It’s not on the manager

The stuff on here about the manager has been mental, reminds me of Man Utd fans wanting to sack Ten Hag even though it's the players downing fuckin tools time and time again and being mercenaries out for themselves.

If you got a new manager in right now (and %^*& knows who) he'd demand to keep dross players we want rid of because of the ego of thinking he can get a tune out of them.

True however the manager picks the players. As I say there's always an excuse however Clement has shown he can't win against Celtic and until he does the pressure will intensifie.
The manager picks the players, but we have Pep and we still lose as our fit players are nowhere near good enough. Think about it. We had: Yilmaz, Souttar, Balogun, Goldson, Jack, Sima, Matondo, Cortes and Danilo all out today or couldn’t start. Imagine taking out the following players from Celtic: Taylor, CCV, Scales, their sub centre half, McGregor, Maeda, their sub left winger, their third choice left winger and Kyogo. Would we have a better chance of winning? Of course we do. Our problems are much deeper than swapping Sterling into the middle of the park.

After Rodgers comments prior to the game our players should've been raring to go, we were lucky we weren't one down in the first minute.
This has been a recurring theme recently, opposition nearly scoring in the first minute or so.

In his 3 games against them we have went 2 0 down in them all.

To win these games we need to start keeping clean sheets and we are gifting goals.

The stuff on here about the manager has been mental, reminds me of Man Utd fans wanting to sack Ten Hag even though it's the players downing fuckin tools time and time again and being mercenaries out for themselves.

If you got a new manager in right now (and %^*& knows who) he'd demand to keep dross players we want rid of because of the ego of thinking he can get a tune out of them.

The same people would have gifted the Tims 10 in a row by sacking Gerrard the season before we won the league.

It’s not all on him

But he chose to go with Lawrence who’s legs are gone for two OF games in a row rather than getting energy into the midfield which every single bear I know knew we needed

That he couldn’t see that has chalked up a few red flags for me
He went with Lawrence as he is a bigger goal threat than Cantwell. Who plays right mid if Sterling is moved central? The majority on here are saying McCausland and Wright are not good enough.

He has got things wrong at times but surely you can see his options are limited?

So every single old firm he's been in charge of we have given them a 2 0 lead

And every single game we have deployed the same old formation and tactics

And it's NOT on the manager?
A manager can put out a team but shouldn’t be seeing players bmaking basic errors that lead to goals. Thats on the players and not the manager

The manager picks the players, but we have Pep and we still lose as our fit players are nowhere near good enough. Think about it. We had: Yilmaz, Souttar, Balogun, Goldson, Jack, Sima, Matondo, Cortes and Danilo all out today or couldn’t start. Imagine taking out the following players from Celtic: Taylor, CCV, Scales, their sub centre half, McGregor, Maeda, their sub left winger, their third choice left winger and Kyogo. Would we have a better chance of winning? Of course we do. Our problems are much deeper than swapping Sterling into the middle of the park.
As I said always an excuse what's the excuse for failing to beat them throughout the season.

You have three goes at something and fail every time, but it isn’t your fault Really? Not having that.

McInnes and Naismith have got the better of them twice this season, each. With players most of us would turn our noses up at.

Nope, it’s not good enough.
There is the problem, If our players can't get up for killie and hearts, and think we can deedle dawdle about, (no pun intended), Then we have a problem. Titles are not won by beating celtic, titles are won by taking care of killie and hearts etc, especially away. then holding your own against celtic.

Ross county and Dundee fkd us. Players thinking they are world beaters and only need to turn up.

Fk that,, thats when you go in to battle and prove your worth.

Complacency gets you what you deserve, fk all. The manager will be judged on who e clears out, and brings in for nxt season.

I don’t start many threads but…

Clement has come in and inherited a bad lot, he’s over achieved with this squad if anything. I don’t for a second think he’s outside of criticism however the reality is the squad we have is inferior to theirs and you can add on to that the horrendous injuries we have had to key players, we’ve been treading water for months and punching well above our weigh but without the manager we’d have been dead and buried long before now.

Yes, it hurts but we’re only in a position where it hurts because of his efforts, not in spite imo. He’s squeezed every last drop out of a group that has ran its course long ago and even then it was never good enough, good servants need to be shipped and that’s sad but it’s necessary to progress. The fact this guy got a tune out of the shambles he inherited should be enough to encourage anyone with any doubt, This lot under Gio and Beale were miles and miles below standard in run of the mill games and we could all see it playing out that way and they got bagged rightly, but Clement is worth sticking by imo, we’re almost there and it’s murder at times but as a support we need to be patient. I believe this guy will deliver success, if he’s backed of course, and again I’ll reiterate he’s not above criticism but we need to alow him time to get it right. Today was on the players and far too many of the ones we’re supposed to rely on let us down again, stick with it bears and stick with the manager, he needs time and windows to sort this mess out, but it’ll come.

Fully expect abuse for this but bring it on.
His starting line up each time we've played the scum is on Clement. No one else.

