It’s not on the manager

G-Hallbear

I don’t start many threads but…

Clement has come in and inherited a bad lot, he’s over achieved with this squad if anything. I don’t for a second think he’s outside of criticism however the reality is the squad we have is inferior to theirs and you can add on to that the horrendous injuries we have had to key players, we’ve been treading water for months and punching well above our weigh but without the manager we’d have been dead and buried long before now.

Yes, it hurts but we’re only in a position where it hurts because of his efforts, not in spite imo. He’s squeezed every last drop out of a group that has ran its course long ago and even then it was never good enough, good servants need to be shipped and that’s sad but it’s necessary to progress. The fact this guy got a tune out of the shambles he inherited should be enough to encourage anyone with any doubt, This lot under Gio and Beale were miles and miles below standard in run of the mill games and we could all see it playing out that way and they got bagged rightly, but Clement is worth sticking by imo, we’re almost there and it’s murder at times but as a support we need to be patient. I believe this guy will deliver success, if he’s backed of course, and again I’ll reiterate he’s not above criticism but we need to alow him time to get it right. Today was on the players and far too many of the ones we’re supposed to rely on let us down again, stick with it bears and stick with the manager, he needs time and windows to sort this mess out, but it’ll come.

Fully expect abuse for this but bring it on.

Clement has come in and inherited a bad lot, he’s over achieved with this squad if anything. I don’t for a second think he’s outside of criticism however the reality is the squad we have is inferior to theirs and you can add on to that the horrendous injuries we have had to key players, we’ve been treading water for months and punching well above our weigh but without the manager we’d have been dead and buried long before now.

Yes, it hurts but we’re only in a position where it hurts because of his efforts, not in spite imo. He’s squeezed every last drop out of a group that has ran its course long ago and even then it was never good enough, good servants need to be shipped and that’s sad but it’s necessary to progress. The fact this guy got a tune out of the shambles he inherited should be enough to encourage anyone with any doubt, This lot under Gio and Beale were miles and miles below standard in run of the mill games and we could all see it playing out that way and they got bagged rightly, but Clement is worth sticking by imo, we’re almost there and it’s murder at times but as a support we need to be patient. I believe this guy will deliver success, if he’s backed of course, and again I’ll reiterate he’s not above criticism but we need to alow him time to get it right. Today was on the players and far too many of the ones we’re supposed to rely on let us down again, stick with it bears and stick with the manager, he needs time and windows to sort this mess out, but it’ll come.

Who is it on then?

Not all on him but he’s a big part of it. He’s not getting his big calls and selections right unfortunately and his structure has proved to be flawed in big games.

The poor start is a factor in our season, but the yahoos let us off the hook for that. Players and management have been utter sh*te when it really mattered at the business end of season.

Last edited:
We lost the league title when he sat down to pick his team for the last OF and included Wright and Lawrence.

The fact that he picked Lawrence again today just underlines the extent to which he’s not not understanding the assignment.

My personal opinion is that he won’t be a successful Rangers manager.

The players, repeatedly underperforming when we know they can do it against higher opposition. It’s a weak mentality which has set in through the squad. Gerrard had us beating them with arguably worse players.
100%

It's not all on the manager, but it's partly on the manager.

Big Phil now finds himself in a position where he's got a fair bit to do, to prove to a fairly large section of Rangers supporters that he's the man for the job.

Team selections, tactics and most importantly - results, have seen to that.

Pre-Ross County, I never thought I'd be saying that, but here we are.

We lost the league title when he sat down to pick his team for the last OF and included Wright and Lawrence.

The fact that he picked Lawrence again today just underlines the extent to which he’s not not understanding the assignment.

My personal opinion is that he won’t be a successful Rangers manager.
Its a great point his selection are getting poorer by the week

HE IS IN CHARGE ..... He picks the team , he decides tatics , he motivates them , he has them at half time and is on the touchine ....

He inherited a squad full of absolute dross and got little to play with in January.

Tactically he doesn’t seem to have done much differently against them which ultimately cost us a league title.

You can’t blame the guy for having to work with a squad of losers, but equally he has to take some responsibility for his poor team selections and tactics in these crucial games.

So every single old firm he's been in charge of we have given them a 2 0 lead

And every single game we have deployed the same old formation and tactics

And it's NOT on the manager?
Not his players, can only piss with the cock you’ve got. They have our number this season and we’re nowhere good enough but Clement has inherited that situation, not engineered it.

Can I seriously ask what has clement done to make u think he’s the man to take us forward ? He’s won one game that we didn’t expect to win away to betis however the style of play is awful his team selection and subs are awful granted he’s had a pile of shite to work with but %^*& me cos he beats the shite teams he’s some sort of messiah ?? He deserves the chance to get his own players in however I wouldn’t be shocked come October we’re questioning the gaffer .

Who watched our 2 man midfield get dominated by their 3 man midfield twice, then picked a 2 man midfield again today and watched them get dominated by their 3 man midfield again, until one of them scored the opening goal?

