It’s not on the manager

Beale left us woefully short in forward area. Clement was unlucky with Cortes injury.

However, when his job is to get the most from what is available to him, it’s now clear he’s falllen short of that. Team selections and tactics vs Celtic and others (particularly Ross County) have cost us the opportunity to win this title.

Watch McInnes set up his Killie side on Wednesday and likely get some form of result.

The fact is in this league - if you can play with reasonably good structure, tactics, work rate and combine that with better players you win the majority of games.

Clement had the new manager bounce but since February we have been absolutely terrible with baffling team selections and tactics.

I am still perplexed at his decision not to change it at h/t vs County when every man and his dog could see where the game was heading.
He doesn’t have the tactical nous to change the game with a change of shape or tactics. He sticks to the same setup up no matter what. Long balls not working? Let’s make a few subs and hope the long balls work better with them.

I was led to believe Clement was the type of manager that plays all different formations to suit what he has at his disposal. I’ve not seen one bit of evidence of this from his time so far and yesterday was the biggest red flag as soon as the starting lineup came out.

And what happens once PC guts the squad and the serial losers are gone but performances and results are still garbage? Is that not on him either?

I would say PC has got more wrong than right since taking over.

Of course it would be on the Manager, conversely PC gets to build his squad and the performances and results get better

we have to give the Manager an opportunity to build his squad or what's the point in hiring and firing any Manager

So we expected to give them another £60m of a head start. Beale was sacked because he fell to far behind.
We need to stop focusing on the finances, because there’s a chance that we’ll NEVER catch them financially now.

We need to be clever in the window and they’ll eventually need to have a couple of consecutive bad windows.

But ultimately, it doesn’t matter - if the manager’s going to keep playing serial failures and only play one way, it’s all irrelevant.

He doesn’t have the tactical nous to change the game with a change of shape or tactics. He sticks to the same setup up no matter what. Long balls not working? Let’s make a few subs and hope the long balls work better with them.

I was led to believe Clement was the type of manager that plays all different formations to suit what he has at his disposal. I’ve not seen one bit of evidence of this from his time so far and yesterday was the biggest red flag as soon as the starting lineup came out.
Yeah, that’s my concern just now.

We’re genuinely at the point where you have fans ridiculing other fans - on here at least - for suggesting alternative formations occasionally, that’s how embarrassing it is.

Yeah, that’s my concern just now.

We’re genuinely at the point where you have fans ridiculing other fans - on here at least - for suggesting alternative formations occasionally, that’s how embarrassing it is.
Nobody on here can honestly say they were happy with that starting lineup and going with Lawrence as a 10 and Sterling RW. Absolutely nobody wanted that team. The game was lost before a ball was kicked.

Last October we would have gladly binned that whole team maybe apart from butland along with beale, management came in and picked up the first trophy and has took us to the last 4 games of the season where it was still possible to win it all with the same group we've always known weren't good enough, now some want him gone as well ffs

We need to stop focusing on the finances, because there’s a chance that we’ll NEVER catch them financially now.

We need to be clever in the window and they’ll eventually need to have a couple of consecutive bad windows.

But ultimately, it doesn’t matter - if the manager’s going to keep playing serial failures and only play one way, it’s all irrelevant.
I get that but we had a huge opportunity to bridge the gap financially and again we failed to do so.

Clement needs to accept some responsibility for losing the title having got us into that position. Team selections & tactics at times have been questionable to say the least.

However universally we all agreed when he came in this was a squad of serial losers, championship jobbers who lacked the bollocks to play for this club. The squad was a disjointed mess and lacking real quality throughout particularly in the forward line. They were and remain unfit and the injury crisis is one never seen before. Three signings in Jan wasn’t fixing that cluster feck of a mess.

Losing both Cortes & Sima and Ridvans inability to stay fit has fecked us. Absolutely killed us.

Clement has undoubtedly made mistakes but he is being expected to beat the Tim’s with a squad akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight. Regardless of selection yesterday there were too many in that squad who have shat the bed far too many times before

I’m fuming today but still backing him. He needs to gut that squad though

Clement needs to accept some responsibility for losing the title having got us into that position. Team selections & tactics at times have been questionable to say the least.