He went with Lawrence as he is a bigger goal threat than Cantwell. Who plays right mid if Sterling is moved central? The majority on here are saying McCausland and Wright are not good enough.

He has got things wrong at times but surely you can see his options are limited?
It is right forward not right mid and he could have played anyone there from McCausland , Wright , Cantwell even Lawrence .
Point is he had to win the midfield battle with Sterling in there.
That is what is bewildering and raising a massive red flag.

He inherited a squad full of absolute dross and got little to play with in January.

Tactically he doesn’t seem to have done much differently against them which ultimately cost us a league title.

You can’t blame the guy for having to work with a squad of losers, but equally he has to take some responsibility for his poor team selections and tactics in these crucial games.
A few points on the manager for me. Firstly he’s done a good job to turn around what he came into and get us to showing half decent performances and win a cup like we have. However, it was pointed out that previously in Belgium he struggled over the line in the play off section after doing great to get the team ahead - it seems familiar grey to get back in it but surrendered what we had with a whimper pretty much. The team selection and tactics have been the same for every old firm game and it’s seen the same outcome - is he learning. Team selection perhaps he’s not had much choice but the same awfulness has been served up for a couple years from the same 4-5 players why has he persisted with them? We’ve had talk of a mentality required and being worked on within the squad yet every old firm game we’ve seen only a defeated and weak mentality and nothings changed. He’s stuck by the players while they’ve served up gutless performance in old firm games without much criticism. He has to take some of the blame for that and he has to start learning.

In his defence injuries have severely limited him and likely a fully fit squad would’ve seen a different line up at least. He’s not really signed anyone or had a preseason so next season is where he’s to be judged. If we see the same crap served up again then he’s not the man. If he learns and we see some of that mentality he talks about come in then maybe he will take us to a winning place.

He keeps picking the same players having absolutely atrocious games. Even when there are other options he still picks them. He has played a big part.

Go back and look at the timeline of what happened in Monaco. Huge warning signs about the manager. Team selection all over the place, erratic interviews that contradicted themselves and then complete underachievement. Seems like this has what is mabye started to unfold here.

Last edited:
Whether it's fair or not, if we lose the cup final the board will have their doubts over handing him £10 - £15m.

He hasn't started well in OF games and that's difficult to turn around.

As I said always an excuse what's the excuse for failing to beat them throughout the season.
The reason, not excuse, is we have a systemic failure in sports science, scouting and recruitment. Folk saying it’s a tweak of the tactics are living in cuckoo land. It’s MUCH deeper.

Can I add to that - the CRAZY decision to let contracts run down so that we’re in a a position where we are starting 2 guys who are leaving in 3 weeks time. Systemic structural failure.

We have picked up 14 points from the last 27 points available.
That for any Rangers fan has to have alarm bells ringing no matter who's players Clement has inherited.
Clement needs to take his share of responsibility for that points tally.
I think if fans could see a style of play there would be something to cling on to but right now there is absolutely nothing and yes he needs time but by his own actions and our performances & results he isn't doing the job of giving himself time.
We can all debate how long he should be given but 2 things that will see him out of a job is if our results & performances v them don't change & there is a continued refusal from Clement to learn from his mistakes

HE IS IN CHARGE ..... He picks the team , he decides tatics , he motivates them , he has them at half time and is on the touchine ....
We should have done them at Ibrox. Everyone when they seen that team selection said WTAF? Since then he has made mind boggling selections, played players well out their comfort zone (sometimes by necessity TBF), had unrecognizable tactics and made subs that defy logic. WE had a lifeline, a simple task and we absolutely made a howling chunt of it. We had it in our own hands and shat the bed. Why, however, did these same players who seemed to be on a roll, spirits lifted, full of confidence, all of a sudden look like they were playing Beale Ball. Simple for me we seen changes that made no sense. We knew what was needed to be done, just keep playing the same way but they didn't and the tactics looked all off and, for me anyway, it looked a bit like a manager being pig headed (Cantwell today is prime example) . He's not fully to blame but it's clear he did something to change it all. I'm still at a loss why we played Diomande (for me he's weak and disinterested at times) left out Cantwell (desperate to have a go) Raskin (who had been left in the cold but had metal required for these games) cannot play Sterling in a settled position etc etc...... that's on the manager. We all watch we all know what's needed yet the manager who has all the certificates etc makes the calls and mistakes after mistake. We just live with it. I just want a blue nose who gets it. I'm fed up with the new age thinking football. I want steel passion and a No Surrender attitude, that stems from the manager. That's a long rant, sorry but in closing I seen the usual Jock Wallace get the battle fever on post today. That battle fever is gone, lost and until we rediscover it we will just be another team of SPFL losers

Last edited:
Everyone pinning the blame on Clement needs to think about this first. He's put his trust in players expecting them to perform and do they? No, far from it. Its been a running trend of the same players having a good run of form to impress the new manager and then returning back to the standard form a few months after the fact. I'd give Clement and Nils a summer to refresh the squad and get to the bottom of the injury issue.