Meanwhile a guy who could've made it a more solid, energetic, 3 man midfield to match up to them was wasted out on the wing, while 2 wingers sat on the bench.

Who was it that picked that and why is it not his fault? Open your eyes man.

Not his players, can only piss with the cock you’ve got. They have our number this season and we’re nowhere good enough but Clement has inherited that situation, not engineered it.
He doesn't help himself deploying people like Lawrence when we are crying out for sterling in the middle

He has failed to show he has learned anything from previous defeats imo

I'm still harking back to the game, (can't remember who against (Ross County?) when Sterling was dropped after excelling in previous game (tims?) Very strange decision but, although he's not solely to blame, I believe he has to answer that decision.

You'd have been better starting this tommorow to many have got their session heads on and have got the pitchforks out.

Watch them change there tune on the manager if we win the cup.

Yes it is.
He picks the wrong players in the wrong positions, the wrong starting lineup and the wrong gameplan most weeks, against the lesser teams you can get away with that then change it throughout the game, against the likes of our main rivals you get found out as it's too late to change it.

Yes, the manager has a squad full of terrible players to pick from but we're yet to see what tactics/style of play he's trying to have the team play. Even if the players aren't his, he should be able to have them playing the way he wants us to play.

Yes it is.
He picks the wrong players in the wrong positions, the wrong starting lineup and the wrong gameplan most weeks, against the lesser teams you can get away with that then change it throughout the game, against the likes of our main rivals you get found out as it's too late to change it

We didn’t need to win today.

Isn’t that what he said?

I really want him to succeed but Souttar and silva off, wright and Raskin in? With Cantwell on the bench.

I’m sure he knows more than all of us together about footy. But for %^*& sake.

There were threads on here during the week saying we had to shore up the midfield. I doubt that was Klopp and Mourinho logging in to post. It was bloody obvious to anyone who’s watched an OF game.

Clement doesn’t and they spend the first half an hour strolling onto free shots at the edge of our box. We didn’t lay a glove on O’Reilly and didn’t touch McGregor until Raskin came on.

Whilst he needs his own players and rightly should be given this time and next season.
Every man and his dog could have predicted, Lawrence being off pace and Barisic being roasted & subbed early doors.
The fact he has decided on the definition of insanity by doing this again, is very concerning.

After Rodgers comments prior to the game our players should've been raring to go, we were lucky we weren't one down in the first minute.

He’s done better than Beale, bought himself some time but let’s face it some of his decisions have been questionable at best. His refusal to play a midfield 3 leaves us wide open, his shoehorning of players into ‘wide’ positions that provide zero width is again just a little odd.

He needs to be far more flexible next season.

Aye it is. And Alex Rae and the goalkeeping coach who all of a sudden seems to have a big input. They’d better win the cup or the knives will be out.

He loses the cup final then for me he is effectively one game from the sack, because if we lose the game against them in August that will be 4 defeat in 5 and no wins.

He wont survive that imo, not saying thats right or wrong just the way i think it will be.

I really hope we can win this cup final but i dont think hes got the tactical nous or ability to pick the right team against them.

Alarm bells are ringing for me, with our lack of structural setup and shape out of possession.

We al know a lot of the players arent good enough and that doesnt help him, if he wins cup goes into summer with 2 trophies in bag and some credit.

Thinking the manager has had a stinker over the past 5 weeks including several team selections or quotes in interviews doesn't mean people want rid of him.

He's here for the long haul and hopefully he's successful. But anyone thinking continually not getting a result against that mob and he won't face criticism or pressure isn't living in the real world.

We didn’t need to win today.

Isn’t that what he said?

I really want him to succeed but Souttar and silva off, wright and Raskin in? With Cantwell on the bench.

I’m sure he knows more than all of us together about footy. But for %^*& sake.
I think he made out clear that putting Todd into a 10 man slog wouldn’t help! Seems about right to me. Had no choice with Souttar. He is partially to blame, but our squad is weak in many ways…ability, physically and mentally. Difficult to win from that base.

It's not all on the manager, but it's partly on the manager.

Big Phil now finds himself in a position where he's got a fair bit to do, to prove to a fairly large section of Rangers supporters that he's the man for the job.

Team selections, tactics and most importantly - results, have seen to that.

Pre-Ross County, I never thought I'd be saying that, but here we are.
I think you’ve made a very astute post w.

Like yourself, pre- Ross County I was reasonably confident, bearing in mind we’d been cheated in the OF games and the Jungles were far from a great team. But we’ve imploded since.

I honestly think we’ve got to give the guy a transfer window.

Ffs, he is just in the door. A squad he inherited, hamstrung with injuries. Won a cup, chance to win a 2nd cup.

I'm with you OP.

At the end of the season Op he needs to address injuries. He needs to get certain players in his office, and simply say. If you want to play for Rangers, you must stay fit.

If you don't have the mentality to play for the jersey/fans. Then gtf, and find another club. Do not sponge wages, if you aint up for it, tell me now.

Next season we do not need shitebags and wage stealers. Sort that out and we have a chance.

Back