However universally we all agreed when he came in this was a squad of serial losers, championship jobbers who lacked the bollocks to play for this club. The squad was a disjointed mess and lacking real quality throughout particularly in the forward line. They were and remain unfit and the injury crisis is one never seen before. Three signings in Jan wasn’t fixing that cluster feck of a mess.

Losing both Cortes & Sima and Ridvans inability to stay fit has fecked us. Absolutely killed us.

Clement has undoubtedly made mistakes but he is being expected to beat the Tim’s with a squad akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight. Regardless of selection yesterday there were too many in that squad who have shat the bed far too many times before

I’m fuming today but still backing him. He needs to gut that squad though
Clements record as a manager shows that pretty much every season it goes to shit in the final stages. Fortunately for him it wasn’t enough to lose the league on 3 of those occasions but it’s strange how it has been a common theme at every club he has managed.

My concern is if we back him and then this time next season we are saying the exact same about a different manager.

Clement hasn’t shown enough for me to suggest he should be backed to bring in a full new team to win the title. He has shown he isn’t flexible tactically and won’t change to suit personnel at his disposal. Too many red flags for me.

How has he overachieved? I don't think anyone can look at the drop points record and say he has been better than Beale, when Beale was also able to beat them, dead rubber or not. Beale was criticised for losing 'the big games', Clement has been the same in the league, plus he drops to the dross.

Beale: Celtic D, Celtic L, Hearts D, Kilmarnock L, Celtic L, Aberdeen L

Clement: Aberdeen D, Celtic L, Motherwell L, Celtic D, Ross County L, Dundee D, Celtic L

We're walking into the same situation as Gio and Beale, ignoring the huge red flags because 'he needs his own players'.
Did Beale have as many injuries? Did Gio… catch a grip of yourself

Our manager looks like an empty shirt just now, that's a concern. his tactics look horrendous and the squad are not only not responded to him but look as if they are trying to get rid of him.

In his defence what can he do about Barisic, Lundstram Goldson and Tav not doing the basics in defending over the last few months.

Depressing all round.

Our manager looks like an empty shirt just now, that's a concern. his tactics look horrendous and the squad are not only not responded to him but look as if they are trying to get rid of him.

In his defence what can he do about Barisic, Lundstram Goldson and Tav not doing the basics in defending over the last few months.

Depressing all round.
He could have started Ridvan yesterday but has an obsession with players having to be absolutely 100% fit to start. He could have dropped Goldson ages ago but waited until it was too late. He could have started a midfield 3 yesterday that wouldn’t have left Lundstram and Diomande isolated and overrun against 3 players.

There is a lot he could have done tbh.

He can't trust most of the players available to him to give 100% or to follow instructions. The squad needs major surgery before we start worrying about the tactical nouse of a guy that has won several league titles.

Agree that a lot of players arent good enough but still have concerns about the manager.

He needs to find a formula to win the cup final or i dont think he will last long.

Lose the cup final and hes under massive pressure going into 1st game against them next season quite a similar situation to what Gio and Beale got themselves into.

Gio won the Scottish Cup and took us to the Europa League Final

Was saying this to a mate last night Gio done better than Clement and got the sack for a poor run that Clement is on now is it 4 wins in 12.

Gio won a cup, beat celtic (once) and beat teams like Dortmund, Braga, Red Star, Liepzig and PSV and got us to 89 points.

What cost Gio and Beale their jobs was failure to beat celtic when it mattered and Clements following a similar pattern.

He needs to win this cup final to buy himself some credit in the bank as if he loses it then I think hes effectively one game from the sack as would mean another defeat against them in August and fans wont accept that.

I hope he can come up with a plan to win the final give us some hope over summer.

Was saying this to a mate last night Gio done better than Clement and got the sack for a poor run that Clement is on now is it 4 wins in 12.

Gio won a cup, beat celtic (once) and beat teams like Dortmund, Braga, Red Star, Liepzig and PSV and got us to 89 points.

What cost Gio and Beale their jobs was failure to beat celtic when it mattered and Clements following a similar pattern.

He needs to win this cup final to buy himself some credit in the bank as if he loses it then I think hes effectively one game from the sack as would mean another defeat against them in August and fans wont accept that.