Also, i'm not saying he hasn't got the share of the blame but the players take majority of it.

Last edited:
The players, repeatedly underperforming when we know they can do it against higher opposition. It’s a weak mentality which has set in through the squad. Gerrard had us beating them with arguably worse players.
WHAT?

The team Gerrard had was vastly better than this one. Look at the midfield for starters. They also had the star quality in Ryan Kent, who made a huge difference.

I don’t think these players are underperforming at all. They’re just not good enough.

On the face of it he has had 3 derbies and learnt not a thing. Could be he is hindered by squad quality and injuries but his team selections and tactics are questionable

He needs to be given a summer to put his own team out but the signs are not good

WHAT?

The team Gerrard had was vastly better than this one. Look at the midfield for starters. They also had the star quality in Ryan Kent, who made a huge difference.

I don’t think these players are underperforming at all. They’re just not good enough.

Gerrard's first win had Halliday at left back, Jack, Arfield and McCrorie in midfield and Candeias running in a straight line up and down the right wing. Our two subs that day were Flanagan and Coulibaly.

Not convinced. Tactics and team selections have been wrong on many occasions. The manner we start games is terrible and never changes. He seems happy enough post-match in some games we’ve been abysmal in.

Lose the cup final and he’s no credibility in the bank

OP is spot on

We have too many bottlers in the squad

Today we genuinely shat it

That Lundstram OG was pathetic

Lundstram red card was avoidable but he dived in and caught the player above the ankle so red card was right

Time we overhauled the squad and ditches the current experienced player model and moved on Tav Goldson ( Lundstram Barisic ) both OOC

The shi@e he had inherited.

No budget in Jan but beale got keys to kingdom. The board didn't expect us to be in the race, he over achieved
So we expected to give them another £60m of a head start. Beale was sacked because he fell to far behind.

He did remarkably well for a few months

It's now apparent that he's not without fault.

His fascination with Silva, Borna, Lundstram for example and playing Sterling everywhere except where he's most effective. Injury forces him to pick duds. He could have tried something else.

The formation is too predictable and we are too soft and slow..not all that is on him.

Lawrence won't do either.

We've about 5.or 6.players fit for purpose. Beale wasted so much resource.

Gerrard's first win had Halliday at left back, Jack, Arfield and McCrorie in midfield and Candeias running in a straight line up and down the right wing. Our two subs that day were Flanagan and Coulibaly.
It also had Ryan Kent, who has caused them more damage than anyone over the past 12 years, and Morelos.

A fit Jack and Arfield of 2018 is arguably better than what we have now.

Every Gerrard win after that first (and possibly second) contained better players than what we have today. We were also a better team in terms of set-up.

He can’t be absolved of all blame. He’s being paid to win us games. To coach and train the players he has at his disposal to be better. He got a break with the players in Jan and we’ve regressed since then. There’s little to no flexibility to his approach either.

He’s not to blame solely, but to say he’s not to blame at all is head in the sand stuff.

not one player has improved under his management. He doesn't seem to have a style. He's already under pressure.

He picks the team, he signs the players, he picks the tactics. Who is it on then?

I know people will say he inherited a poor team, he had the chance to sign some players in January. He brought in 3 loans and none of them have set the heather alight.

It also had Ryan Kent, who has caused them more damage than anyone over the past 12 years, and Morelos.

A fit Jack and Arfield of 2018 is arguably better than what we have now.

Every Gerrard win after that first (and possibly second) contained better players than what we have today. We were also a better team in terms of set-up.

Ryan Kent was a 22 year old nobody when he ripped Lustig to bits that day.

Morelos had as many OF goals as Dessers did before today as well.

Yep. I'd put a fair bit of money on that.

Marvin the Paranoid Android from Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy has a sunnier outlook on life than you

I think you are quite enjoying Rangers form falling off a cliff going by your posts

I take it we are now following the Watford model and going for 3 Managers a season

Ffs, he is just in the door. A squad he inherited, hamstrung with injuries. Won a cup, chance to win a 2nd cup.

I'm with you OP.

At the end of the season Op he needs to address injuries. He needs to get certain players in his office, and simply say. If you want to play for Rangers, you must stay fit.

If you don't have the mentality to play for the jersey/fans. Then gtf, and find another club. Do not sponge wages, if you aint up for it, tell me now.

Next season we do not need shitebags and wage stealers. Sort that out and we have a chance.
Agree with you 100% but would add we need supporters supporting the team not the element who seem to turn on our players at a whim.

The warning signs are there again with this manager same way it has been with the last two gerrard being the exception. If he continues with the same core group next season he will be like the resy out the door before xmas. The players are serial losers but the club top to bottom something is not right and hasnt been for a long time and we are for me at the point i cant ever see us being the rangers a grew up watching and winning consistantly year in year out or having the period of domination for few years and vice versa just go out with a whimper and pull off an odd league win every so often. Something needs sorted within the club very quickly as the rangers mentality installed from the souness era and continued on for going on 30 years has gone

Back