those smelly bastards are massive.
I agree it's one of their poorest squads, but utter dross I think was strong they're not the best in recent years for sure, and yes we lose this race it's a long road back Hooty.

Absolutely.

If that's past two games had been earlier in Clements reign and we were 3 points behind just now we'd be delighted.

They gave us the hope though then snatched it away.

I agree it's one of their poorest squads, but utter dross I think was strong they're not the best in recent years for sure, and yes we lose this race it's a long road back Hooty.
Utter dross might have been hyperbole on my part, but players like Liam Scales FFS.

I hadn’t really allowed myself to believe we were winning the title – not because I expected this sort of collapse, but because there was barely anything between us and Celtic and I thought we might just fall short due to a bit of bad luck or a bad decision etc.

I had allowed myself to think we were beyond having to worry about motivation and determination to try to get us over the line though. I thought Clement had sorted that. I thought we’d at least now fight to keep it going for as long as we could. More fool me.

Here we are back with the same old lackadaisical self defeating shit show, with players retreating into their shells and the supporters with that bloody awful feeling of inevitability in the pit of our stomachs.

I genuinely can’t get my head round what the malaise at the club is. The same thing keeps happening regardless of manager and even following pretty significant player changes. What we’re currently in the middle of feels exactly like the collapse in the 19-20 season where we’d got ourselves into a good position but then a switch was flipped and we could then barely string a result together.

How on earth do we go from the team that thrashed Hearts a few weeks ago to this shambles?

Is the mentality that bad that any sort of set back bursts the bubble and all confidence and effort goes out the window?

I don’t tend to get angry at the team. Disappointed, frustrated, whatever (and even occasionally delighted) over the last few years but not angry.

Yesterday’s result has really pissed me off with them though. We deserved at least some fight and commitment and it just doesn’t seem to be there.​

Back