I hope he can come up with a plan to win the final give us some hope over summer.
The board needs to step up and ensure there is sufficient funds that enable a proper rebuild.

The board has to be ruthless by getting rid of the vast majority of our squad as it’s nowhere near the level required.

Koppen has been brought in as head of recruitment, let’s hope he is competent as we can’t continue in this cycle of horrendous recruitment.

That mob are now on 54 titles and are now going for the title to equal us.

The humiliation is almost complete

The board needs to step up and ensure there is sufficient funds that enable a proper rebuild.

The board has to be ruthless by getting rid of the vast majority of our squad as it’s nowhere near the level required.

Koppen has been brought in as head of recruitment, let’s hope he is competent as we can’t continue in this cycle of horrendous recruitment.

That mob are now on 54 titles and are now going for the title to equal us.

The humiliation is almost complete

Recruitment has to be smart if you look at the majority of the last team that won the league we picked most them up for buttons, Morelos, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Arfield,Barisic Kamara, Tav etc.

It can be done and might take 1/2 windows but we need a manager that can improve players and has a way of playing that suits the players.

Am not sure Clement is either he needs to win cup final.

If the manager can't see the problems at right back and midfield by continuing to pick the players who lack effort and quality. It's on his shoulders.

Injuries have done us.

Even having Sima and Cortes fit would’ve made a huge different yesterday, not to mention the rest of them who are on the treatment table, or even guys like Yilmaz who are just back from injury.

We simply have to get to the bottom of why we have so many injuries. Could be so many things - signing injury prone players, old players, running some players into the ground, poor pre-season fitness, poor recovery, not enough caffeine. I don’t know, could be all of them. But during 55 I’m sure we never had this number of injuries, so we were doing something right then, beside winning.

Reactions: ao2
I don’t start many threads but…

Clement has come in and inherited a bad lot, he’s over achieved with this squad if anything. I don’t for a second think he’s outside of criticism however the reality is the squad we have is inferior to theirs and you can add on to that the horrendous injuries we have had to key players, we’ve been treading water for months and punching well above our weigh but without the manager we’d have been dead and buried long before now.

Yes, it hurts but we’re only in a position where it hurts because of his efforts, not in spite imo. He’s squeezed every last drop out of a group that has ran its course long ago and even then it was never good enough, good servants need to be shipped and that’s sad but it’s necessary to progress. The fact this guy got a tune out of the shambles he inherited should be enough to encourage anyone with any doubt, This lot under Gio and Beale were miles and miles below standard in run of the mill games and we could all see it playing out that way and they got bagged rightly, but Clement is worth sticking by imo, we’re almost there and it’s murder at times but as a support we need to be patient. I believe this guy will deliver success, if he’s backed of course, and again I’ll reiterate he’s not above criticism but we need to alow him time to get it right. Today was on the players and far too many of the ones we’re supposed to rely on let us down again, stick with it bears and stick with the manager, he needs time and windows to sort this mess out, but it’ll come.

Fully expect abuse for this but bring it on.
It is on the manager! He has presided over the diminution of our form over the most important part of the season. It seems clear that, let’s just say, that the dressing room isn’t fully together. The manager seems to lack a plan B, he fails to see that sterling is our most dominating midfielder and plays him everywhere barring his best position…not bringing on a centre half and putting sterling at centre half, cost us any reasonable chance of getting anything against a very poor filth side.

His treatment of Cantwell seems to be a tad divisive and his failure to to introduce a curve ball for this game were both telling factors. Too risk averse, given our lack of width, why not have the lad Stevens on the bench and or Nsio, these boys need to get their chance soon or they’ll be off. The managers trust in those who consistently let him down is risible as is his fawning friendliness with our opponents.

He is too nice, we are too nice as a club, each is a symptom of the other…the filth players don’t want to be our mates, they hate us and we afford them the latitude to treat us with utter contempt. We are weak from the boardroom to the dressing room and everywhere in between, until we reinstate ‘Rangers men’ in the key positions this will continue.

Had we beat Ross county and Dundee we may well have won the league, but our club has allowed the SFA and its cabal of filth oriented referees to dictate the major decision making in favour of the filth in every head to head to a point where we don’t expect any better, preferring to roll over and have our tummy tickled…the proportion of filth supporting refs based on the demographic of Scotland, is not inadvertent, it is planned!

Clement is under pressure because he and the club are too nice and acceptant of much of the above.

Last edited:
I'm all for waiting till I see what we get from Clement next season ,but if he fails to even get close to them next season he'll be checking his desk for his p45.

Fully belind the gaffer.....this constant rotation of managers can't go on.
He isn't perfect but he's the best we've had so he is due a couple of windows to get his own squad on the park.

Clement deserves an opportunity to build his own team and be judged on what transpires after that.

However his immediate problem is that NO Rangers manager has ever survived not beating the rattlers.

I know that the results are all that matter, especially in OF games but the 2 games we have played at the chamber of secrets we have done so with 10 players. Both games we have lost by a single goal and were unlucky not to get an equaliser towards the end and actually finished both strongly. Hopefully we can have a few players back for the final and we can finish the season with 2 cups and a win over them.

I still think he will win the league next season once he gets a full pre season, more of his own players and some of the players who have been here too long are leaving.

Clement has come in and inherited a bad lot, he’s over achieved with this squad if anything. I don’t for a second think he’s outside of criticism however the reality is the squad we have is inferior to theirs and you can add on to that the horrendous injuries we have had to key players, we’ve been treading water for months and punching well above our weigh but without the manager we’d have been dead and buried long before now.

Yes, it hurts but we’re only in a position where it hurts because of his efforts, not in spite imo. He’s squeezed every last drop out of a group that has ran its course long ago and even then it was never good enough, good servants need to be shipped and that’s sad but it’s necessary to progress. The fact this guy got a tune out of the shambles he inherited should be enough to encourage anyone with any doubt, This lot under Gio and Beale were miles and miles below standard in run of the mill games and we could all see it playing out that way and they got bagged rightly, but Clement is worth sticking by imo, we’re almost there and it’s murder at times but as a support we need to be patient. I believe this guy will deliver success, if he’s backed of course, and again I’ll reiterate he’s not above criticism but we need to alow him time to get it right. Today was on the players and far too many of the ones we’re supposed to rely on let us down again, stick with it bears and stick with the manager, he needs time and windows to sort this mess out, but it’ll come.

So what happens if we lose the cup final?

Who will be to blame?

I'm all for waiting till I see what we get from Clement next season ,but if he fails to even get close to them next season he'll be checking his desk for his p45.
That's the issue here, we are all waiting to see what we get from him next season as so far he has given us absolutely nothing to be positive about with regards to his management & it is really really worrying.
We have no style of play.
We are overly negative.
We seem unable to change the pattern of a game.

No matter our injury situation none of the above should be the case after the number of months Clement has been in charge.

Did Beale have as many injuries? Did Gio… catch a grip of yourself

At points, yes they did, actually worse. Our injury problems go back a few years now. People have very short memories on here. At one point GVB had 14 senior players 'definitely available'.

Who was out yesterday? Sima, Cortes, Goldson, Jack, Danilo, and Dowell.

Just from a quick Google:

Beale in September when it was clear he would be sacked- Cantwell, Raskin, Lawrence, Danilo, Jack, Dowell, and Matondo

Gio when sacked- Souttar, Lawrence, Yilmaz,. Going into first OF of 22/23- Souttar, Davies, Hellander. CL games Goldson, Jack, Roofe, Hagi, and Helander.

Gio was playing King from the academy in Champions League games because of injuries. We had as many injuries under him as Celtic when they brought the break forward.
The Times label Gio's spell as unravelling due to being 'blighted by injuries'.

We went through all these excuses with the previous managers, it's like we never learn.

It's on the manager this last few months. Terrible selection and terrible tactics. We should at least be pumping teams in the bottom six

Playing Lundstram and Borna who have called it in and are clearly going through the motions at best isn't on the Manager?

Let's try binning Clement, his CV of actually winning trophies and league titles isn't really what's needed.

Let's try keeping the losers and seeing if they can turn it around.

The issue is that, what he has at his disposal, is limited in quality and decimated by injuries. You can only field the players you have available and if they don't have the quality to do what you want them to do then you have a problem.

So we need to see whether Clement rebuilds the squad and how he rebuilds it within the financial constraints he has.

The issue is that, what he has at his disposal, is limited in quality and decimated by injuries. You can only field the players you have available and if they don't have the quality to do what you want them to do then you have a problem.

So we need to see whether Clement rebuilds the squad and how he rebuilds it within the financial constraints he has.
People keep saying this but every single person I know and pretty much everyone on here said we needed Sterling in midfield and not to play a 10. There was plenty of options to do that yet he decided to repeat the same mistake for the 3rd time in a row.

Everyone knows whoever wins the midfield battle will win the old firm games 9 times out of 10 and he is started us with a handicap of 3 v 2 players in their favour.

It's not a great squad ,with injuries not helping. But the gaps between the team are shocking. Wether we are defending or attacking the team should be tight. Players miles apart and it been like that for the last few games. That's the managers fault. The structure should be drummed in. The defence sit too deep in box , and slow to go out at first goal when mcgregor turns back we should automatically move out but instead sit on 6 yard box giving too much space to oreilly. In contrast look at the celtic defence late in second half when tav was on left trying to get cross in he was pushed back by oreilly there whole defence stepped up aggressively leaving tav a chip into an empty space for Hart too easily claim. Basics in defending that clement is clearly not coaching into team regardless of players available .

It's not a great squad ,with injuries not helping. But the gaps between the team are shocking. Wether we are defending or attacking the team should be tight. Players miles apart and it been like that for the last few games. That's the managers fault. The structure should be drummed in. The defence sit too deep in box , and slow to go out at first goal when mcgregor turns back we should automatically move out but instead sit on 6 yard box giving too much space to oreilly. In contrast look at the celtic defence late in second half when tav was on left trying to get cross in he was pushed back by oreilly there whole defence stepped up aggressively leaving tav a chip into an empty space for Hart too easily claim. Basics in defending that clement is clearly not coaching into team regardless of players available .
We are very badly coached it shows on the pitch.

Clement still has the support of the of the majoritysupporters .

If he picks Lundstram And the same midfield as yrsterday he is going to lose a vast support.

I agree but he has to do better than the last few months we can barely take a proper throw in we look poorly coached .
He is not the problem the so called senior players who had us in a mess before he came are back dictating how we are playing now and they need gone asap no feelings just gone no matter whether they have fanboys or not ,the rot has set in our team needs fresh players and quickly,the only thing wrong as I saw with the manager yesterday was that his spat if true with Cantwell should not have stopped him playing even the second half,his job as manager is to put his best team on the field he owes that to our fans ,I don't give a shit if they don't get on then sell asap but don't drop a player on your ego.

It’s staring us in the face, it is imperative we get rid of the majority of the old faces, all the deadwood, the serial injury prone players. It’s a massive undertaking to do what needs to be done here and I honestly don’t think it’s going to happen so we’ll probably continue to limp on in the same fashion, just falling short when it comes to the crunch. It’s a horrendous situation we’re in and it’s pretty much self inflicted from the missed opportunity of failing to build on winning 55. I often wonder what club legends such as Walter, Coop and big Jock Wallace would make of the absolute rubble we’ve been turned into since 2012 barring the 55 and reaching the ELF? The endless capitulations to the filth is going to cause serious bother eventually if it’s not halted and brought back into a more respectable balance and SOON.

Last edited:

I don't for a second believe the manager should get slaughtered with the bunch of shitebags he is working with. What I would say though, is we were all happy to praise the levels he achieved when he joined when we were riding high. It's only fair you deal with the negativity when it comes crashing down. He did get a tune out of these players, but now he can't. That worries me a little because there are some fragmented relationships now and the happy faces playing their football when he joined are no longer there.

Clement is at much at fault as the players in my opinion. He does not get a free pass from me!
We lost the league title when he sat down to pick his team for the last OF and included Wright and Lawrence.

The fact that he picked Lawrence again today just underlines the extent to which he’s not not understanding the assignment.

My personal opinion is that he won’t be a successful Rangers manager.
I totally agree with this....

Back